Do you think Arnett is being stubborn and is continuously playing Will...

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Yeah by now we would have seen a jump. I know he's not a 5th year but nobody really makes that jump in their 5th year. Physically you are what you are by your 3rd or 4th year. And we've OBVIOUSLY seen that the 6th year super seniors don't make any difference. Rogers seems to me like a typical TX HS recruit, overcoached but lesser talent and maxed out by the time they are freshmen. And they never make that physical jump. You also see this with the travel baseball circuit - just absolutely coached out to the maximum limit....just can't get any better. Not to mention that yeah, 5 years is just too much, relationship just wears thin in college.

I know. I just think we will still suck. If Wright can sling it accurately, then yeah this is a cruel joke.
Because it does nothing to fix the actual problem.

Big Dawg81

Oct 7, 2019
I think that Arnett doesn’t want to be the guy that benches the QB with basically all of the school’s passing records.

Which gets to what may be the worst case scenario for next year. What if Will comes back?
You don’t want to see next year. Marks, Tulu, Banks, DeCarlos, Preston, Russell,Watson, Pickering, Jett, almost the entire O-line, Richardson and Crumedy will be gone. The stunning part is where is the NFL talent for these seniors. I don’t think any of those are 100% getting drafted

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
SEC QB's with least amount of pressure on them for the season (in order):

1. Carson Beck
2. Brady Cook
3. Jayden Daniels
4. Payton Thorne
5. Joe Milton
6. Will Rogers

We are 5th highest in Sack %

Will has the 9th most time in the pocket.

The line isn't great but it's not as bad some people want to make it out to be.

Pressure is a better indicator of line play than sacks because QBs can cause the sacks by holding on to the ball too long (a Will Rogers special).

Will Rogers advanced stats on the season:

Uncatchable Thrown Ball %: 26% | Last in the SEC
Explosive Pass Play %: 11.5% | 11th in the SEC
Successful Play Rate: 41% | Last in the SEC
Big Pass Play Rate (+35 yards): 3.3% | 11th in the SEC
Adjusted Completion %: 73.3% | 12th in the SEC
Inaccurate Throws: 50 | 2nd most in the SEC

Before the Will Bois chime in

Drop Rate for Receivers: 5.74% | Lowest in the SEC

Say what you will, but the proof is in the numbers. Somebody on Genes pointed out that we are now allowing 1 sack per 10 passing attempts. Last year it was 1 in 24.

PA passes require 3.0 seconds on average in protection. On deep shots, it's longer. Again per Genes posters with stats, we are at 2.3

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
All you wannabe 1992 guys calling for a QB change are gonna be real disappointed when the outcome is unchanged if we ever do play Wright significantly. I'm sure he will add a short-lived spark, but it's not a needle mover for this offense. We have to throw to be successful.
That is probably true. Everybody on this board realizes this is probably true. Disappointment is part of the psyche of every State fan so it should not be a revelation or a deterrent to change. Changing QBs may point the needle to a win or just as equally to another loss. At this rate we may be staring at 4-8, so try something different, maybe the injuns will smile on us this time.

Reactions: Maroonguy2015

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
No, I think Rogers is the best QB we have. I 100% agree with others that we are running an offense we are not geared for. I saw that we are running more 12 man personnel than we are 10 man personnel. That's mind boggling.

LSU gives up massive yards to Ole Miss. What does the coach do, steps out and hires another DL coach yesterday.

Anybody in their right mind can see our OL is not blocking well in this system. So fix the factual problem. Step out and hire another OL coach!
Will may be the best QB we have but won’t know that for sure if Wright or even Parsons don’t get an opportunity and not just a few plays or 1 series.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
All you wannabe 1992 guys calling for a QB change are gonna be real disappointed when the outcome is unchanged if we ever do play Wright significantly. I'm sure he will add a short-lived spark, but it's not a needle mover for this offense. We have to throw to be successful.
He can outrun 300-pound D Lineman and 230-pound LB's. We will not see as many sacks. It would also change the way Defense have to play us. When you have a good running back with a dual threat QB Defense plays you differently. Will is not a threat. Many times Will is their Offensive MVP.

Sep 16, 2023
Insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly but expecting a different result. The majority of the fan base would love a “short lived spark”. What’s the worst that happens? We lose?

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
He can outrun 300-pound D Lineman and 230-pound LB's. We will not see as many sacks. It would also change the way Defense have to play us. When you have a good running back with a dual threat QB Defense plays you differently. Will is not a threat. Many times Will is their Offensive MVP.
Yes, he can and did vs Bama. He was flushed out of the pocket several times. On a 3rd and 11, it was Rogers that ran up the middle not avoiding contact to get the first down. on a 2nd and 11, he again ran for a first down...15 yards on that one.

