Dollar Stores in Mississippi

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
It really has become comical over the years to see which one of them can open a store in the most rural part of a town. And as soon as one pops up, another comes in just down the road. Matt hit this one on the head.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It really has become comical over the years to see which one of them can open a store in the most rural part of a town. And as soon as one pops up, another comes in just down the road. Matt hit this one on the head.
Robinsonville has had a Family Dollar for about 10 years. It’s now the Family Dollar/Dollar Tree combo store and there’s a Dollar General about 300 yards away.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
That dude is hilarious. There is one where he does someone asking directions at different places in the south and that sumbitch is spot on. Especially the Texas and Mississippi ones.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
From my house in NE Ms to Orange Beach Al there are exactly 26 visible Dollar Generals. At least there were 26 last year when we counted them. They surpassed Alexander Shunahrah billboards about three years ago.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Robinsonville has had a Family Dollar for about 10 years. It’s now the Family Dollar/Dollar Tree combo store and there’s a Dollar General about 300 yards away.
my crew put the security camera system and POS system in that store right before it opened

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
we have the Family Dollar / Dollar Tree (same company) account in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, and Northwest Florida. We install all of their POS systems and security camera systems. the new CEO of Family Dollar / Dollar Tree was the CEO of Dollar General until last April. He's following the same build-out model that he followed at Dollar General. They go after EBT money. It's steady income. That's why they upgraded their coolers and carry so much more food items, now. They go into areas that are probably going to be declining in the next 5-7 years, or areas that are adjacent to low income housing. They make me a lot of money, but dollar stores and convenience stores are the scourge of society. If a new one goes up around you, beware of future property values. They do their homework. Also, none of the dollar store companies own their own property. They lease from developers that build to suit. Owning their own property is what brought Fred's Dollar Stores down. They got caught in an upside down market. It certainly wasn't because of demand for dollar stores. There's plenty of that.

Reactions: NukeDogg

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
In rural Hancock county where I live, there’s a family dollar and a DG in ‘town’ probably a 1/4 mile from each other. Then 5-6 miles north there’s been a DG for about 10 years, and now there’s a brand new dollar tree/family dollar probably 100 yards away.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
we have the Family Dollar / Dollar Tree (same company) account in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, and Northwest Florida. We install all of their POS systems and security camera systems. the new CEO of Family Dollar / Dollar Tree was the CEO of Dollar General until last April. He's following the same build-out model that he followed at Dollar General. They go after EBT money. It's steady income. That's why they upgraded their coolers and carry so much more food items, now. They go into areas that are probably going to be declining in the next 5-7 years, or areas that are adjacent to low income housing. They make me a lot of money, but dollar stores and convenience stores are the scourge of society. If a new one goes up around you, beware of future property values. They do their homework. Also, none of the dollar store companies own their own property. They lease from developers that build to suit. Owning their own property is what brought Fred's Dollar Stores down. They got caught in an upside down market. It certainly wasn't because of demand for dollar stores. There's plenty of that.
That’s weird because I live in between Navarre and Gulf Breeze and this is a pretty affluent area with a poverty rate at 8% in GB and 12% in Navarre. There have been 2 Dollar Generals that popped up in between two others that are 5 miles apart. One of them is on a Bayfront road that houses start at $300 a sf.

Reactions: GomJabbar

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
That’s weird because I live in between Navarre and Gulf Breeze and this is a pretty affluent area with a poverty rate at 8% in GB and 12% in Navarre. There have been 2 Dollar Generals that popped up in between two others that are 5 miles apart. One of them is on a Bayfront road that houses start at $300 a sf.
There's one around the corner from our gulf front place in east Destin and it's awesome.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
it's not a set in stone rule. they're gonna go where there's high traffic areas, too. not JUST lower income or declining areas. That's their focus, though. I'll bet you those stores near you aren't near as profitable for them as the ones in the declining or lower income areas. it would astound you what those stores do in a year. and DG and FD operate with almost zero debt. crazy

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
In about 2009 or so Family dollar built a brand new store in Winona, MS. At that time there was a Walmart, DG , and Fred’s in town. A couple years later they closed.

Fast forward 15 years and that store is now a Dollar Tree and the DG and Family Dollar literally share an inside wall inside same building. Now Fred’s and Walmart are gone.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I got a good laugh out of, “Maybe you should partner up with U-Haul, all those boxes y’all got laying around.”

Literally EVERY Dollar General I’ve ever been to.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
There are 3 Dollar Tree locations in my town. They are all located in strip malls, in safe locations, and none seem to be bringing down the neighborhoods. Frankly none are really in neighborhoods though, they are in established nice commercial areas.
I think it would be difficult for a Dollar Tree to bring down the neighboring Indian restaurant or the neighboring crossfit gym.

Its been interesting to see these types of stores pop up over the last 2 decades, especially in rural areas. No grocery store for 10mi, but there is a discount dollar store of some type!

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
If a DG can make it in Crenshaw MS they can make it anywhere

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I live 15 miles from the nearest grocery store or Wal Mart. DG built two miles from the house, it was second to touching my first boob in life changing events.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
From my house in NE Ms to Orange Beach Al there are exactly 26 visible Dollar Generals. At least there were 26 last year when we counted them. They surpassed Alexander Shunahrah billboards about three years ago.
I had to do a work study in Baldwin county one year. We got on 59 just south of Lambert's Cafe. Went north to I-10. We counter over 26 Alex S billboards just on that stretch alone.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
I strongly suspect that many are welcomed and well supported in those remote locations.
I've been surprised by their sighting on a few occasions.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
There are 3 Dollar Tree locations in my town. They are all located in strip malls, in safe locations, and none seem to be bringing down the neighborhoods. Frankly none are really in neighborhoods though, they are in established nice commercial areas.
I think it would be difficult for a Dollar Tree to bring down the neighboring Indian restaurant or the neighboring crossfit gym.

Its been interesting to see these types of stores pop up over the last 2 decades, especially in rural areas. No grocery store for 10mi, but there is a discount dollar store of some type!
No idea how many Dollar Generals in the area, but there's one downtown called DGX. Never been inside but it's supposedly a little different than the ones out in the middle of nowhere.

Itsaboutus

Dec 23, 2015
Don’t know the actual stats but there can’t be another county in MS with more DG’s than Pontotoc.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Don’t know the actual stats but there can’t be another county in MS with more DG’s than Pontotoc.
My last trip to the coast I was literally seeing one every 0.2 mile. Starkville has 7 and a new one just opened up in Adaton plus the one in Longview so there's 9 either in Starkville or five minutes out of town.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login