Does politics/religion ruin this board for you

Do political threads/post make you less likely to visit the board?

• Yes

Votes: 20 14.6%
  • Yes but if they want to be ********, whatever

Votes: 16 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 92 67.2%
  • No, but I’m Boom Boom

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No, but I’m MsGlfr

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • No, but I’m paindonthurt

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No, but I’m an iteration of Goat

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • No, but I’m Drebin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I’m cantgetright

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I’m a guy that will throw **** in any be thread that may not be political even tho I *****

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I don't care, but there should be a rule with a limit of how many pages a nonsports thread can continue. No one will get the last word until they lock the thread. One of the usual suspects from both sides will do their damn best to ensure they're the one who gets the last word in.
Not sure I'd be on board with that. If members are participating why not let the traffic flow till time fizzles it out?

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Posts like these are more annoying than glfer's. The "in before the lock" crowd. If you don't want to read, don't click. But once you do (because you do want to read), you get inundated with all these attention whoring dildos posting lOcK iT uP!!11.
FYI, sarcasm. I forgot the sarcasterics

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I don't care, but there should be a rule with a limit of how many pages a nonsports thread can continue. No one will get the last word until they lock the thread. One of the usual suspects from both sides will do their damn best to ensure they're the one who gets the last word in.

My rule would be if more than 50% of your posts are not sports related over a set time period, you get a month ban.

That would solve some issues. Maybe make it 75% in summer.

Some folks here probably have a hard time hitting 10% of their posts being truly sports related.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
My rule would be if more than 50% of your posts are not sports related over a set time period, you get a month ban.

Some folks here probably have a hard time hitting 10% of their posts being truly sports related.
Censorship Lover and 1A Hater.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Golfer and paindonthurt could both apply here. You just probably agree more with pain.

At least golfer can keep things on topic and be respectful. Pain has called numerous people on this board “the worst poster on this board”. And continually resorts to personal insults. The venom and when things turn personal far more often come from the conservative side of this board.
I have been called a few names and it wasn't by any conservative poster.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
It's a privately managed Mississippi State sports message board, not the public square (wherever the hell that is).
Doesn't discount the fact the idea would be bad for bidness. Alienating customers ain't no way to run things. See Bud Light.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Doesn't discount the fact the idea would be bad for bidness. Alienating customers ain't no way to run things. See Bud Light.

It would be an effort to alienate customers who are not here to discuss the things the board was created to discuss.

You might be surprised that their are a few posters here who rarely discuss sports, but seem to enjoy jumping into every political discussion.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
This is a cheerocracy. To a degree. Curious on the results.
Strong work on the early 2k pop culture reference too. I just saw that hadnt yet been recognized.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It would be an effort to alienate customers who are not here to discuss the things the board was created to discuss.

You might be surprised that their are a few posters here who rarely discuss sports, but seem to enjoy jumping into every political discussion.
And when you say jumping into, it’s rarely to respectfully weigh the pros and cons of each side. It’s I’m right, your opinion is stupid, and let me see how many ways I can talk down to you like you’re an uncultured heathen.

I don’t hate politics because I don’t enjoy talking about the subject matter. I hate politics because of the people involved

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think the popular canned response here is that political threads suck because its just two sides incessantly going back and forth, eventually it gets to the phase of namecalling and childish insults. In the end, the thread is locked, no one’s mind is ever changed, and everyone hates the other side a little more than they did before. Therefore its not productive discussion because its just a race to the bottom. And all of that is true.

But what’s also true is that all those same axioms apply to most of the more hotly debated sports topics, too. Was firing Stansbury a mistake? Will the Air Raid work at MSU? Is Lemonis a good or bad coach? Should we fire Moorhead if we win the Egg Bowl? Was the new Dude built too small? Did Vic leave because of Cohen? It’s all the same here, too. Maybe a little less namecalling and the threads stay open longer since it is sports discussion. But you still have the same non-productive dialogue. Nobody’s mind is ever changed.

The common theme on both is you have maybe 5% of posters who have ever admitted they were wrong, partially wrong, misinformed, possibly misinformed, did not have all the information, or did not consider a particular viewpoint or perspective on a topic. That’s what really ruins the board (and all other boards on the internet), regardless of the subject matter. So yeah, the political threads always end up in the gutter. But so do several other actual sports discussions too. Throw in how much COVID made everyone hate each other, and you get this tribalism mentality about lots of different topics.

I will, however, say that there is a lot more intelligent dialogue here than many other places about various non-sports topics. I’ve certainly learned a lot about a lot of things that I wouldn’t have otherwise known. So I’m fine taking the bad with the good.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010

You going to read everyone's posts and keep a tally of what they say? I am not. I doubt anyone else intends to sit around reading this crap all day everyday and monitoring every damn post you make or don't make on a topic.

