Do you think Arnett is being stubborn and is continuously playing Will...

bulldognation

Jan 26, 2004
His answer the first time he was asked that question tells you everything. He was too busy coaching to hear the students chanting for Wright.
I guess he’s just too busy.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I’m guessing they see enough downside in Wright’s passing game that they don’t think it’s worth switching him out full time. The OL isn’t helping Will very much either and he’s the type of QB that needs plenty of time and a clean pocket to produce. At this point they may as well give Wright a full series because he at least might be able to improvise when the pass protection inevitably breaks. If he has a strong arm he might also be able to drop a bomb when protection does hold up.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I hope he does play I am so people can see we are no better with him as the quarterback. Will is definitely not a great quarterback, but that is the big issue. It would be just a bandaid for a humongous bleeding wound.

Reactions: RiverCityDawg

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
I'm off the Will bus. I don't even mind him having concrete feet, but for a 4th year QB to throw that int before the half that took us out of the game....naw, I've seen enough.

Reactions: BigBully and kired

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I honestly think Arnett is over his head and really just isn’t cut out for this. He left Will out there so long that he got booed by the student section. I don’t think he’s doing it out of spite, I honestly think he is scared to pull the trigger for whatever reason

can you imagine how pissed off all of us will be if he finally plays Wright and he looks like the second coming of Michael Vick?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
because he doesn't want to succumb to fan uproar? I don't know if replacing Will is the 100% answer but damn - let Wright fling the ball a few times and play a couple of series.

It's not a great strategy but not playing Wright is a complete head scratcher. Even in garbage time.
I would guess that Will knows the multitude of plays and audibles.

The problem is that when every other player is out there getting banged up and you have a team that is getting through the line you have to have a QB that can run and make something out of nothing. Will is great when he has time. Much better than average passing when he has time. But that is a luxury that you really don't get often in the SEC unfortunately.

A player like Wright may not be able to open the entire playbook yet. But by God he can get more first downs running when the play breaks down. A quality that every good SEC QB must have.

Sep 16, 2023
arnett obviously is more concerned with the Rogers stat line than wins and losses column. In no program are these stat lines indicative of a guy who has the position “on lock”. Regardless if they’re a freshman or a 6th year Covid senior, production like the games listed above should at least result in more playing time for QB2 if not a complete swap until the back up proves otherwise.

Attachments

• 921B1B8C-0C25-4702-AD66-52C9B17BD8B8.jpeg
    921B1B8C-0C25-4702-AD66-52C9B17BD8B8.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 15

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
He's waiting on Brad Peterson to tell him what to do.
Canadian Lol GIF

It's funny but also sadly possibly true.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
because he doesn't want to succumb to fan uproar? I don't know if replacing Will is the 100% answer but damn - let Wright fling the ball a few times and play a couple of series.

It's not a great strategy but not playing Wright is a complete head scratcher. Even in garbage time.
I’m not convinced he has any strategies at all that are thoroughly thought out at this point.

Reactions: blitz2Win

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I understand Wright might not be a great passer, but Will ain't lighting it up either. He made some good throws against SC, but without Pittman making a great behind the back reach and getting into the endzone, that would have been an incompletion on a bad pass. Will should be pretty accurate on the short RB throws by now. Both Wright and Parson need snaps against WMU. Will is not the answer in this RPO offense.

Reactions: Anon1671817627

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
I understand Wright might not be a great passer, but Will ain't lighting it up either. He made some good throws against SC, but without Pittman making a great behind the back reach and getting into the endzone, that would have been an incompletion on a bad pass. Will should be pretty accurate on the short RB throws by now. Both Wright and Parson need snaps against WMU. Will is not the answer in this RPO offense.
Will Bois will say Mike Wright can't hit the broad side of a barn, while in the same breath defend Will throwing a duck 10 yards short of a receiver as someone else's fault.

The fact is Mike Wright could have made every single one of the throws that Will Rogers has made this year. Will has yet to make a throw this year where we were amazed at how great he was and how no one else could make that. Mike threw 57% a Vandy with a worse OL and worse WRs yet Will throws 59.7% this year and the Will Bois pretend like Mike couldn't do that.

It's a complete and utter indictment on this staff that we are 5 games into the season with 3 blow outs (wins/losses) and Mike Wright doesn't have an entire series to play. It was an issue with Leach and it's even worse now because Will isn't playing well.

Last edited:

DawgBot

Jun 3, 2006
I think some of the players are on the roster currently because it would have been just so cold blooded to come in and cut people after Leach died. I understand that. No clue why Wright is not getting a chance now though. He has SEC starting experience.

Reactions: knock him out john

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
They are both one dimensional. He's going with the more experienced dimension. Why he's not getting the other more experience for next year is a head scratcher.

Nov 25, 2019

yes

NWADawg

May 4, 2016

Will is around 1400 yards from being all time SEC career leader. I wonder if that influences coaches or if coaches are encouraged by AD or President (big media moment) to go get that record. Would it be different if Will was still 5000+ away from record?

rem101

Jan 22, 2008
I think that Arnett doesn’t want to be the guy that benches the QB with basically all of the school’s passing records.