Nothing in any stat points to lower sacks due to a mobile QB. The 2 most sacked QBs in the SEC are KJ and Milroe. We rank 110th this year in sacks allowed. There are only 130 teams. Rogers is the same QB as last year. The OL is the same except 1 guy and last year we were ranked 54th. Massive change.

No, the will not play him differently. In fact they will cheat up more because he is not a threat to pass it.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Yes, he can and did vs Bama. He was flushed out of the pocket several times. On a 3rd and 11, it was Rogers that ran up the middle not avoiding contact to get the first down. on a 2nd and 11, he again ran for a first down...15 yards on that one.

Nothing in any stat points to lower sacks due to a mobile QB. The 2 most sacked QBs in the SEC are KJ and Milroe. We rank 110th this year in sacks allowed. There are only 130 teams. Rogers is the same QB as last year. The OL is the same except 1 guy and last year we were ranked 54th. Massive change.

No, the will not play him differently. In fact they will cheat up more because he is not a threat to pass it.
How do we know until they let him. I do believe he has a TD pass and that one long run by Will was a QB draw play. O line blocked it perfectly, but Will cannot get away from the pass rush enough. A lot of times he just folds up. If he could run many of his interceptions would not have been thrown. He forces it too much because he can't get away from pass rush. In Air Raid he got rid of all really fast. In this offense he can't and gets into trouble. We can argue about Wright all we want but until they give him a complete series we will never know and we will keep losing games because of Will Rogers turn overs.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
How do we know until they let him. I do believe he has a TD pass and that one long run by Will was a QB draw play. O line blocked it perfectly, but Will cannot get away from the pass rush enough. A lot of times he just folds up.
1- They know from every day practicing. Are you saying that the OC and HC is not doing what's best for MSU to win? They need to be fired if that is the case. He could not keep the starting job at vandy and was a 57% passer throwing limited amounts of passes.

2- QBR vs Mizzou 56. Vs Wake..2.7 (not a typo) Vs Florida... 50.7 Vs Tennessee 12.4

3- Again, stats do not bare out that Mobile QBs avoid the sacks more. Wright has been caught behind the LOS too this year. His rushing stats vs the power 5 teams is bad. Here are the numbers. Yards per attempt..... 2.37. That's right. From AZ to today, that's what his average is.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Will isn't good enough. Try something else & go back to him if it doesn't work. It's not hard. He'd be doing Will a favor by showing Wright isn't good if he's not. Let's see what happens this week.

Reactions: patdog

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
1- They know from every day practicing. Are you saying that the OC and HC is not doing what's best for MSU to win? They need to be fired if that is the case. He could not keep the starting job at vandy and was a 57% passer throwing limited amounts of passes.

2- QBR vs Mizzou 56. Vs Wake..2.7 (not a typo) Vs Florida... 50.7 Vs Tennessee 12.4

3- Again, stats do not bare out that Mobile QBs avoid the sacks more. Wright has been caught behind the LOS too this year. His rushing stats vs the power 5 teams is bad. Here are the numbers. Yards per attempt..... 2.37. That's right. From AZ to today, that's what his average is.
I am pretty sure they are doing their best. We had one arm tied behind our backs on defense, but the offense can't keep putting them in bad positions. They need to try something else. Like EdHailState said they can always go back to him. At least we have a lighter opponent this weekend and then a week off. Time to heal and work out the problems. I don't think the season is over. The SEC is very average, and every team left on our schedule are very beatable. We lost to SC because of two interception and a fumble ball by Will that cost a TD where they had to settle for a field goal. Turnovers are a ***** and Rogers has given too many points to our opponents and for us to even have a shot to get to bowl eligible that has to stop.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I am pretty sure they are doing their best. We had one arm tied behind our backs on defense, but the offense can't keep putting them in bad positions. They need to try something else. Like EdHailState said they can always go back to him. At least we have a lighter opponent this weekend and then a week off. Time to heal and work out the problems. I don't think the season is over. The SEC is very average, and every team left on our schedule are very beatable. We lost to SC because of two interception and a fumble ball by Will that cost a TD where they had to settle for a field goal. Turnovers are a ***** and Rogers has given too many points to our opponents and for us to even have a shot to get to bowl eligible that has to stop.
We lost to USC due to the defense. We set a record on offense. Roger's did not throw 2 ints. It was one. Rogers in the middle of a throw is hit because an OT whiffed on a block in a slow developing 11 Personnel play.