Keep it respectful and post on any topic you want. If you get obnoxious and just start name calling when you have no arguments, then ban em.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
How about limit the amount of comments one user can make on a topic? I know idiots could have more than one user account, but that would limit golfer from burning up his keyboard.
Limiting the amount of characters in 1 post would certainly help with golfer.

which in return would help with me!

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I’ve certainly learned a lot about a lot of things that I wouldn’t have otherwise known. So I’m fine taking the bad with the good.
100% for sure.
I take away a ton from this board, though none of it is about the graphs that poopops spits out.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I think the popular canned response here is that political threads suck because its just two sides incessantly going back and forth, eventually it gets to the phase of namecalling and childish insults. In the end, the thread is locked, no one’s mind is ever changed, and everyone hates the other side a little more than they did before. Therefore its not productive discussion because its just a race to the bottom. And all of that is true.

But what’s also true is that all those same axioms apply to most of the more hotly debated sports topics, too. Was firing Stansbury a mistake? Will the Air Raid work at MSU? Is Lemonis a good or bad coach? Should we fire Moorhead if we win the Egg Bowl? Was the new Dude built too small? Did Vic leave because of Cohen? It’s all the same here, too. Maybe a little less namecalling and the threads stay open longer since it is sports discussion. But you still have the same non-productive dialogue. Nobody’s mind is ever changed.

The common theme on both is you have maybe 5% of posters who have ever admitted they were wrong, partially wrong, misinformed, possibly misinformed, did not have all the information, or did not consider a particular viewpoint or perspective on a topic. That’s what really ruins the board (and all other boards on the internet), regardless of the subject matter. So yeah, the political threads always end up in the gutter. But so do several other actual sports discussions too. Throw in how much COVID made everyone hate each other, and you get this tribalism mentality about lots of different topics.

I will, however, say that there is a lot more intelligent dialogue here than many other places about various non-sports topics. I’ve certainly learned a lot about a lot of things that I wouldn’t have otherwise known. So I’m fine taking the bad with the good.

Very well said.

17 you ***

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
You going to read everyone's posts and keep a tally of what they say? I am not. I doubt anyone else intends to sit around reading this crap all day everyday and monitoring every damn post you make or don't make on a topic.

Keep it respectful and post on any topic you want. If you get obnoxious and just start name calling when you have no arguments, then ban em.

Of course not. I was going overboard to make the point that a few rotten taters spoil the tater bucket.

I think the mods do an overall great job dealing with the big issues when needed.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

Lots of OT topics are allowed to flourish on The Pack for obvious good bidness reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: thatsbaseball

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
It doesn't make me not want to visit the board, but it's annoying. I have to put up with hearing about politics all day every day, and I've been coming to SPS so many years to escape that. That is, unless you're into my type of politics (which is the only correct type of politics)

Religion doesn't bother me but I have no clue why anybody on this message board needs to discuss religion. I'm what most would consider a "religious" guy, but still don't want to be beaten over the brow with it on this message board. I'm not trying to stop you, I just would rather not hear it. If one of your diehard state fan family members needs prayers in a big way, by all means please post it. More prayer has never hurt anybody.

Prayers for all of you,
I love you
-GOJ

Reactions: She Mate Me

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I think having the ability to read or listen to the erroneous opinions of a moron and NOT get triggered, outraged, lose sleep, or otherwise be bothered by it is a cardinal virtue.
I agree with you 100% on this, even though I'm pretty sure you and I would disagree on who are the morons.**

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I do understand limiting political and religious discussions if that is all anyone wants to discuss or are always making snide remarks about Trump or Biden or anything inbetween.

At it's core, this is not a political board but a Mississippi State Sports board but as long as people are civil, then I say let people talk about whatever they want but I get it if others don't want to be bombarded with it. Politics has gotten toxic since the 2016 election.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I do understand limiting political and religious discussions if that is all anyone wants to discuss or are always making snide remarks about Trump or Biden or anything inbetween.

At it's core, this is not a political board but a Mississippi State Sports board but as long as people are civil, then I say let people talk about whatever they want but I get it if others don't want to be bombarded with it. Politics has gotten toxic since the 2016 election.
Nobody hasta be bombarded with anything here cuz we all got click choices. As long as personal nasty attacks on members and stupid racist schit ain't happening I say let it rip.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Golfer and paindonthurt could both apply here. You just probably agree more with pain.

At least golfer can keep things on topic and be respectful. Pain has called numerous people on this board “the worst poster on this board”. And continually resorts to personal insults. The venom and when things turn personal far more often come from the conservative side of this board.
You can limit me. But if you limit golfer and boom boom you won’t really have to limit me.

I’ve repeatedly called boom boom names and golfer some but probably not as much.

But when you say things like “the lap top is fake news” and “DJT definitely colluded with the Russians” YOU DESERVE TO BE CALLED AN IDIOT.

Im pretty middle of the road on a lot of issues but when you start calling DJT a white supremacist or a right wing conservative I’m gonna call you out for being an idiot.

