DL's and OL's Improvment

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
Many of you played alot more football than me, can the trenches on both sides be improved from this week to SEC level (not Vandy) by the time Billy comes to town.

Frog14

Sep 1, 2024
If Hutzler will formulate a game plan that doesn’t put our weaknesses on full display, then things may improve. Can’t get much worse!

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Many of you played alot more football than me, can the trenches on both sides be improved from this week to SEC level (not Vandy) by the time Billy comes to town.
You can overcome a position group if you have another strong group. I'm not sure if we have a really strong position group among the DL, LB or DB's. I think our secondary might be the best but are they strong? I would say serviceable.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You can overcome a position group if you have another strong group. I'm not sure if we have a really strong position group among the DL, LB or DB's. I think our secondary might be the best but are they strong? I would say serviceable.
DBs have looked surprisingly decent so far this season. DL is maybe even worse than I thought, and LBs are definitely worse than I thought. I had low expectations for the defense going in, but so far even those have not been met.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Our middle LB is too slow to do his job if the DL can’t command double teams. Instead of Bookie making tackles 2-4 yards down the field Isaac Smith is making them 7-10. Dinkins will help but the only way to overcome it is with additional personnel and SEC WRs will torch us with straight man and no safety help.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Offensive line will come around, we have some talent there on the line itself. Our RB room doesn’t look to be talented nor hard running. No one appears to be a tough runner or has “take it to the house speed”.
Our DL isn’t even USM talented. That’s on the DL coach. It won’t get better until he is fired and we get some players in.

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
It can be schemed. Joe Lee Dunn was out talented with the front 6 or 7 so we walked a lot of people up and never showed where we were coming from. But with this guy. We are probably screwed.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Interesting everyone is mentioning the 3 DL. Bama and USF played a 3 man front this weekend. Both were very physical. The difference was, both those teams, their DLs can get off a block. Their LBs are fast and physical.

States DLs struggle to get off blocks. LBs are slow to fill holes. That's a talent problem.

Also State walked an extra LB up to the line on many occasions, creating essentially a 4 man front. Didn't matter. If extra LB did get pressure he whiffed on the tackle.

I'm pretty sure we had 8 "in the box" numerous times ASU broke 5-10 yard gains. We had all 11 within 5 yards of the LOS on the late 4th down play that they broke for a long run.

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
The OL was the most improved group because they were lining up against our DL. This is basically 2023 part dueax. We desperately need to sign 2 4 star DL this year. And I don't even know about the OL. The " they need time to gel" mantra is putrid. These days that is an every year comment.

Reactions: 85Bears

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
DBs have looked surprisingly decent so far this season. DL is maybe even worse than I thought, and LBs are definitely worse than I thought. I had low expectations for the defense going in, but so far even those have not been met.
Considering they are having to cover WRs for an half hour every time the qb drops back.

Reactions: Indndawg and patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login