How much NIL is Vandy paying?

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
Our main problem is our president. He didn't "have to" promote Arnett. Cohen had been gone for 6 weeks when Leach died. It was widely rumored all season that Leach was having health issues and would resign after the season ended. Yet he dawdled hiring a new AD.
I'll listen to the argument that maybe we should have had an AD in place sooner. I'm sure in hindsight knowing Leach was going to pass, Keenum wishes he would have moved more quickly on an AD as well, but clearly what happened was unexpected.

So without an AD and our should-be HOF coach having just died, what decent coach would have taken our job? And how many players would we have kept? It obviously didn't work with Arnett, but at least we pulled the rip cord quickly. Hire a bad coach because that's all that would take our job, and then we're locked in for multiple years.

The point is the main driver of the mess we're in was the unprecedented death of the head coach during the season, and the timing of it made worse by not having an AD in place.

Jul 11, 2024
I don't know about resigning, but the health rumors were definitely there.
There might have been some health rumors but the statement “widely rumored all season” is over exaggerated.

the man was out and about late at night a decent amount with people at the SCC.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Our main problem is our president. He didn't "have to" promote Arnett. Cohen had been gone for 6 weeks when Leach died. It was widely rumored all season that Leach was having health issues and would resign after the season ended. Yet he dawdled hiring a new AD.
I'll revise that to say, our president meddling into athletics. I do think Keenum has done some good things and generally is fine, but yeah, this was bungled.

I don't even mind promoting Arnett honestly, but he needed to be made aware that this happened due to extraordinary circumstances, so he needn't make any big moves. But we had mouth-breathers here that were proclaiming that it was "HiS pRoGrAm" and that he should be allowed to run it how he wants and we should have stayed out. BULLSHLT. He doesn't get any head job if it wasn't for Leach's death, and that reality should have been made clear to EVERYONE and it wasn't.

Another problem is that Keenum should have read the room and figured out that Arnett and his band of mouth-breathers were becoming malcontents, slowly but surely. Should have just hired Spurrier Jr. on a temporary basis and if that meant T-bro Arnett left, so be it. Because even if Arnett had been required to keep the Air Raid crew, he might have undermined them.

All things considered, to keep all the peace, Arnett in place with an understanding that the Air Raid would be run, and no coaches let go, was probably the best choice for the situation.

DWarren

Oct 17, 2023
Aren't the NIL deals contracts between players and non-school entities? It doesn't seem like private school status would affect disclosure or permissibility of any NIL deals.
Most NIL deals are contracts between players and the collective. The details to those deals are hardly ever disclosed.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Vandy still has the academic issue that NIL can't fix.
What is it? I've heard this forever but I don't understand why it matters unless they do it to themselves. Nobody tells them who they can or can't admit, similar to Miami, Duke, Stanford, TCU, Baylor, Liberty, etc. Then you have the Georgia Tech's that are public, yet I still hear about "academic requirements".

If it means that the school in general is harder to handle for recruits, I understand. But they can definitely lower admission requirement if they want.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
What is it? I've heard this forever but I don't understand why it matters unless they do it to themselves. Nobody tells them who they can or can't admit, similar to Miami, Duke, Stanford, TCU, Baylor, Liberty, etc. Then you have the Georgia Tech's that are public, yet I still hear about "academic requirements".

If it means that the school in general is harder to handle for recruits, I understand. But they can definitely lower admission requirement if they want.
Because you can't have different admission requirements or academic standard for athletes than you do the regular students. Vandy is not going to lower their academic standards to get football players.

Jul 11, 2024
Vandy still has the academic issue that NIL can't fix.
I mean that’s a problem but also an advantage in a way.

There are smart athletes out there. Yes they are the minority but you don’t have to be a rocket scientist for Vandy to let you in to play sports. Just be smart enough to maintain a 2.5 gpa there.

If I’m a top 3 star with above average intelligence and i see these options,
1. Decent NIL pay day
2. Degree at vandy
3. Other decent recruits coming bc of the above.
I’d certainly consider it.

for Vandy, you get good athletes (maybe not the best), smart players, and generally players who work hard. You can win with that.

Jul 11, 2024
Because you can't have different standard for athletes than you do the regular students. Vandy is not going to lower their academic standards to get football players.
Those standards can be subjective.

for instance, I got into the US naval academy with a lower ACT score than most, but I had other things going for me. High gpa. High maths score on ACT. Tons of leadership extracurricular activities.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Because you can't have different admission requirements or academic standard for athletes than you do the regular students. Vandy is not going to lower their academic standards to get football players.
Is that really true? I bet they can make anything happen they want.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You are correct on this one but way off on the NIL.
Well, I asked the question in the OP. Can you tell me who is funding their NIL? Because it ain't a big number of their fans, like so many want our collective to be. Is it a couple of big donors? Is it a corporation? Because Vandy literally has no history to speak of, when supporting the football program. Or really any program. In basketball and baseball, their advantage has always been the education they can provide, and Nashville (and in the case of baseball, more scholarship money to get to a full ride).

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Well, I asked the question in the OP. Can you tell me who is funding their NIL? Because it ain't a big number of their fans, like so many want our collective to be. Is it a couple of big donors? Is it a corporation? Because Vandy literally has no history to speak of, when supporting the football program. Or really any program. In basketball and baseball, their advantage has always been the education they can provide, and Nashville (and in the case of baseball, more scholarship money to get to a full ride).
They have a lot of well off alumni.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well you asked who’s funding it Sherlock.
Specifics. They don't do it the way we do, with a bunch of people funding a little, plus the cigar boys, plus Dak.

Vandy in general has not cared about sports which is why they've never won. They didn't just up and fund it suddenly, especially while Clark Lea has gone 9-27 before this year (literally worst than Croom).

No, this is all due to Lea and his plan for the program, which was the point of the post to begin with. All those New Mexico State guys didn't come to Vandy because they got paid, they came to play SEC football.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Specifics. They don't do it the way we do, with a bunch of people funding a little, plus the cigar boys, plus Dak.

Vandy in general has not cared about sports which is why they've never won. They didn't just up and fund it suddenly, especially while Clark Lea has gone 9-27 before this year (literally worst than Croom).

No, this is all due to Lea and his plan for the program, which was the point of the post to begin with. All those New Mexico State guys didn't come to Vandy because they got paid, they came to play SEC football.
How do you know this? That seems like a lot of conjecture.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How do you know this? That seems like a lot of conjecture.
I'm just using reasonable assumptions, and I welcome anyone to prove me wrong with even more reasonable assumptions. Or specifics, if they have them.

And the overarching point is that NIL isn't our biggest problem on campus at the moment.

Jul 11, 2024

You have no idea who funds our nil.

If you do, show proof like you are asking regarding Vandy. And don’t say “it’s well known” because it isn’t.

www.vucommodores.com/vandy/nil

in March of 2023 they had raised $2.1 million

I can’t find it right but found an on3 site that said the top 3 players were getting about $900,000 between the 3.

Jul 11, 2024
I'm just using reasonable assumptions, and I welcome anyone to prove me wrong with even more reasonable assumptions. Or specifics, if they have them.

And the overarching point is that NIL isn't our biggest problem on campus at the moment.
Your reasonable assumption is Vandy never cheated in football before so why would they pay now.

bc it’s legal and they have a ton of money.

As I stated (for a fact), they had raised $2.1 million in March of 2023 and they had just started trying.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login