Do we care enough to have a Tennessee preview?

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
You can look at all the stats involved for both teams to get an idea of how this game might go, or you could just look at the last eight years, since Rick Barnes arrived in Knoxville. He's owned Mississippi State in that time, going 11-2 against us. The two wins? We won in 2017 and in 2020, years in which the Vols were down. Bad news - they aren't down this year. The simple truth is that UT has been by far the tougher team on the floor for most all of those games in the Barnes era and have physically imposed their will on us, including last years two games, an 11 point UT win in Starkville and a 34-point evisceration in Knoxville. In their current five game winning streak against us, we've cracked 60 points one time. ONE TIME. It's just been domination throughout Barnes' tenure. Maybe you want to expect something different on Wednesday, but put me in the camp of "I'll believe it when I see it."

If you want the stats...
They are elite defensively. #2 at KenPom, #6 at Torvik, #5 in FG % defense allowing only 37.6% shooting, #32 in scoring defense, #42 in 3pt FG % defense. Holy cow we might not crack 50, much less 60. To give us our due, we are still measuring out very good defensively - #10 at KenPom and 12 at Torvik. Top 10 in three point defense and top 20 in FG defense and points per game.

Offensively they are very good but not as great there as they are defensively. They are currently a top 100 team in ppg but they don't shoot it all that well, 226th nationally. It helps to be shooting 78% from the line, but they don't get there a ton. They shoot a lot of threes, about 26 per game, but are about dead solid in the middle of the country in making them 34% (166th of 351). They're just outside the top 100 in tempo but again middle of the pack in fast break points. They are a top 100 team in offensive rebounds, so that helps them get more opportunities. We are a top 100 team in defensive rebounding but after what I saw on Saturday I'm not sure we will stay there. They also don't turn it over much and are top 50ish in fewest turnovers per game and turnover margin.

Dalton Knecht (he definitely pronounces the K in his name) leads them in scoring. Transfer from Northern Colorado. He has a nice game. Shoots it well from three but big enough at 6-6 to take it to rim and finish. Behind him are some familiar UT names - Jonas Aidoo, Josiah Jordan James, Zakai Ziegler, and Santiago Vescovi. James and Vescovi are fifth year seniors. Aidoo and Ziegler are juniors. Those four have played a lot of games together and it shows.

I'd love to have some confidence going into this one, but I have none at all. I'm anticipating another butt-whipping. Prove me wrong Dawgs.

• Sad
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
So....you are saying we will lose Wednesday and win Saturday against Bama ?? Hmm...sounds plausible to me.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yep. And it’s inexcusable. You win the Southern game and your fine. But this is what our Basketball program has become. A Blue print for mediocrity. But I’m sure our sunshine pumpers will give Jans a pass.
Holy hell

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Yep. And it’s inexcusable. You win the Southern game and your fine. But this is what our Basketball program has become. A Blue print for mediocrity. But I’m sure our sunshine pumpers will give Jans a pass.
It’s ok. Baseball will miss Hoover for the third straight year so we have that to look forward to

3215Dawg

Dec 29, 2023
It’s ok. Baseball will miss Hoover for the third straight year so we have that to look forward to
Exactly. These transplants that come in to run our programs don’t seem to understand or care about what is being paid for. To bad we don’t have anyone with the courage to fire them when they need to be

• Haha

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
My *** will be there to watch us lose a close one. We have to win Saturday though.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I think we can beat them on the right night. I haven’t given up on this team at all. We’re not playing at a high level right now, but we’ve had good wins already, and this is a better team than last year

Reactions: BirdPuppy

3215Dawg

Dec 29, 2023
I think we can beat them on the right night. I haven’t given up on this team at all. We’re not playing at a high level right now, but we’ve had good wins already, and this is a better team than last year
It is not. In what way do you think it is? The amount of money that will be wasted on this basketball team will make what the baseball team has wasted last year look like pocket change.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You can look at all the stats involved for both teams to get an idea of how this game might go, or you could just look at the last eight years, since Rick Barnes arrived in Knoxville. He's owned Mississippi State in that time, going 11-2 against us. The two wins? We won in 2017 and in 2020, years in which the Vols were down. Bad news - they aren't down this year. The simple truth is that UT has been by far the tougher team on the floor for most all of those games in the Barnes era and have physically imposed their will on us, including last years two games, an 11 point UT win in Starkville and a 34-point evisceration in Knoxville. In their current five game winning streak against us, we've cracked 60 points one time. ONE TIME. It's just been domination throughout Barnes' tenure. Maybe you want to expect something different on Wednesday, but put me in the camp of "I'll believe it when I see it."

If you want the stats...
They are elite defensively. #2 at KenPom, #6 at Torvik, #5 in FG % defense allowing only 37.6% shooting, #32 in scoring defense, #42 in 3pt FG % defense. Holy cow we might not crack 50, much less 60. To give us our due, we are still measuring out very good defensively - #10 at KenPom and 12 at Torvik. Top 10 in three point defense and top 20 in FG defense and points per game.

