DJ Jeffries last night

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
I liked the way he let the game come to him last night. He pressed a few times early in the season. Dude is a freak. He's gonna have some big time games for us this season in conference play.

Reactions: josebrown

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
10 points, 8 boards, 7 assists, 1 steal, and only 1 TO.

The 4 guys back from last year's team that play alot are significantly improved from last year. That's not just coincidence. That's coaching.

Jans was very complementary of him post game.

Said he had really been getting after it recently in practice, like a switch had flipped. Winning probably does that.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Who's the last MSU athlete where we've seen this kind of change in fan sentiment from one year to the next? Pretty much no one cared if he returned after last season - and now we love the guy. I know he's playing a different role now, but he's got a completely different level of focus & intensity to his game regardless of whether it's reflected in his stats or not.

Reactions: trob115

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
I made the comment last night that DJ is our best all around player. If he continues this type of play all season long, he'll make and NBA roster.

If Shak and Rams continue to shoot 40% from deep, we will be tough to beat. Tolu just finds ways to continue to get better too! Sure is nice to be excited about basketball again!

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
Who's the last MSU athlete where we've seen this kind of change in fan sentiment from one year to the next? Pretty much no one cared if he returned after last season - and now we love the guy. I know he's playing a different role now, but he's got a completely different level of focus & intensity to his game regardless of whether it's reflected in his stats or not.
Howland never could utilize his talent. It's remarkable to see what a good coach can do to unlock players potential.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Renardo Sidney?

Kidding obviously.

All I know is DJ has tools and skills and is a serious problem for other teams on both ends of the court when he's locked in. I very much like having guys like that.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Dude can be a monster as long as he relaxes and takes what is there. Every now and then he forces the issue and takes a silly shot or goes after points he shouldnt but when he doesnt push, he's a killer. He did some great things on both ends of the floor last night

Reactions: onewoof

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Dillon Johnson ***

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I thought Cam played very well too.

Cam’s always been a little rough around the edges, but you can just tell from the way he plays that he’s an incredibly hard worker, and I don’t think we’ve had too many better athletes in our history of MSU basketball.

It really does seem like he’s taken a big step this year, though. Better use of his strengths while understanding his limitations. Quite honestly, it seems like Jans has helped all our guys understand that about themselves. I just don’t see a bunch of guys trying to do too much out there

Reactions: SirBarksalot

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I like the way Jans has built the foundation of the team on smothering, hustling and relentless defense. I had a confident feeling and still do think our offense will feed off it and liked seeing us put distance between our opponent in FG%.

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
10 points, 8 boards, 7 assists, 1 steal, and only 1 TO.

The 4 guys back from last year's team that play alot are significantly improved from last year. That's not just coincidence. That's coaching.
I was impressed w/ the shot that he pinned to the glass.....I mean, it was his own shot. but still that counts. **

Someone must've had a come-to-jesus on his shooting, noticed that he's not jacking up 28' foot fade away jumpers off one foot anymore. Shooting is way more orthodox / arms & legs are more extended like he gives a ****. And when he needs a basket to jump start things he just drives baseline and gets it. That said. DJ will continue to get a ton of FT attempts this season driving in the paint. Gotta improve on 52%.FT.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I thought Cam played very well too.

11 points, 6 reb, 3 blocks, 2 assist, 1 TO. Not the most efficient night ever on 4-12 shooting, but still.
Yep, took about 4 ill advised shots but I'll take it

He looks good. He's due to go off soon at the hump

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Cam’s always been a little rough around the edges, but you can just tell from the way he plays that he’s an incredibly hard worker, and I don’t think we’ve had too many better athletes in our history of MSU basketball.

It really does seem like he’s taken a big step this year, though. Better use of his strengths while understanding his limitations. Quite honestly, it seems like Jans has helped all our guys understand that about themselves. I just don’t see a bunch of guys trying to do too much out there
Cam is one of my favorite players. Dude is an absolute freak athlete. If he can finish around the rim he'll be a matchup nightmare.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Chad Girodo

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
It helps a lot when you significantly upgrade your coaching. I thought Coach Howland was a marvelous person but it was pretty obvious that our team was not well coached while he was at MSU. His teams rarely ever played to the level they should have given the talent he brought in. Not sure if it was his age or if the game sort of passed him by a bit but the coaching of this team in comparison to what we've seen the last few years is a night and day difference.

Reactions: BonzoGoesToCollege

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Jans was very complementary of him post game.

Said he had really been getting after it recently in practice, like a switch had flipped. Winning probably does that.
Sometimes you can tell someone they have a gift in something, but they don’t believe it till they feel it for themselves. Then they believe.

Any coach can look at a player and tell them they have potential. But a coach has done something when you push them over the hump and they believe it in their mind. And then they engage.

maybe this is what happened.

Reactions: She Mate Me
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login