Do you believe Bond and Dak are thought more highly of than Don Smith and why?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Yes, they are and my thoughts on reason, Bond beat Number one and Dak got us to Number one. Also, Dak play in a different era and is more recent but Don Smith was a heck of a QB. I think Smith had better numbers than Bond and he is the only of the three to play in and score a TD in a Super Bowl.

What you say?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Dak all day. Don could throw it though. Watched him in HS and college. He was ahead of his time.
Bond was a great wishbone guy.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Smith was a great player, but he played on some bad teams. The other two guys led their teams to some good seasons. Players on good teams are often remembered more fondly.

And Dak's the best to ever play at State, so of course he's thought of more highly.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Do y’all not remember him getting busted selling dope less than like 500 yards from a kindergarten school when he was in Tampa? And there were some HUGE drug peddling from Hamilton, MS during his time at State. But he ran 63 yards to beat Johnny Majors @ Tennessee in 1986 and i was there!!! Got so damn sunburned at that game…

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I remember Smith coming out against Bama in Birmingham with over 150 yards total yards in the first quarter. Bama couldn't stop him. Then he got injured on a sideline tackle and Bama went on to win by three touchdowns.
He was fun to watch, but leading the team during the Bellard slide.

Bond was not a bad passer, he threw some bombs to Danny Knight, just a much better runner. He was the Dude.

Dak's legend status would be even greater if he could have won at least one of his last two games against OM or the 2014 game at Bama. HE looked lost during the Orange Bowl, but I blame Dan for that bull---t. Hell, I blame Dan for all of those losses. He would have lost the 2013 Egg Bowl too if not for Dak's heroics.

Felker was fun to watch too. And we should all give a nod to Fitz.

but we must never ever forget... Superman! He should always hold a special place in the hearts of Bulldog fans.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
yes. Bond and Dak are remembered far more than Smith. Because as has been said, Bond and Dak played on bowl teams. Smith never did.

if only 86 had played out better for Smith. We started 6-1. But lost to USM for the 1. (Good grief). Then went on a skid v Auburn, Bama and LSU. Then we had our chance to get to 7 wins in the season finale vs OM. But It rained a lot and I swear water stood on every inch of that field. Smiths speed was neutralized and of course we lost badly. Finished the season 6-5 and No bowl.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Don never played in a bowl.
Don never beat Ole Miss.
Don had more career interceptions than the did TDs.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I attended State at the same time as Smith. Our teams were awful. What impressed me most about Smith was he ran 4 different offenses during his 4 years at State. As a Freshmens he was Bond's backup in the wishbone. As a Sophomore starter, he ran the I formation. His Junior year, Bellard tried to save his career with the inverted wishbone ("EBO"). Then Rockey brought in a pro set in 1986. He did his job well in each offense.

I was really proud of him for getting MVP in the Senior Bowl and impressing the pro coaches with his versatility. Then he scored the Bills first TD in Super Bowl XXV.

But, yeah, the end of his career is embarrassing. After a herniated disc ended his playing career, he became a Tampa business owner. I don't know anything about him selling drugs, but he was arrested for trying to buy a half kilo from an undercover cop ...that wasn't for personal use.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I remember Smith coming out against Bama in Birmingham with over 150 yards total yards in the first quarter. Bama couldn't stop him. Then he got injured on a sideline tackle and Bama went on to win by three touchdowns.

Bond was not a bad passer, he threw some bombs to Danny Knight, just a much better runner. He was the Dude.

Dak's legend status would be even greater if he could have won at least one of his last two games against OM or the 2014 game at Bama. HE looked lost during the Orange Bowl, but I blame Dan for that bull---t. Hell, I blame Dan for all of those losses. He would have lost the 2013 Egg Bowl too if not for Dak's heroics.

but we must never ever forget... Superman! He should always hold a special place in the hearts of Bulldog fans.

Relf was one of my favorites too. Tough dude.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Smith had the coolest poster in MSU football history though....
This poster was State’s bid for PR in Don’s heisman run after the Tennessee game. We flew in a professional photographer to take pics at that game… this was the best pic he took.

Reactions: Maroon13

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
I attended State at the same time as Smith. Our teams were awful. What impressed me most about Smith was he ran 4 different offenses during his 4 years at State. As a Freshmens he was Bond's backup in the wishbone. As a Sophomore starter, he ran the I formation. His Junior year, Bellard tried to save his career with the inverted wishbone ("EBO"). Then Rockey brought in a pro set in 1986. He did his job well in each offense.

I was really proud of him for getting MVP in the Senior Bowl and impressing the pro coaches with his versatility. Then he scored the Bills first TD in Super Bowl XXV.