Last year, we gave up 1 sack every 24 passing attempts. This year 1 in 10. What changed? Not Rogers. Not the OL. However the offense changed. We have seen OTs pulling in the wrong direction. We have seen the complete OL not know who to block. We just burned a true freshman's RS. That kid is an OT having to play TE.

We have a room full of 4 star WRs, but we are running more 12 personnel than 10. Go ask any coach that's worth a damn if they would run more 12 than 10 with a TE room like that and a WR room like that. It's a total waste of a year and talent.

And what really ticks me off about this staff is the fact I know he can run 10 personnel. I know he can put back in enough Air Raid to keep the QB in rhythm. I saw it vs USC. He ran AR concepts down to the wide OL splits. You can nullify a pass rush with 10 personnel very easily.

To prove that point, here is a video of the USC game where we are lined up in AR with wide splits.

First play... OT misses block and TE fails to block and Marks takes a loss. That's the first play of the game. The reason, they don;t get 11 personnel assignments.

The next play is AR. At the 7:30 mark you see the 10 and the wide splits.... and PERFECT protection. Rogers puts the ball on the money 30 yards in air.

The biggest question of all is why he can not bring himself to do what needs to be done. It's not the team, it's the staff.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I think there’s a good chance it went like this:

- Day 1 when Barbay is drawing up the offensive scheme for the season, there’s an understanding that Will is QB1. There was never a world in which we started the season with him on the bench.

- Scheme is designed to be a balanced attack. Which most of us, and probably the coaches too - thought would complement Rogers. Everyone knows he’s limited, so get him in situations where defenses are forced to defend the run which opens up passing lanes.

- Design a few packages for Wright to keep the defenses off balanced and use his speed

I believe the coaches simply misjudged a few things. Possibly things that only came to the surface once the games started.

1. Our OL isn’t good. This is the crux of all our offensive woes. Rogers is just not comfortable in the pocket. He’s done this his whole career. If the pocket isn’t clean, he panics and it’s probably a sack due to his lack of mobility.

2. Which brings up the next point in that Rogers is more limited than we even realized. Pressure is gonna come. You have to be able to either escape, or at least step up in the pocket and make a throw. Our OL isn’t great, but I’ve seen so many sacks where they protected “good enough” to at least get a decent pass off - but Rogers had already tucked and braced for the hit. Leach was able to hide a lot of these limitations, but let’s be honest. How many good offenses do you know of have a slow QB with an average arm?

All to say, the coaches were in a tough spot. You had to go into this year with Rogers as QB1. But now that it’s clear he not good enough, you have to also be able to go with a backup plan in Wright.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Yeah, Rogers must look the best in practice throwing. Wright is obviously a better runner. However, if we made the switch, SEC defenses would just over load the box and dare us to throw.

Wright had approximately a 53% completion percentage at Vandy. Maybe he gets a little more protection here to throw and that number goes up....but Will must be throwing it better in practice or just as well.

Last edited:

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
The answer is more play action passing and less read option RPOs with Will. Duh. And stop the double reverses. It hasn't and doesn't work.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
We lost to USC due to the defense. We set a record on offense. Roger's did not throw 2 ints. It was one. Rogers in the middle of a throw is hit because an OT whiffed on a block in a slow developing 11 Personnel play.

Last year, we gave up 1 sack every 24 passing attempts. This year 1 in 10. What changed? Not Rogers. Not the OL. However the offense changed. We have seen OTs pulling in the wrong direction. We have seen the complete OL not know who to block. We just burned a true freshman's RS. That kid is an OT having to play TE.

We have a room full of 4 star WRs, but we are running more 12 personnel than 10. Go ask any coach that's worth a damn if they would run more 12 than 10 with a TE room like that and a WR room like that. It's a total waste of a year and talent.

And what really ticks me off about this staff is the fact I know he can run 10 personnel. I know he can put back in enough Air Raid to keep the QB in rhythm. I saw it vs USC. He ran AR concepts down to the wide OL splits. You can nullify a pass rush with 10 personnel very easily.

To prove that point, here is a video of the USC game where we are lined up in AR with wide splits.

First play... OT misses block and TE fails to block and Marks takes a loss. That's the first play of the game. The reason, they don;t get 11 personnel assignments.

The next play is AR. At the 7:30 mark you see the 10 and the wide splits.... and PERFECT protection. Rogers puts the ball on the money 30 yards in air.

The biggest question of all is why he can not bring himself to do what needs to be done. It's not the team, it's the staff.

They should be ok this week and be able to play back ups to let the older guys rest then next week a bye. Hopefully they will get healed up and ready for Arkansas then Auburn.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login