Drinking, smoking, and grilling - It’s time

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I was is Memphis over the weekend, and yes… I made it out alive for those itching to make a wisecrack, but it didn’t leave much time for message boards.

Anyway, this will just be for pride this season, but let’s get some grill talk going. This weekend, I’m thinking tri-tip, scalloped potatoes, and Knob Creek for Saturday night. Maybe some pork belly burnt ends for the afternoon if I can find it. If not, smoked wings and pig candy

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Definitely a grill day for me Saturday. I can't make it to the game due to some other things, but after 3 pm, I'm free to sit in front of the TV the rest of the day. Not really sure what I want to do, maybe some Mexican in honor of our opponent.

Reactions: Seinfeld

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
I was is Memphis over the weekend, and yes… I made it out alive for those itching to make a wisecrack, but it didn’t leave much time for message boards.

Anyway, this will just be for pride this season, but let’s get some grill talk going. This weekend, I’m thinking tri-tip, scalloped potatoes, and Knob Creek for Saturday night. Maybe some pork belly burnt ends for the afternoon if I can find it. If not, smoked wings and pig candy
Last week in Texas, it was so hot, I stuck with cold-food snacks- crackers, cheese and cold salami, fruit basket, chips and dip.

Will probably be the same this week. We're supposed to get a cold snap next Monday- high only 92. Will get the Gumbo going for Saturday, September 16 against LSU.

Reactions: HRMSU and Seinfeld

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Last week in Texas, it was so hot, I stuck with cold-food snacks- crackers, cheese and cold salami, fruit basket, chips and dip.

Will probably be the same this week. We're supposed to get a cold snap next Monday- high only 92. Will get the Gumbo going for Saturday, September 16 against LSU.
Sell everything and leave that armpit while the getting is good man. It's going to be 107° in Dallas today. There's no sense in living in that place... too hot, too dry, too much rain, too much hail, too much wind, too many people, property taxes are going to tear you a new one for the next 4 years as assessments catch up, and 17 aTm and Buc-ees..... and 17 Texas Roadhouse too @PK Dawg ... it's a Chili's for people that listen to Orville Peck and wear a cowboy hat in their recliner while watching Yellowstone.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Sell everything and leave that armpit while the getting is good man. It's going to be 107° in Dallas today. There's no sense in living in that place... too hot, too dry, too much rain, too much hail, too much wind, too many people, property taxes are going to tear you a new one for the next 4 years as assessments catch up, and 17 aTm and Buc-ees..... and 17 Texas Roadhouse too @PK Dawg ... it's a Chili's for people that listen to Orville Peck and wear a cowboy hat in their recliner while watching Yellowstone.
For all the stereotypes about cowboys and steak and ranching and toughness and all that crap, to me, Texas (especially the cities) are a pretty damn soft and 'inside' place to live. If you live there and aren't on a sports field or golf course, you're likely inside the air conditioner somewhere. Except for all the poor construction workers. And not to mention all the real housewives status type crap going on out there.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
For all the stereotypes about cowboys and steak and ranching and toughness and all that crap, to me, Texas (especially the cities) are a pretty damn soft and 'inside' place to live. If you live there and aren't on a sports field or golf course, you're likely inside the air conditioner somewhere. Except for all the poor construction workers. And not to mention all the real housewives status type crap going on out there.
85% of the state's population or 25.5 million people live in the Texas Triangle formed by DFW, Houston, and San Antonio on the corners. It's almost entirely urban and suburban living in that area... Lots of bros driving Raptors to the mall and riding golf carts to the community pool.

The culture and lifestyle of Texans today is much closer to California than somewhere like Montana.

1000011250.png

fredgarvin

Jun 26, 2010

Did my smoking last week. Pork Ribs with rub from Shotwell rub from Memphis BBQ supply. Sides from Corky's. Maker's Mark Private Collection for cocktails and Pinot Noir with the Ribs.

was21

May 29, 2007

Can't grill due to burn ban....includes grills..dumb

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Smashcocked a chicken. Got a few more hours to go...

20 Grill fails that will make you feel better about your barbecue skills –  SheKnows

HotMop

May 8, 2006
85% of the state's population or 25.5 million people live in the Texas Triangle formed by DFW, Houston, and San Antonio on the corners. It's almost entirely urban and suburban living in that area... Lots of bros driving Raptors to the mall and riding golf carts to the community pool.

The culture and lifestyle of Texans today is much closer to California than somewhere like Montana.

View attachment 400052
Have I introduced you to Midland/Odessa?

