Donny and Sexton going to be in South Bend bet me

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

He may interview, but I think Ol' Donny is going to have to go through an image rehab job... probably either a HC job somewhere in the MAC or the American or an OC job at a highline program before he gets ND or a Power 5 HC job.

dawgflo

Nov 17, 2021
I'm not convinced he needs a "rehab assignment". Most folks that I know (which isn't anyone of importance) thinks that his getting fired after taking Florida to the SEC championship a year earlier was a bad look by Florida. I know, I know, the statement about recruiting season and the tremendous drop off along with "losing the locker room" looks bad, but that was a quick trigger, imo.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I bet they roll with Marcus Freeman. They at least let him coach through the bowl game/playoff.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I'm not convinced he needs a "rehab assignment". Most folks that I know (which isn't anyone of importance) thinks that his getting fired after taking Florida to the SEC championship a year earlier was a bad look by Florida. I know, I know, the statement about recruiting season and the tremendous drop off along with "losing the locker room" looks bad, but that was a quick trigger, imo.

^^^ Jimmy Sexton's second post on Sixpack everybody. Give him a round of applause.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
He may interview, but I think Ol' Donny is going to have to go through an image rehab job... probably either a HC job somewhere in the MAC or the American or an OC job at a highline program before he gets ND or a Power 5 HC job.
Why? He didn't have a scandal.

If I were him, I'd take a year off and assess things, and then he'll be back in the thick of things. The only reason he may not get a P5 job is people will say if he couldn't win at Florida then what's up? The smart ones will hire him anyway.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Honestly it’s probably a good spot for *******. I think he could consistently win 10 games given the opponents they regularly face.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

If I were him, I'd take a year off and assess things, and then he'll be back in the thick of things. The only reason he may not get a P5 job is people will say if he couldn't win at Florida then what's up? The smart ones will hire him anyway.

He doesn't need a rehab job to get a P5 job; he probably needs one to get a high profile job because of the reason you stated. The only reason he might get a high profile job anyway is just that with all the moving pieces this year, there's a decent chance somebody is going to end up with no options that meet what their usual standards would be.

patdog

May 28, 2007
He doesn’t need an image rehab job. He needs a prove you can win & recruit job. 2-9 vs P5 schools at Florida is hard to do & their recruiting has been subpar. The argument could easily be made that he won with McIlwain’s players & then couldn’t win with his players. He won’t be a candidate for a top level job like Notre Dame or Oklahoma.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

I could be wrong, but there isn't a lot of recent precedence for a Power 5 coach to get fired mid-season, then immediately get another Power 5 job (considering ND as a Power 5), regardless of the circumstances. There is almost invariably at least one image rehab season where you either coach, say, Akron or Texas State, or you take an assistant job at a high profile Power 5 program, then work your way back into the conversation for Power 5 coaching jobs.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
His recruiting classes were good but not elite. It wasn't that Mullen wasn't recruiting well, it's that he doesn't want to do what it takes to recruit at an elite level because he doesn't like that aspect of the job.

Why he lost the team is a good question. Dan Mullen being hard headed could have been his undoing. We weren't gonna fire him at State for that bc he at least got us 6-6 every year. That gets your fired at UF.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I could be wrong, but there isn't a lot of recent precedence for a Power 5 coach to get fired mid-season, then immediately get another Power 5 job (considering ND as a Power 5), regardless of the circumstances. There is almost invariably at least one image rehab season where you either coach, say, Akron or Texas State, or you take an assistant job at a high profile Power 5 program, then work your way back into the conversation for Power 5 coaching jobs.

There's also not a lot of precedence for a power 5 coach getting canned the season after taking his team to the SEC Championship game. But for hires in the same ball park as hiring Mullen this year:

Will Muschamp spent a year at Auburn, but he wasn't really rehabbing his image. I don't think USCe hired him because his one year at Auburn DC showed he had learned from his mistakes and was ready to be head coach.

Les Miles just sat out for two years from what I remember without any rehab. Granted he was hired at Kansas, which I guess is P5 in name only.

Malzahn didn't have to wait to get UCF, which obviously wasn't P5 but it was probably a better job than some P5 jobs.

I would say Malzahn and Mullen are in pretty similar. Both are good but probably not great coaches. I think if Malzahn had waited, he would have gotten another P5 shot. I don't expect Mullen to get another P5 job immediately, but I wouldn't be shocked at all. Just needs the right program to come open.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

The last coach was fire after taking them to two.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
He doesn't need a rehab job to get a P5 job; he probably needs one to get a high profile job because of the reason you stated. The only reason he might get a high profile job anyway is just that with all the moving pieces this year, there's a decent chance somebody is going to end up with no options that meet what their usual standards would be.

Ok, I'll buy that. He could get like a sub-Nebraska Power 5 job. If Kansas was open, he could get Kansas. If Arizona comes along, he could get that job. The original question was about ND, though. He's not getting a ND level Power 5 job without going through a mea culpa season somewhere else.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
That is exactly the Florida take. Shane Matthew's made the statement today that Florida doesn't have any receivers that could start at State or OM. No quality skilled players, no speed.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
There's also not a lot of precedence for a power 5 coach getting canned the season after taking his team to the SEC Championship game. But for hires in the same ball park as hiring Mullen this year:

Will Muschamp spent a year at Auburn, but he wasn't really rehabbing his image. I don't think USCe hired him because his one year at Auburn DC showed he had learned from his mistakes and was ready to be head coach.

Les Miles just sat out for two years from what I remember without any rehab. Granted he was hired at Kansas, which I guess is P5 in name only.

Malzahn didn't have to wait to get UCF, which obviously wasn't P5 but it was probably a better job than some P5 jobs.

I would say Malzahn and Mullen are in pretty similar. Both are good but probably not great coaches. I think if Malzahn had waited, he would have gotten another P5 shot. I don't expect Mullen to get another P5 job immediately, but I wouldn't be shocked at all. Just needs the right program to come open.

McElwain was fired a season after his second consecutive SEC Championship game. He sat out a year and has been at Central Michigan since.

Gene Chizik was fired two years out of a National Championship. He did two years at North Carolina as DC and hasn't coached since.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

Would one of these places hire him knowing he sees at a stepping stone and has no intentions of being there any longer than he has to?

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
His recruiting classes were good but not elite. It wasn't that Mullen wasn't recruiting well, it's that he doesn't want to do what it takes to recruit at an elite level because he doesn't like that aspect of the job.

Why he lost the team is a good question. Dan Mullen being hard headed could have been his undoing. We weren't gonna fire him at State for that bc he at least got us 6-6 every year. That gets your fired at UF.

What got him fired at UF was what almost got him fired in 2016 with us. He went into the season with two starting QBs. Both seasons were subpar performances with abysmal losses. The difference in 2016 is he figured it out, went with Fitz, blew out Northern Miss in the Battle for the Golden Egg, and won a bowl game.

Last edited:

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013
Fellas, Dan Mullen is done as a big-time P5 head coach. There are plenty of good candidates for an AD to hire that don’t come with all the issues that Mullen brings.

You want to royally piss off your donor base? Hire Dan Mullen as your head coach.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
He won’t get that high profile of a job. But there are plenty programs in power 5 that are like we were in 2008 that might see what he did for us and give him a shot. Like Boston College or Indiana or Illinois. Not sure where all those schools are as far as coaching contracts but they haven’t been good.
That or he pulls a hc job at one of the better G5s that have a coach move up to power 5

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login