Does anyone feel sorry for LSU Football tonight

patdog

May 28, 2007
This game is a joke. College football is going to have to figure out a better way. The bowl system is broken.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Not at all, the SEC give a damn seems to end at the conclusion of the regular season now. Unless, of course, you are in the playoff. College football is quickly becoming college basketball with the amount of divas and entitlement, and I don’t think that is a good thing.

Last edited:

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Hell no - Their consecutive bowl steak is at 1 and their 20+ years without a losing season is about to be reset to 0

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
First of all this game should NEVER be played on a Tuesday night AFTER all the other bowls. No reason it couldn’t have been played between Christmas and NYE.
Secondly, no. LSU wanted to play and I have a lot of respect for those guys out there playing tonight.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I still haven’t figured out the 8 pm starting time. It’s played in CT and every team that would play this game either plays in CT or ET. Can you imagine if it was WV vs Fla? Both fanbases Bowl game starting at 9:15 local time.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Secondly, no. LSU wanted to play and I have a lot of respect for those guys out there playing tonight.

This. Playing as shorthanded as they are, they earned a lot of credit as far as I’m concerned.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It almost looks like they said, "Hey Mississippi State! We saw how you played in your ball game... now hold my beer!"

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
No. Dumb question. There can’t be enough embarrassment heaped on that program tonight. I wish they would cut to a Slingblade interview with his latest ***** from Destin.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
This game is a joke. College football is going to have to figure out a better way. The bowl system is broken.

The better way is staring us right in the face, with the example of the lower divisions, as well as every other level of football, and basically every other sport too:

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
With 38 scholarships and a WR at QB they still scored the same amount of points as MSU and Ole Miss combined.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Ha. I forgot all about the game. But wouldn't have watched anyway. I'm like the rest.....other than the playoffs the bowl games have gone to ****.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
The better way is staring us right in the face, with the example of the lower divisions, as well as every other level of football, and basically every other sport too:

The excuses for not doing this have been comical. I-AA, D2, etc have had playoffs for 30+ years. Yet when it comes to Division I, the excuse has been that these poor athletes can't miss that much school. So you have no problem with an athlete from Delta State or North Dakota State playing 4 playoff games, but the mighty scholars from Alabama or Ohio State can't do the same? It wouldn't be so ridiculous if most schools weren't on break for most of December, and some well into January.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
First of all this game should NEVER be played on a Tuesday night AFTER all the other bowls. No reason it couldn’t have been played between Christmas and NYE.

This all damn day. My wife looked up at the TV last night and asked why a bowl game is being played after the playoffs started. I had nothing for her cuz I agree that it is absolutely not necessary.

And yeah- LSU wanted to play so its cool that they played.
Early in the 4th Q with LSU on offense, there was a deep ball over the middle that was intercepted. I actually reacted to the interception because I was wanting the LSU WR to catch it. I had more ***** to give at that moment than I did during MSU's bowl game. Its pulling for the underdog and whatnot.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
After all the **** that school has done (and gotten away with), there’s absolutely, positively, undoubtedly NO way in hell I would ever feel sorry for that school and its fans. Kudos to the players that played though. You did your job when others wouldn’t.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Did I hear right that LSU did not have a scholarship QB dressed out?

kired

Aug 22, 2008
It’s at 8pm so ESPN could schedule a college basketball game at 6pm.

I was looking for it around 7pm - checked the ESPNs, ABC, Fox, CBS... nothing. Just figured for some reason they played mid-day or it had been cancelled. So I got busy working around the house and left a basketball game on. Walk thru a couple of hours later and I'm like, wtf, when did this start?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
For some reason, I thought Orgeron was coaching last night. Guess he wanted to make sure he went out on a win.

Also, I found out last night from LSU's new head coach that Bostonians don't have accents. How da ya like dem apples?

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I will never, ever ever feel sorry for the LSU fan base

You might get me sympathetic towards the players in certain situations, and occasionally the coaches who have to deal with the coon *** fan base, but that fan base is off limits for my empathy. I've seen too much in my lifetime to make that a remote possibility.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The excuses for not doing this have been comical. I-AA, D2, etc have had playoffs for 30+ years. Yet when it comes to Division I, the excuse has been that these poor athletes can't miss that much school. So you have no problem with an athlete from Delta State or North Dakota State playing 4 playoff games, but the mighty scholars from Alabama or Ohio State can't do the same? It wouldn't be so ridiculous if most schools weren't on break for most of December, and some well into January.
The excuses have always been about the bowl "tradition". FCS and D2 playoffs started in the 70s, whereas, say the Rose Bowl, has been played since 1916. Orange, Cotton, Sugar and Sun came around in the 30s, and then on and on after that. Some are newer, but the 'structure' is very longstanding, and hard to get rid of that. Then came the longer season, and the conference championship games. So, back when the BCS got here in 1998, conference titles were fairly new, and most people just accepted that the BCS and bowls were here to stay. That was the height of college football in my opinion.

But now, of course Alabama and Saban come along and wreck that system. Now that we've gotten a peek of a playoff, there's no going back. The dam is ready to burst.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

I was curious about how often at least one bowl has been played between the NY6 and the Championship game since the CFP started in 2014. The years below are for the season, not the bowl games.

2014 (6) - 1/2- Armed Forces, TaxSlayer, Alamo, Cactus. 1/3 - Birmingham. 1/4 - GoDaddy
2015 (4) - All on 1/2 - TaxSlayer, Liberty, Alamo, Cactus
2016 (1) - 1/2 - Outback (I wouldn't count this since there were NY6 games on this day)
2017 - None
2018 - None
2019 (5) - 1/2 - Birmingham Bowl, Gator Bowl. 1/3 - Idaho Potato. 1/4 - Armed Forces. 1/6 - LendingTree
2020 (2) - All on 1/2 - Gator, Outback (Again there were NY6 games on this day, so I wouldn't count it) Also, there were a ton of cancellations, so there could have been one scheduled that didn't make it.
2021 (1) - 1/4 - Texas Bowl

It looks like it happens about 2-3 out of every 5 years depending on how you count it. I'm sure the day of the week New Years falls on has something to do with it too. In general, ESPN shies away from putting college up against the NFL.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012

They only miss 2 days of school with that schedule. Dec 3-4. Every other date is after school is out. I like that schedule, but I think the regular season should be cut down to 10 games and then allow this with no conference championships. That way they are only adding at most 2 games to the overall schedule.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I’m sure the reason the bowl was scheduled for Tuesday is because ESPN didn’t want to put it up against an NFL game. ESPN televised all but three bowl games this year (and two of the non ESPN bowls were canceled) so they control the scheduling. They definitely weren’t going to put the game up against Monday Night Football, so Tuesday night it was.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login