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
The Mrs and little biodawg requested a chicken and sausage gumbo, so that’s what it will be on Saturday.

For those of you who are delta tamale fans, Solly’s in Vicksburg opened back up Tuesday. I stopped by yesterday and got two dozen for my family and two dozen for my parents. I havent tried all of the tamale places in the delta, but Solly’s is the best I’ve had yet.

Reactions: DerHntr

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Strangely enough, my 2 year experience living in Houston was that folks spend a **** ton of time outside for their leisure time. Mostly drinking...but outside nonetheless. I miss the patios.

Reactions: HRMSU

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
The Mrs and little biodawg requested a chicken and sausage gumbo, so that’s what it will be on Saturday.

For those of you who are delta tamale fans, Solly’s in Vicksburg opened back up Tuesday. I stopped by yesterday and got two dozen for my family and two dozen for my parents. I havent tried all of the tamale places in the delta, but Solly’s is the best I’ve had yet.
This man speaks the truth.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Strangely enough, my 2 year experience living in Houston was that folks spend a **** ton of time outside for their leisure time. Mostly drinking...but outside nonetheless. I miss the patios.
Drinking on the patio isn’t really what I had in mind when thinking about a Texas stereotype.

was21

May 29, 2007
This man speaks the truth.

Yep. And their in laws or maybe outlaws at the Tamale Place

Reactions: DerHntr

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

I’ll be in Foley for soccer with an 8:30 and 3:30 game so BWW will be doing the cooking. 2nd game should be fun with the 4 hour drinking intermission. I’ll post pics from last week. I did two half pork shoulders on the East bake because that is all they had at Winn Dixie. I did wings and sausage as well. I guess I’m Nostradamus because the sausage looks eerily like the red penis cactus that was attempting to enter Woody Marks.

Attachments

• IMG_4700.jpeg
    IMG_4700.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 10

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’ll be in Foley for soccer with an 8:30 and 3:30 game so BWW will be doing the cooking. 2nd game should be fun with the 4 hour drinking intermission. I’ll post pics from last week. I did two half pork shoulders on the East bake because that is all they had at Winn Dixie. I did wings and sausage as well. I guess I’m Nostradamus because the sausage looks eerily like the red penis cactus that was attempting to enter Woody Marks.
Go to The Groovy Goat at OWA, better food, better beer, probably more TVs.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

From someone who has lived a long time in both places....the heat is really not that different. 100 in Texas in the shade with a slight breeze and you won't even break a sweat. 93 in MS you are sweating no matter what. 100 in Texas in the sun and you feel like it's trying to kill you! 93 in MS in the sun is pretty dang hot too.

There are a lot of people. In the DFW metro plex it may have more than the whole state of MS + AR. I've met so many people from all over that you just don't get exposed to in MS. There are downsides to the population if you are a 50 acre and farm kind of guy but with the population also comes an amazing quality of life options from schools to entertainment venues to college and pro sports you name it.

While there is bad traffic during rush hours the interstate system is pretty dang good. It's not for everyone but other than State athletics and family there is not much that would bring me back to MS....to each their own I guess.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
From someone who has lived a long time in both places....the heat is really not that different. 100 in Texas in the shade with a slight breeze and you won't even break a sweat. 93 in MS you are sweating no matter what. 100 in Texas in the sun and you feel like it's trying to kill you! 93 in MS in the sun is pretty dang hot too.

There are a lot of people. In the DFW metro plex it may have more than the whole state of MS + AR. I've met so many people from all over that you just don't get exposed to in MS. There are downsides to the population if you are a 50 acre and farm kind of guy but with the population also comes an amazing quality of life options from schools to entertainment venues to college and pro sports you name it.

While there is bad traffic during rush hours the interstate system is pretty dang good. It's not for everyone but other than State athletics and family there is not much that would bring me back to MS....to each their own I guess.
Wait......how did this suddenly turn into a bash-Mississippi thread? We were making fun of Texas stereotypes - simple as that. Relax on the defensiveness.

• Haha
Reactions: HRMSU

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Tamales actually sound outstanding. Fits with the opponent. Now just have to decide on the sides, since I do need to fire up the grill. Maybe some corn? Squash and zucchini too.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Wait......how did this suddenly turn into a bash-Mississippi thread? We were making fun of Texas stereotypes - simple as that. Relax on the defensiveness.

Not bashing MS so sorry if it came off that way! I love MS and the potential that it has....underscore potential. Just felt there was another side to the Lone Star state I could share....you know different perspective but I can see where it may sound defensive.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login