Offensively they are very good but not as great there as they are defensively. They are currently a top 100 team in ppg but they don't shoot it all that well, 226th nationally. It helps to be shooting 78% from the line, but they don't get there a ton. They shoot a lot of threes, about 26 per game, but are about dead solid in the middle of the country in making them 34% (166th of 351). They're just outside the top 100 in tempo but again middle of the pack in fast break points. They are a top 100 team in offensive rebounds, so that helps them get more opportunities. We are a top 100 team in defensive rebounding but after what I saw on Saturday I'm not sure we will stay there. They also don't turn it over much and are top 50ish in fewest turnovers per game and turnover margin.

Dalton Knecht (he definitely pronounces the K in his name) leads them in scoring. Transfer from Northern Colorado. He has a nice game. Shoots it well from three but big enough at 6-6 to take it to rim and finish. Behind him are some familiar UT names - Jonas Aidoo, Josiah Jordan James, Zakai Ziegler, and Santiago Vescovi. James and Vescovi are fifth year seniors. Aidoo and Ziegler are juniors. Those four have played a lot of games together and it shows.

I'd love to have some confidence going into this one, but I have none at all. I'm anticipating another butt-whipping. Prove me wrong Dawgs.
I feel like their D is wasted on us since we weren't planning on scoring anyway. Put me down for a 'W'.**

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Basketball is my favorite sport, but I almost prefer football simply because there are only 12 or 13 times each season where SPS might melt down with child like fits and tantrums.
With basketball, there are 32 to 35 times where SPS might melt down with child like fits and tantrums.

My 16yo daughter, who can go from calm to overreacting outrage before you even say a single word, has more emotional maturity and leveled reasoning than many people on SPS.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Meh, with all the neck tattoos and bad attitudes….it kinda makes me sick to my stomach to watch it. Get a couple of dunks early in the game. Start yelling and talking trash. Might throw up a couple of letters from the alphabet using sign language. Get the other teams good and motivated then show off our Lackadaisical guards not putting in the effort to go after loose balls and rebounds.
Why would you ever watch a team play when you have such clear disdain for the people playing and their abilities?

mparkerfd20

Aug 22, 2012
I was in a wait and see mode. Well I waited and saw and am now in a wait and not give a **** mode.

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
This is all there is to it. Simple. People would rather meltdown over losing on the road to a middle of the pack SEC team, as if that has been a layup at any point in the past.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Y’all are some dumber mother 17ers

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Exactly. These transplants that come in to run our programs don’t seem to understand or care about what is being paid for. To bad we don’t have anyone with the courage to fire them when they need to be
You think it’s time to fire Chris Jans?

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
If you want to be optimistic, here’s what I think is a path to victory.

Cam and DJ hold Knecht and JJJ well below their averages. Jones may be part of that too. Tolu and Bell do the same to Aidoo. That leaves Ziegler and Vescovi as the remaining big threats. Can’t let both of them go off, maybe one but not both.

No RAT. Gainey, Mashack, Awaka, Estrella…none of them need to be in double figures.

UT is a little thin behind Aidoo. Would love to see him in persistent foul trouble. Commit to feeding the post. I thought Tolu forced some things on Saturday. If it’s there take it. If it’s not, kick it out and maybe try the entry again.

Points are likely to be at a premium. Push some tempo and try to convert in transition or with good looks early looks. The deeper the shot clock goes, the less confident I am that we will score.

We have to rebound. I’d take a draw in that area but we can’t get killed on the glass again and feel good about our chances.

I think we need to play Hubbard, Murphy and Fort more. Might sacrifice some defense but at least those guys are a threat to score.

What’s that? Six or seven things? Maybe get five of them to hit and see what happens.

I’d also take it if we went 14-19 from three and cruised to a 15-20 point win.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The key with this team is effort on defense and on the boards. We did not get that effort on the boards last time out.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
If you want to be optimistic, here’s what I think is a path to victory.

Cam and DJ hold Knecht and JJJ well below their averages. Jones may be part of that too. Tolu and Bell do the same to Aidoo. That leaves Ziegler and Vescovi as the remaining big threats. Can’t let both of them go off, maybe one but not both.

No RAT. Gainey, Mashack, Awaka, Estrella…none of them need to be in double figures.

UT is a little thin behind Aidoo. Would love to see him in persistent foul trouble. Commit to feeding the post. I thought Tolu forced some things on Saturday. If it’s there take it. If it’s not, kick it out and maybe try the entry again.

Points are likely to be at a premium. Push some tempo and try to convert in transition or with good looks early looks. The deeper the shot clock goes, the less confident I am that we will score.

We have to rebound. I’d take a draw in that area but we can’t get killed on the glass again and feel good about our chances.

I think we need to play Hubbard, Murphy and Fort more. Might sacrifice some defense but at least those guys are a threat to score.

What’s that? Six or seven things? Maybe get five of them to hit and see what happens.

I’d also take it if we went 14-19 from three and cruised to a 15-20 point win.
Damn dude, that was pretty close.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login