Do you guys see our WR trend continuing?

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Our top three WRs in the last two years have bounced. Do you think State will be able to hang on to developing stars? I know we spread the ball around nicely but Thomas’s 50/50 ability will be missed in the bowl game. I hate to see State continue to waste time and resources developing guys for other teams to snatch up. I think Tulu being on the outside has a lot to do with a lack of solid second team talent in that position.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
It’s not just us. The second and third tier teams are just going to be practice squads for the big boys when they miss on a recruit or suffer an injury.

Reactions: 32 Dive

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Our top three WRs in the last two years have bounced. Do you think State will be able to hang on to developing stars? I know we spread the ball around nicely but Thomas’s 50/50 ability will be missed in the bowl game. I hate to see State continue to waste time and resources developing guys for other teams to snatch up. I think Tulu being on the outside has a lot to do with a lack of solid second team talent in that position.
Rara Thomas is a very talented receiver.

He was also tied for fourth on the team in receptions. In three games he only caught one pass. He caught two passes or fewer in five games. We have twenty receivers on our roster. We will be fine.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

Yes. I think we have 6 four star WRs now and we got one already committed. I expect a couple in the portal.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
RaRa and Heath both have a little something in common. Both got a little attitude going, and they both have good ability (mix of size and speed). These type guys generally won't be fits for a Leach team.

I understand Heath, I always thought he was an Ole Miss type star gazer from the beginning, 4 star guy and had some hype. RaRa, I mean our competition for him was South Carolina. I really don't get why he acted the way he did. He took plays off and got a little pissy more than once in a game.

The only way we're going to get that alpha type receiver is if we just happen to sign the high-talent guy who is mature, like Crabtree. There's not many of those in Mississippi. Walley is in that mold, but he doesn't have that high end talent like the others. He needs to take another step. I really thought he'd be the guy after 2020.

Besides that, we're going to have to find the disciplined guys and develop them. Rufus Harvey comes to mind.

Reactions: mdm3045

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Exactly right. He wanted more NIL and the truth is Leach was not that impressed with him. Leach has a high standard and a low tolerance for ********. He wants precise routes every play. All out guys take games off. Honestly I think that is why Will looks crappy for stretches of games. It seems like to me Leach blames the receivers mostly. They definitely disappear. Rara and Walley in particular.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I think Robinson, Griffin and Harvey will develop into a Leach type receivers and get a lot of snaps next year. Ducking and Wlley need to toughen up to be more consistent after the ball arrives. The good news is we've got some good receivers and we're just waiting on them to take the next step to be 1000 yard receivers.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Exactly right. He wanted more NIL and the truth is Leach was not that impressed with him. Leach has a high standard and a low tolerance for ********. He wants precise routes every play. All out guys take games off. Honestly I think that is why Will looks crappy for stretches of games. It seems like to me Leach blames the receivers mostly. They definitely disappear. Rara and Walley in particular.
You are right about Leach. Most of his frustration seems to be directed towards receivers so I figured they are the biggest issue. Honestly I’m not blown away by any of them. Tulu has been pretty consistent but he doesn’t get many touches. Robinson looks promising and he hasn’t had any big blunders.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
The bigger issue is keeping RBs. Apparently Marks and Johnson are testing the market in search for more carries and better NIL deals.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Don’t forget Knox leaving. Looks like he’s a bust but he was “the fastest man in TX” and a 4 star. I believe he is the highest ranked WR to sign with State. Leach doesn’t need NFL style WRs. He just needs a few Austin Williams and some RBs who have pretty good hands. At least that’s all that is needed for Rogers in the air raid.

Reactions: mdm3045

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Leach will bring in good receivers. I'm more concerned about him bringing in pass blocking linemen, safeties, or pass rushers.

