Do any of our QBs compete with Rodgers this year?

Capt Croom

Sep 18, 2022
I’m curious to see if our quarterbacks can compete/push/ or even beat out Rodgers. I guess it depends on how Barbay adjusts his offense to fit Rodgers skill set. That, is if he even does. I’m curious to see how Mike Wright does with a better team. I liked him and Vanderbilt, but how much better can he be with better talent all around him?

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I’m curious to see if our quarterbacks can compete/push/ or even beat out Rodgers. I guess it depends on how Barbay adjusts his offense to fit Rodgers skill set. That, is if he even does. I’m curious to see how Mike Wright does with a better team. I liked him and Vanderbilt, but how much better can he be with better talent all around him?
I thought Rodgers was going to New York?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Everyone is learning a new system, so I assume the other QBs will have a real chance to supplant WR.

I also think Barbay isn't scared to do some situational stuff. I wouldn't be shocked to see MW get 4-8 snaps a game.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If Rogers isn't the starter, it'll be a long, rebuilding year. Which will suck considering all the upperclass talent we will have on this team. I hope Barbay and Arnett understand this.

2024 should be the rebuilding year, where we will transition to Wright/Parson and ultimately to Barbay's preferred schemes.

Reactions: biodawg and patdog

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
As much as i hate scam, what if mike Wright is the next Cam Newton and we don’t play him bc of will rodgers? I get it, he’ll play whoever is better, but i worry about it

• Haha
Reactions: RiceDawg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I think this is a great thread question. Are there any reports from within regarding this? Or are we at too early of a juncture to answer that? I think Will's given us his best and I appreciate him for that. Based on Arnett's offensive staff changes, it would appear the QB job may be more up for grabs than many think however that's gonna take a longshot due to the low percentage of impact freshmen QB's.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Will should coast bc he's going to be the best decision maker due to his experience. We should be excited about that assuming he develops some pocket awareness.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Rogers and Barbay have both already said that while we are moving away from the Air Raid, the offensive system is being tailored to our personnel.

Arnett said that when he interviewed Barbay, he asked him what his offensive philosophy would be. Barbay responded by asking Arnett to show him the best 11 offensive players on the roster and he'd build a system to fit them.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Rogers and Barbay have both already said that while we are moving away from the Air Raid, the offensive system is being tailored to our personnel.

Arnett said that when he interviewed Barbay, he asked him what his offensive philosophy would be. Barbay responded by asking Arnett to show him the best 11 offensive players on the roster and he'd build a system to fit them.
I don't care what they say. Coaches have egos and do dumb sh*t all the time.

And it really depends on our recruiting as to whether putting "the best 11 offensive players on the roster" on the field is a good idea. If we can't land a bunch of elite players I'd almost rather have a plug and play system, like the Air Raid, Malzahn's, Triple Option, whatever. It's not a bad idea for MSU. Load up the defense (which has generally been the calling card of our best teams, and it's what MS produces year in year out) with your best players, then run an offense (or general plan) that you can coach over and over and over, catered to the average athlete type players we generally sign.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009

And it really depends on our recruiting as to whether putting "the best 11 offensive players on the roster" on the field is a good idea. If we can't land a bunch of elite players I'd almost rather have a plug and play system, like the Air Raid, Malzahn's, Triple Option, whatever. It's not a bad idea for MSU. Load up the defense (which has generally been the calling card of our best teams, and it's what MS produces year in year out) with your best players, then run an offense (or general plan) that you can coach over and over and over, catered to the average athlete type players we generally sign.
Barbay's point was that he's not going to force a system that isn't compatible to our roster just for the sake of running "his system." I think that's a good thing.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think is a true warrior and they probably consider him the starter until he's not. He just can't run but he can do anything else you need him to do. He his experience makes him valuable to a new coach.

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
If we start the year 2-3, very possible given the schedule,and the offense stalls, then what ? I think you may see Wright if that scenario develops. LSU, South Carolina on the road, Alabama...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If we start the year 2-3, very possible given the schedule,and the offense stalls, then what ? I think you may see Wright if that scenario develops. LSU, South Carolina on the road, Alabama...
Yeah, CHIEF. Let's go down that same, stupid black hole that MSU football always does. Calling for the backup QB 1/3 of the way through the year. That would be ridiculous but you know what, it'll probably happen and we'll slide right on down that cliff with all our mouth-breathers leading the way.

Society these days has no idea how to truly build anything, and then build again on top of what you built. Just want instant results, straight transaction.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah, CHIEF. Let's go down that same, stupid black hole that MSU football always does. Calling for the backup QB 1/3 of the way through the year. That would be ridiculous but you know what, it'll probably happen and we'll slide right on down that cliff with all our mouth-breathers leading the way.