Which gets to what may be the worst case scenario for next year. What if Will comes back?
Peterson is supposedly pushing for Will to come back.

Simmer

Jun 21, 2013
CZN is all about senior leadership and doesn't give a damn about keeping seats filled. He will lose to Western Michigan before he grows a pair and benches a 4 year starter. He's simply afraid to make the tough decisions.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
All you wannabe 1992 guys calling for a QB change are gonna be real disappointed when the outcome is unchanged if we ever do play Wright significantly. I'm sure he will add a short-lived spark, but it's not a needle mover for this offense. We have to throw to be successful.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think that Arnett doesn’t want to be the guy that benches the QB with basically all of the school’s passing records.

Which gets to what may be the worst case scenario for next year. What if Will comes back?
Wills best deal would be to graduate transfer to an air raid school. I would say wazzu or wku. I hate that for him and is. But that's what he should do. However if he ever wanted to sniff nfl he needed to show he could operate a pro style offense. So far not so good. 5 years as a starter at qb is not good for a player or the school. That means you aren't good enough to get drafted yet the school keeps trotting you out as the starter.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Will is around 1400 yards from being all time SEC career leader. I wonder if that influences coaches or if coaches are encouraged by AD or President (big media moment) to go get that record. Would it be different if Will was still 5000+ away from record?
He's not going to make it unless he has some huge games over this month

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
All you wannabe 1992 guys calling for a QB change are gonna be real disappointed when the outcome is unchanged if we ever do play Wright significantly. I'm sure he will add a short-lived spark, but it's not a needle mover for this offense. We have to throw to be successful.
Nobody is saying abandon the throw. We are saying add someone that adds to the run game in a better way. Running him in one play a series is dumb as hell. Throws offense off. Also if will is throwing ducks, what's the point of him being in anyway.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Two things:
1) The real problem is the line.
2) With the exception of Dak's last two years our fans have pretty much always thought the best QB was the back up. About the only time they have been right was when Dak was the backup.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

No, I think Rogers is the best QB we have. I 100% agree with others that we are running an offense we are not geared for. I saw that we are running more 12 man personnel than we are 10 man personnel. That's mind boggling.

LSU gives up massive yards to Ole Miss. What does the coach do, steps out and hires another DL coach yesterday.

Anybody in their right mind can see our OL is not blocking well in this system. So fix the factual problem. Step out and hire another OL coach!

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Wills best deal would be to graduate transfer to an air raid school. I would say wazzu or wku. I hate that for him and is. But that's what he should do. However if he ever wanted to sniff nfl he needed to show he could operate a pro style offense. So far not so good. 5 years as a starter at qb is not good for a player or the school. That means you aren't good enough to get drafted yet the school keeps trotting you out as the starter.
Yeah by now we would have seen a jump. I know he's not a 5th year but nobody really makes that jump in their 5th year. Physically you are what you are by your 3rd or 4th year. And we've OBVIOUSLY seen that the 6th year super seniors don't make any difference. Rogers seems to me like a typical TX HS recruit, overcoached but lesser talent and maxed out by the time they are freshmen. And they never make that physical jump. You also see this with the travel baseball circuit - just absolutely coached out to the maximum limit....just can't get any better. Not to mention that yeah, 5 years is just too much, relationship just wears thin in college.

Nobody is saying abandon the throw. We are saying add someone that adds to the run game in a better way. Running him in one play a series is dumb as hell. Throws offense off. Also if will is throwing ducks, what's the point of him being in anyway.
I know. I just think we will still suck. If Wright can sling it accurately, then yeah this is a cruel joke.

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
Two things:
1) The real problem is the line.
2) With the exception of Dak's last two years our fans have pretty much always thought the best QB was the back up. About the only time they have been right was when Dak was the backup.
SEC QB's with least amount of pressure on them for the season (in order):

1. Carson Beck
2. Brady Cook
3. Jayden Daniels
4. Payton Thorne
5. Joe Milton
6. Will Rogers

We are 5th highest in Sack %

Will has the 9th most time in the pocket.

The line isn't great but it's not as bad some people want to make it out to be.

Pressure is a better indicator of line play than sacks because QBs can cause the sacks by holding on to the ball too long (a Will Rogers special).

Will Rogers advanced stats on the season:

Uncatchable Thrown Ball %: 26% | Last in the SEC
Explosive Pass Play %: 11.5% | 11th in the SEC
Successful Play Rate: 41% | Last in the SEC
Big Pass Play Rate (+35 yards): 3.3% | 11th in the SEC
Adjusted Completion %: 73.3% | 12th in the SEC
Inaccurate Throws: 50 | 2nd most in the SEC

Before the Will Bois chime in

Drop Rate for Receivers: 5.74% | Lowest in the SEC

Deltaduckhunter

Feb 25, 2017
We have not seen how Wright can pass the ball. If he is limited there, we would really have the opposite of what we have now. Defenses would not respect the pass and just load up the box.

Unfortunately I suspect fixing our offense isn't as easy as putting Wright in full-time.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login