Do we go back to the well again or have we learned a lesson about the “process”?

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
He is a guard for starters. I guess if we need a guard or think he can play center we need to get him. He is not a SEC tackle tho.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Move Cole Smith to center and let this guy help if he can indeed help.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
I'd say take any D1 lineman we can for now. If Leach thinks he's a player, I trust him

ETA: I just now see he is a guard. We've had good guard play. I'd hold out for a OT

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
This guy has a few years left to play. If you can get him get him.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
It’s the coaches’ choice to make and we have no input either way. I just want them to get the issues sorted out because the OL play has to improve before next year if they are going to compete and win more games.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It’s the coaches’ choice to make and we have no input either way. I just want them to get the issues sorted out because the OL play has to improve before next year if they are going to compete and win more games.

Well, hate to break it to you, but our OL play is very unlikely to improve before next year. I'd be thrilled if it stayed the same, which is probably not going to happen.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Well, hate to break it to you, but our OL play is very unlikely to improve before next year. I'd be thrilled if it stayed the same, which is probably not going to happen.
The key is age. I feel pretty good if everybody that starts is at least a 4th year player, or 3rd year player with some real talent who has earned it (Grant Jackson). We know we have 3 spots to fill, and we have these guys:

1) Nick Jones - 4th year player a year out of JUCO (played some this year)
2) Carson Williams - 4th year player a year out of JUCO
3) Percy Lewis (hopefully) - 3rd year player top OL straight from JUCO
4) Grant Jackson - 3rd year player (played some this year)
5) Reed Buys - 4th year player (played sparingly this year)
6) Dolla Bill - 5th year player (played extensively but less reliable due to other factors)

Not to mention Jones and Smith will be a year older, and should be better. The key with Lewis is getting him in the S&C program in January. Surely we can put something together with that group.

We obviously can't replace Cross, so LT will get worse, but maybe the line as a whole can get better.

Last edited:

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
IF we can get Percy and get him in shape and can get Dolla Bill coached up we should be good at tackle. Those 2 are huge dudes. Reed Buys will get a shot at center. Hopefully he can step up and do the job. You can never have too many good OL tho. If we miss on anyone he can fill the spot. Only so many numbers.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
IF we can get Percy and get him in shape and can get Dolla Bill coached up we should be good at tackle. Those 2 are huge dudes. Reed Buys will get a shot at center. Hopefully he can step up and do the job. You can never have too many good OL tho. If we miss on anyone he can fill the spot. Only so many numbers.

Is Dolla Bill an option at OT? I thought he was pretty much limited to guard?

And man it scares me to think about a JUCO transfer stepping into LT in the SEC.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
He was the RT before they replaced him with Lashley. Hopefully he can get his poop in a group and be ready to play at a high level next season

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
Replacing a Charles Cross sucks. He could take anybody in the country 1:1 and neutralize them. Allowing your other 4 to go 4:2 against the drop 8. Those guys are very hard to replace. He’s the best I’ve seen since Tunsil, and I think Tunsil is the best college player I’ve seen at Ole Miss, if that tells you anything. He’s going to be a cornerstone for some smart NFL franchise.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016

I feel the same way, it’s a big concern. There is a solid chance that this team stalls next year and struggles to get seven wins. Anything above that would be a really good year considering the schedule.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020

We do need a few OTs… but we do not need turnstiles.

We need as many good OL players as we can get so I say take him if we can. He's a sophomore so 2 years left and this is the area where the blue chip teams mop up. We always end up with 3 star players on the OL except in a few exceptions like Cross. If we don't get the protection for Will it will be a long year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login