Reactions: #ShowOff

tribaldawg

Sep 1, 2012
You are 100% correct. The number being floated around that he was looking for is a crazy number even if he would have been a great receiver. When you have a mediocre season like he did he should be asking a fourth of what he asked.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Its 1 guy this year and yes I see that happening at almost every school. 1 year deals renewed at the end of the regular season. Some call it "the portal" or "NIL" but it is 1 year free agency.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Heath was not a top 3 receiver for us. Polk went to the NFL
Like him or not, he was our 3rd leading returning WR and lead us in YPC. He has talent, but so do many others, he had a nice year for UM.

Polk had a great year for us, but his draft stock was not high (he was an UDFA) and is currently on the Giants Practice Squad. Him coming back likely would have helped his stock, with a little NIL money he may have been inclined to give it another year.

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Like him or not, he was our 3rd leading returning WR and lead us in YPC. He has talent, but so do many others, he had a nice year for UM.
you forgot to say he lost his 3rd Egg Bowl in a row.

Austin Williams had more TDs than Heath, as did Ducking and Rara. Griffin had the same # as Heath. So he would have moved from 3rd to tied for 4th.

Ole Miss threw to him a bunch, often long, but it didnt result in any significant wins for them this year. He was the guy teams often forgot or didnt worry about covering

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I agree about Polk. Another year would have been good for him. My understanding is Heath was told to move along. He took a lot of plays off. He did have a good year with the black bear shark rebs tho

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
RaRa and Heath both have a little something in common. Both got a little attitude going, and they both have good ability (mix of size and speed). These type guys generally won't be fits for a Leach team.

I understand Heath, I always thought he was an Ole Miss type star gazer from the beginning, 4 star guy and had some hype. RaRa, I mean our competition for him was South Carolina. I really don't get why he acted the way he did. He took plays off and got a little pissy more than once in a game.

The only way we're going to get that alpha type receiver is if we just happen to sign the high-talent guy who is mature, like Crabtree. There's not many of those in Mississippi. Walley is in that mold, but he doesn't have that high end talent like the others. He needs to take another step. I really thought he'd be the guy after 2020.

Besides that, we're going to have to find the disciplined guys and develop them. Rufus Harvey comes to mind.
I don't know what happened with Walley. A couple years ago I'd have expected him to be a star in this offense by now. Instead he has mostly disappeared. We have a lot of receivers and I fully anticipate we will find more. Would love to see a more consistent target step up next year.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
They hate the offense. So yes it will continue he. Especially big body WR who thrive against man coverage.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
If they signed up to come play in an offense they don't like maybe they aren't smart enough to run precise routes. These days it's very easy to find out exactly what offense Leach runs. So....I highly doubt that is remotely close to true. Good thing you are not an Alabama fan or Texas A&M fan.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
They all need to move along then. This wasn't a bait and switch.
While I’m not completely sure a player knows exactly how the offense runs- mostly they just know we throw a lot- there is a much bigger issue here even if you accept that they do know.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Question for you:

If we had a big armed QB making explosive plays downfield and these top WRs were involved in those big plays, do you really think they would be bouncing?

Second question for you:

Why aren't our developing stars on defense bouncing?

I think our problem is something too many folks don't want to talk about.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Question for you:

If we had a big armed QB making explosive plays downfield and these top WRs were involved in those big plays, do you really think they would be bouncing?

Second question for you:

Why aren't our developing stars on defense bouncing?

I think our problem is something too many folks don't want to talk about.

1. I think there is little doubt that highly talented outside receivers will have reservations about playing in this current offense configuration and perhaps the scheme in general. It certainly looks a lot different than the way TN or Bama runs passing plays. Will has accurate 30 yard arm talent but those teams will sling it 40+yards and let their guys run under it.

2. Arnette’s defense looks fun to play for but I also question how much NFL talent exists there due to their general lack of speed. I assume the players have to balance their potential draft stock and that earning potential vs. how much they make now, the odds of improving under Arnette, and thus raising their NFL earning potential in another year.

In short, the defensive players appear to have more faith in Arnette than the skill position players have in Leach.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login