But, yeah, the end of his career is embarrassing. After a herniated disc ended his playing career, he became a Tampa business owner. I don't know anything about him selling drugs, but he was arrested for trying to buy a half kilo from an undercover cop ...that wasn't for personal use.
All Don Smith did his freshman year was play special teams. What a waste of his freshman year. Then when Bond was gone Smith alternated with Orlando Lundy… That dude could run circles around anyone on the field. Then they moved him to WR to try and get both players on the at the same time. Lundy and Bruce Plummer were both from Bogalusa. Plummer was a STUD that would knock you the 17 out… was successful with the Denver Broncos for a while…

Reactions: josebrown

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
All Don Smith did his freshman year was play special teams. What a waste of his freshman year. Then when Bond was gone Smith alternated with Orlando Lundy… That dude could run circles around anyone on the field. Then they moved him to WR to try and get both players on the at the same time. Lundy and Bruce Plummer were both from Bogalusa. Plummer was a STUD that would knock you the 17 out… was successful with the Denver Broncos for a while…

Yep! But Smith did come in vs Alabama in 1983 (I was there). Bond got banged up. Parenton was ineffective. Anyways Smith came in and took a few snaps at QB. (Had to edit. Parenton had a ball tipped and Bama luck resulted in a pick 6. )

I worked with a guy that played with Plummer in HS. When my co-worker realized I was a State fan...he talked about Plummer every time we met. He was a Plummer fan.

Yeah, I can't remember the year.....maybe 85? Lundie played a good bit. Smith was hurt. I remember his biggest play was at Scott field. He ran towards the east sideline. LSU (I think) had he him cut off. He reversed field all the across to the west sideline and was gone for a TD.

Last edited:

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007

If you don't have a soft spot in your heart for Ralph then I'm not sure you're really a State fan

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Yeah, I can't remember the year.....maybe 85? Lundie played a good bit. Smith was hurt. I remember his biggest play was at Scott field. He ran towards the east sideline. LSU (I think) had he him cut off. He reversed field all the across to the west sideline and was gone for a TD.

Aug 23, 2012
Yes, they are and my thoughts on reason, Bond beat Number one and Dak got us to Number one. Also, Dak play in a different era and is more recent but Don Smith was a heck of a QB. I think Smith had better numbers than Bond and he is the only of the three to play in and score a TD in a Super Bowl.

What you say?
Both Smith and Dak were Senior Bowl MVPs. Jackie Parker is before all of your times but must be considered as one the top 3

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Both Smith and Dak were Senior Bowl MVPs. Jackie Parker is before all of your times but must be considered as one the top 3

Yup. If you're a fan of State history, you gotta know Parker. Two time SEC player of the year. Considered one of the 10 or so best players in CFL history.

We've got two players in the college football HOF. Parker and DD Lewis.

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
Yep! But Smith did come in vs Alabama in 1983 (I was there). Bond got banged up. Parenton was ineffective. Anyways Smith came in and took a few snaps at QB. (Had to edit. Parenton had a ball tipped and Bama luck resulted in a pick 6. )

I worked with a guy that played with Plummer in HS. When my co-worker realized I was a State fan...he talked about Plummer every time we met. He was a Plummer fan.

As a kid Don Smith was my favorite player after Mardye McDole. I was up for a baseball or basketball camp and met him one year. Was the coolest experience of the week. He took me up to his dorm room and dug thru his drawer for the best Miss State Football t-shirt he had to give me. I felt bad for taking it honestly, but I was a kid, he was my hero, and he insisted after he had the idea.

I treasured that shirt and nearly lost my mind one year shooting fireworks. I had a pocket full of fireworks in my jacket with that t-shirt on underneath. Someone shot a bottle rocket at me, or threw it, it landed in that pocket lighting everything and burned a big hole in that t-shirt….. I’m sorry Don! You were my hero, and it did upset me to ruin your t-shirt! Thanks for the memories!

Ps….. about the op’s message about Dons changing pos career…Omar Conner. What if we had Omar or Don coming in to run Barbay’s offense? Of course, Dak, Bond, Don, Relf or Omar.….would be cool…not bad for a school that’s never had a QB, huh? We did have one, Marlor maybe, that had a great CFL career throwing it too I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maroon13

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

What you say?
Yea because a growing number of our fans are not old. I never saw John Bond play and I couldn’t pick out Don Smith out of a lineup.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Yea because a growing number of our fans are not old. I never saw John Bond play and I couldn’t pick out Don Smith out of a lineup.

I never saw DD Lewis play at State, but I respect the hell out of what he accomplished as a Bulldog.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login