Do you really trust Cohen to make a good hire to replace Howland?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
There’s such vitriol for Cohen with people like you that no matter who he hires you’ll ***** about it. Next hire needs to be a mid major coach.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Wait to the end of season to see if...

...Howland even should be replaced (which is a dubious move)

NOATLDAWG

Dec 29, 2020
And thank god for it. I will never understand the 'Are we good at anything but baseball since Cohen was hired' group? I mean, ****... That has to be a group of under 40 year olds that are spoiled *** rotten MSU fans of late...We have always only really been good at baseball and thank god Cohen finally helped us deliver.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I was on record panning his baseball hire. And I was dead wrong. Bastard is not infallible, but he's earned, at least from me, some level of confidence that he can find the right guy. Hopefully he's already at work searching.

patdog

May 28, 2007
This was after botching the previous baseball hire and missing on his first several targets on hire #2. Cohen's record hiring coaches is very hit & miss. He's had some home run hires (Lemonis, the volleyball coach, I think the soccer coach was a good hire) and some big misses (Cannizaro, Moorhead), and some the jury is out on (Leach).

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
This was after botching the previous baseball hire and missing on his first several targets on hire #2. Cohen's record hiring coaches is very hit & miss. He's had some home run hires (Lemonis, the volleyball coach, I think the soccer coach was a good hire) and some big misses (Cannizaro, Moorhead), and some the jury is out on (Leach).
I don't see how missing on someone should be a strike against him, as long as he got the right guy in the end. There are multiple 'right guys', just like there are multiple compatible spouses for everyone. I see no reason not to shoot for the moon, who cares if they say no?

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
And thank god for it. I will never understand the 'Are we good at anything but baseball since Cohen was hired' group? I mean, ****... That has to be a group of under 40 year olds that are spoiled *** rotten MSU fans of late...We have always only really been good at baseball and thank god Cohen finally helped us deliver.

Cohen helped us deliver by not coaching. Remember when he used to bunt in the 2nd inning? The “we have always been good at baseball” is because only a handful of programs try to be good at baseball. Vandy has won two National Championships, but their core Fanbase is probably around a 1000 fans… same for Florida. Coastal Carolina won a National Championship in baseball before MSU. Ole Miss will probably win one in a year or two of Bianco would quit burning their arms in March.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Cohen helped us deliver by not coaching. Remember when he used to bunt in the 2nd inning?
Cohen took a program at the bottom of the SEC and within 3 years was back in a Super Regional, within 4 years had won the SEC Tournament, and within 5 years finished as the national runner-up. He later wins an overall SEC Championship.

Strike 1.

The “we have always been good at baseball” is because only a handful of programs try to be good at baseball. Vandy has won two National Championships, but their core Fanbase is probably around a 1000 fans… same for Florida. Coastal Carolina won a National Championship in baseball before MSU.
This has been disproven so many times over it's not even worth debating. You can't just throw resources at something and be good at it. You have to be able to find a coach and attract players. And there's always an element of randomness to baseball, i.e. Coastal.

Strike 2.

Ole Miss will probably win one in a year or two of Bianco would quit burning their arms in March.
That literally only happened last year. All the years before, they just choked, period. Bianco definitely is an arm killa, but not always in March like both he did last year due to lack of depth. I mean you just trivialized winning the CWS, after we showed how hard it was to do last year, and claimed Bianco would just "probably win one". Yeah OKAY.

Strike 3, congratulations you're an idiot.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
IMO (going back to the Moorhead firing fiasco) Cohen and Keenum are as heavily influenced by our "cigar boys" as any AD and Pres we've ever had. I'm sure Cohen conducts searches but I seriously doubt he (and Keenum) make any hires on their own. It think this what some call "the golden rule" .

patdog

May 28, 2007
That's why I said it was a home run hire. Cohen definitely deserves credit for it.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
That's why I said it was a home run hire. Cohen definitely deserves credit for it.
Ah, misread your context.

And I do agree that it's hard to completely trust Cohen because his misses have just been total mind blowers. I could have told him from the beginning that Moorhead was a bad hire (for us, at that time). And Cannizaro, while it made sense because it was odd-timing and we needed a 'recruiter'....well, the signs of immaturity were there early.

I honestly think he needs someone around him that has some discernment. Not sure if that's present in our AD at the moment.

Last edited:

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I don’t think you can really blame Cohen for Cannizzaro flaming out. He took us to a Super Regional in his first year before his personal issues derailed him. You can’t blame Cohen for that.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I can't imagine that even a cursory due diligence check on Cannizzaro wouldn't' have turned up the red flags. He didn't just decide out of the blue to sext his bimbo from the dugout one day.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Ole Miss is on my shortlist of teams that are due to break through with a national title.

Florida State and Arkansas are ahead of them.

North Carolina State is pulling even with the Rebels who are in a pack with Louisville and Texas A&M with Clemson off in the distance.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I mean... look... no Power 5 school outside the state of North Carolina or Kentucky is going to fire an AD based on the win-loss record of their basketball coach.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
You gotta love a guy using Coastal Carolina winning a CWS to show how easy it is to win in baseball. Par for course.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
True. Coastal had long been seen as a team that was Omaha capable for years before they made it and won. It seemed like they were many people's trendy pick to be the team that would break through and make some noise.

A lot of people think of Dallas Baptist in a similar way. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Patriots make the CWS before the decade is over.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
But the bigger point is its tough to win in baseball because so many teams can be good even without support.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
It's apparent that some of you have never or are not in a position to hire and fire people for whatever company you work for.

As good as resume's may look, how great references may talk about candidates, how great someone is at in person interviewing unfortunately a lot of times hiring someone can be a crapshoot.

Cohen has had some hires that panned out and some that haven't but somehow people only want to crap on the ones that didn't. None of us, to my knowledge, have been in the room when the decision was made. We have no idea what influence Keenum, "cigar boys" or some other person may have had on the decision.

It's easy to look down and make judgments after the fact but unless you are currently responsible for hiring for your company or have done so in the past, you really may want to sit this discussion out.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Wtf are you talking about having to pass muster with Nelle politically. You just made that up. Mike Leach is a pretty well known conservative and somehow he managed to be hired. I know a lot of people don’t like Cohen because he’s left leaning or Jewish or something, but don’t make up ****.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The bigger reason it's tough to win it all in baseball is the nature of the game. Only 2 losses can put you out, and when 2 good teams play it's hard to have a winning percentage much greater than .600. There's just a lot of randomness in the postseason. MLB does a better job by playing best of 7 series, but that's just not practical in the college game.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login