Do MSU and Ole Miss offer similar scholarship money to kids who..

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Just get national merit and 17 the ACT

Except the English section. Score of 24 is required.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
In the past MSU was a little stingier with merit based scholarship money than OM. But that also changes year to year and department by department.

I can tell you from personal experience this is true. My daughter had a 33 ACT and was a national merit semi-finalist and State was very stingy - and she's a legacy, too. Ole Miss offered her a full ride. She ended up going to MC, where she got more scholarship money than State. It was frustrating.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
ACT scores for Asian Americans are still rising. Asian Americans also are the richest, most educated, along with Nigerian Americans, and have low out-of-wedlock birthrates, low divorce rates, low rates of criminality, drug abuse, and low rates of self-destructive behavior overall compared to other Americans. Maybe a few more generations of Asian Americans will become more American and their behavior and outcomes will regress to the mean.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
ACT scores for Asian Americans are still rising. Asian Americans also are the richest, most educated, along with Nigerian Americans, and have low out-of-wedlock birthrates, low divorce rates, low rates of criminality, drug abuse, and low rates of self-destructive behavior overall compared to other Americans. Maybe a few more generations of Asian Americans will become more American and their behavior and outcomes will regress to the mean.

Well ok then, but more importantly, do MSU and OM offer similar scholarship money to the Asian Americans and Nigerian Americans?

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
My kid has been graduated 5 years now, but a 32 on the ACT for an out of state student essentially got all the tuition paid for plus some of the room and board in year 1 in the chemical engineering program. Came out essentially debt free with plenty of businesses looking for MSU engineers when they graduated.

Mine was in mechanical. He came out debt free and with his 529 still intact. He used that to do a masters elsewhere.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
And in 2021 it dropped to the lowest composite since at least 1992.

https://blog.prepscholar.com/average-act-score-by-year

Without knowing the mix of test takers, that doesn't tell you that students aren't scoring higher though. If people are taking it earlier in high school and taking it more often, that would likely drop the average score as freshmen and sophomores taking it tend to do worse, while also raising the scores of individuals, as they score better on the test in subsequent attempts. Or it could be a result of more schools making an effort to ensure all their students take the ACT and/or SAT. If less affluent schools push the ACT harder, or more affluent schools try harder to get their socioeconomically disadvantaged students to take it, they could simultaneously be getting more high scores by finding some unidentified academic talent while also driving the average down.

Would be interesting to know what percentage of high school seniors take it each year and what the average score of seniors has done over time, as well as the number of students scoring 30+ over time.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I know two twins females. One is going to Ole Miss and the other is going to Miss State. They both are in different majors. They both are getting the same amount of money. However if either on had gone to the other school with the same major they are in now both would have had less money.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Clever. Not really

Well ok then, but more importantly, do MSU and OM offer similar scholarship money to the Asian Americans and Nigerian Americans?
I'll answer anyway. I suspect MSU, for diversity reasons might do so for Nigerian Americans but perhaps not for Asian Americans because, while they count for diversity bonus points and bragging rights, they aren't considered as "diverse" as other ethnic groups (they're successful and have been assigned white adjacency status by the super smart and morally superior wokesters). The Ivy League discriminates against Asian Americans in favor of others, especially rich non-whites and rich legacy white kids (legacy admissions are affirmative action for white people at elite schools). State's engineering programs should be recruiting the hell out of Asian Americans and Nigerian Americans. They're smart, successful Americans who face no stereotype about, say, living in trailer parks which should raise the academic status of our beloved university. State should also recruit the high achieving, non-wealthy kids rejected by the Ivy League and other elite schools. Unfortunately, Ole Miss just has more money than State. At a recruiting event last fall for seniors at my daughter's pricey private school, Ole Miss was there and impressed. State wasn't. Arky and Alabama and LSU and Auburn were there too.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Don't stop at websites. You need to talk to people on campus. We got a LOT of money that wasn't on the website.

Every parent of a kid that is graduating in May 2023, this fall semester, schedule a meeting with the financial aid people on campus. Within two hours, you will save enough money to buy some bad *** classic car, or atleast make a dent in the overall cost.

Puppychow

Nov 5, 2014
Just get national merit and 17 the ACT

Except the English section. Score of 24 is required.

My son has a 35 ACT composite and National Merit. The National Merit has been the bigger hit with college recruiters. Alabama is offering a full ride, plus stipend, and study abroad for a year. Plus they are offering a fifth year accelerated masters. As an alum, I’d love for him to go to State, but there’s no way MSU will match that offer. And besides engineering, a degree from Bama has more national prestige.

forestdepth

Feb 20, 2018
My son has a 35 ACT composite and National Merit. The National Merit has been the bigger hit with college recruiters. Alabama is offering a full ride, plus stipend, and study abroad for a year. Plus they are offering a fifth year accelerated masters. As an alum, I’d love for him to go to State, but there’s no way MSU will match that offer. And besides engineering, a degree from Bama has more national prestige.

Congrats! That’s something to be proud of. What is he majoring in if not engineering?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login