DJT is a dick. I don’t care.
He tweets some crazy stuff. I don’t care:

i disagree with abortion. I don’t care if you get an abortion. I don’t care if your state wants to give abortions at 9 months. I certainly think it’s grotesque BUT DONT TELL MY STATE HOW THEY SHOULD GOVERN.

i disagree with gay marriage but I also think biblically having sex before marriage is a sin. I’m 41 and single and I’m not a virgin. So I’m a sinner too. Just bc something is a sin doesn’t mean I hate the person doing it.

children shouldn’t be reading about sex and gay $h1t up until a certain age without parent consent or being with them.. That’s why we have rated R movies. It’s not some new thing right wing conservatives came up with.

If you act like a lunatic, I’m gonna call you one.

WHEN BILL MAHER IS CALLING YOU A LUNATIC, YOU ARE ONE!

Reactions: M R DAWGS

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
You can limit me. But if you limit golfer and boom boom you won’t really have to limit me.

I’ve repeatedly called boom boom names and golfer some but probably not as much.

But when you say things like “the lap top is fake news” and “DJT definitely colluded with the Russians” YOU DESERVE TO BE CALLED AN IDIOT.

Im pretty middle of the road on a lot of issues but when you start calling DJT a white supremacist or a right wing conservative I’m gonna call you out for being an idiot.

DJT is a dick. I don’t care.
He tweets some crazy stuff. I don’t care:

i disagree with abortion. I don’t care if you get an abortion. I don’t care if your state wants to give abortions at 9 months. I certainly think it’s grotesque BUT DONT TELL MY STATE HOW THEY SHOULD GOVERN.

i disagree with gay marriage but I also think biblically having sex before marriage is a sin. I’m 41 and single and I’m not a virgin. So I’m a sinner too. Just bc something is a sin doesn’t mean I hate the person doing it.

children shouldn’t be reading about sex and gay $h1t up until a certain age without parent consent or being with them.. That’s why we have rated R movies. It’s not some new thing right wing conservatives came up with.

If you act like a lunatic, I’m gonna call you one.

WHEN BILL MAHER IS CALLING YOU A LUNATIC, YOU ARE ONE!
You’re pretty down the middle? Man if someone told me you were that qanon shaman guy I wouldn’t be shocked.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

I know these are generalized examples to express your point, but I have not said either of those things.
It seems that you frequently project what I, or others, am supposed to think/say based on your narrative of me. I have posted countless times that your comments are not my views or words and you are just claiming them as mine, and then knocking those views or words down in victory.

Your posts are a constant stream of whataboutism, strawmen, and pejorstive pop terms that have lost meaning due to misuse and overuse. So yeah, I respond.
I respond to cantdoitsal when he posts straight up false claims that news media from both sides and politicians from both sides have said is made up BS.

I have many right leaning views, they just aren't seen on here because I am consistently left of the extreme vocal right.

Yeah yeah, tldr

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I know these are generalized examples to express your point, but I have not said either of those things.
It seems that you frequently project what I, or others, am supposed to think/say based on your narrative of me. I have posted countless times that your comments are not my views or words and you are just claiming them as mine, and then knocking those views or words down in victory.

Your posts are a constant stream of whataboutism, strawmen, and pejorstive pop terms that have lost meaning due to misuse and overuse. So yeah, I respond.
I respond to cantdoitsal when he posts straight up false claims that news media from both sides and politicians from both sides have said is made up BS.

I have many right leaning views, they just aren't seen on here because I am consistently left of the extreme vocal right.

Yeah yeah, tldr
I’m quoting boom boom on several verbatim.

The others are generally liberal talking points.

You seem to be liberal, generally speaking.

There is nothing strawman about what I typed in that post. They are all things many liberals say that are stupid.

If you disagree with one of the points and don’t agree with the liberal side of it, be specific and tell us which one it is.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You’re pretty down the middle? Man if someone told me you were that qanon shaman guy I wouldn’t be shocked.

Cool story bro.

now what did I say in that post that wasn’t true?

Would a far right guy say he didn’t care what Colorado did with abortion?
Would a far right guy not give a 💩 about gay marriage?
Is Donald trump a right wing white supremacist?

i know it’s hard to get you guys to state facts and actually stick to a point.

Here’s consistency. Obamas handing of immigrant children was effectively very similar to Donald Trumps. Both effectively sucked for immigrant children but both produced better outcomes than the alternative for many of those children. Safety, food, medication, a chance.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I’m quoting boom boom on several verbatim.

The others are generally liberal talking points.

You seem to be liberal, generally speaking.

There is nothing strawman about what I typed in that post. They are all things many liberals say that are stupid.

If you disagree with one of the points and don’t agree with the liberal side of it, be specific and tell us which one it is.
Oh my gosh, this is a classic example of so many posts- you can't even follow what was actually said so you argue about what you think was said.

I didn't claim you created a strawman in that specific post.
I said your posts are a constant stream of a few things, because they are. But that doesn't mean a certain comment you made will always apply to one of the things I cited.
I mean, that is just basic sense.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login