Society these days has no idea how to truly build anything, and then build again on top of what you built. Just want instant results, straight transaction.
This whole thread is ridiculous. If I had $1 for every new backup QB people who have pushed for the starting job who never turned out to be as good as hyped. Well, I guess I’d still only have $20 or so, but still. People been trying to push Will out of the starting job ever since he’s gotten, when the truth is no one’s even been close to doing it.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006

That’s called ego and interviewing 101 - tell them what you could do with a mix of what you think the interviewer wants to hear

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
This whole thread is ridiculous. If I had $1 for every new backup QB people who have pushed for the starting job who never turned out to be as good as hyped. Well, I guess I’d still only have $20 or so, but still. People been trying to push Will out of the starting job ever since he’s gotten, when the truth is no one’s even been close to doing it.
It is silly when you consider the difference between Rogers's experience and the rest of the quarterbacks. It's also one of the things that scare me. If he was to go down and not get up anytime this season, what would we do, especially if it's early in the schedule?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
If Rogers isn't the starter, it'll be a long, rebuilding year. Which will suck considering all the upperclass talent we will have on this team. I hope Barbay and Arnett understand this.

2024 should be the rebuilding year, where we will transition to Wright/Parson and ultimately to Barbay's preferred schemes.
I think bar bay and Arnett know way more than you. I know that’s obvious to most of us but clearly not to you so I’m letting you know.

Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I don't know how the guys competing for the job stack up but I will bet you this, Rogers already knows and understands the new offense the better than any of them and probably better than some of the assistants at this point LOL. Not saying he has all the physicals tools to run it to perfection but I guarantee you he understands the playbook.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018

Coaches may make a lot of coin but most were probably PE majors. They are not on average a group of rocket scientists like we would like to think.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
We'll have bama at home in week 5 w/o bryce young or will anderson......why not roll-out a complete new offense w/ a new qb.

Aug 22, 2012
Six in the qb room in the spring. Rogers and Wright the only two with any appreciable experience. The two freshmen Parson and Sutton (Madison Central), Weir from Tupelo, and Asher Morgan, a walk on from Philadelphia (threw passes to Tulu in high school). Rogers obviously the man to beat. Should be interesting to see what ZA decides to do with the two freshmen and who ends up the main backup.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Rogers is one of the better QB's State's had. Sure he's got a lot of passing yards because of the Air Raid, but that's because he runs it well. I'd be surprised if he doesn't pick up the new system and has a good year. I wouldn't ask him to run a lot, though, and the new OC needs to understand his QB's limitations.

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
Wright is a great runner and may really fit well with this offense. Nobody knows at this point, air raid hid wills deficiencies really well.

i Can see wright getting a shot if this offense struggles and the team is not winning.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Wright is a great runner and may really fit well with this offense. Nobody knows at this point, air raid hid wills deficiencies really well.

i Can see wright getting a shot if this offense struggles and the team is not winning.
Barbary’s QBs ran for a combined near 0 yards the last 2 seasons. Wright will back Will up unless Will gets hurt. Will is a much better passer & it’s not just the air raid.

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
Barbary’s QBs ran for a combined near 0 yards the last 2 seasons. Wright will back Will up unless Will gets hurt. Will is a much better passer & it’s not just the air raid.
Well Barbay hasn’t had an athlete like Wright the last two seasons either. If you want to go strictly by Barbays last two season, then we will run the ball on first and second downs. I’m not sure anyone knows what bArbays offense is going to be for sure at this point. ill agree with you if the offense is doing well and we are winning games. but no coach is going to stick with a player if things Aren’t going well that lead to losses.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Well Barbay hasn’t had an athlete like Wright the last two seasons either. If you want to go strictly by Barbays last two season, then we will run the ball on first and second downs. I’m not sure anyone knows what bArbays offense is going to be for sure at this point. ill agree with you if the offense is doing well and we are winning games. but no coach is going to stick with a player if things Aren’t going well that lead to losses.
How is benching your best QB going to help the offense get better? Better question is why are some of you guys fantasizing ways to bench our QB for the last 3 years?

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
It sounds like you are saying there is no scenario where Wright plays over Will, I’m going to disagree. there are scenarios where Wright would play. One such scenario is if we start the year 2-3 and the offense is stagnant and not moving the ball. coaches aren’t going to lose their job because they don’t want to change qbs for a game.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Probably not. Now, Wright may come in on occasion and run some Wildcat stuff, but he's not gonna pass much. Rodgers should be the man. If not, we're likely in a world of hurt.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login