Drinking, smoking, and grilling - It’s time

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So, looked up the menu for Groovy Goat: https://groovygoat.us/owa/menu/menu/

Good Lord, $14.50 for a grilled cheese. $23 for nachos. $17.50 for chicken tenders. $21 for hamburger steak.

This crap is out of control. I just can't eat out anymore I guess. And I'm sure it's good food. And there's also no doubt the travel sports culture will absolutely make places like this a killing, so it's not changing.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Go to The Groovy Goat at OWA, better food, better beer, probably more TVs.
Oh I’m aware of GG. The outdoor bartender Gary knows me by name. The issue with us is we have about 8 sets of parents that all like hanging out and GG, is not the best at accommodating 30 people. At BWW, they basically give us that entire back area including the back bar so we opt for convenience over food. For the long layovers we eventually end up at GG drinking while the kids play at the arcade.

Reactions: HotMop

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
The Mrs and little biodawg requested a chicken and sausage gumbo, so that’s what it will be on Saturday.

For those of you who are delta tamale fans, Solly’s in Vicksburg opened back up Tuesday. I stopped by yesterday and got two dozen for my family and two dozen for my parents. I havent tried all of the tamale places in the delta, but Solly’s is the best I’ve had yet.
damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

I will fight anyone that disrespects Solly’s

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

Good Lord, $14.50 for a grilled cheese. $23 for nachos. $17.50 for chicken tenders. $21 for hamburger steak.

This crap is out of control. I just can't eat out anymore I guess. And I'm sure it's good food. And there's also no doubt the travel sports culture will absolutely make places like this a killing, so it's not changing.
It’s out the door by 12. If you have a 10:30 game and want to go there after lunch good luck. If it weren’t for Foley Sports, OWA would be so far in the red between October and March they couldn’t keep the lights on.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

The bright side for me is between the pandemic and these "out of control" prices I have become a better cook than I ever imagined possible.....and enjoyed doing it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The bright side for me is between the pandemic and these "out of control" prices I have become a better cook than I ever imagined possible.....and enjoyed doing it.
Heck yeah. And you should also be proud that, well it's obvious, that most are not willing of making sacrifices like this.

I cut way back already. If I have to have something fast, it's literally fast food, and no value meals, drinking water. It's come to that. Travel sports and all that goes with that? Cut. Sit down restaurants are nearly completely gone. This is the easiest place to cut big sums of money, without selling a house or something.

I really cannot comprehend the amount of people that inflation seems to have zero effect on. I guess either I'm just poor, or others are just incapable of saying no to things. Maybe both.

I am not anti-restaurant. I enjoy going out like the next person. But that is such a high-markup, convenience type thing that's it's almost crazy if you really think about what you're spending, just to get fatter most times. Restaurant food tastes good for a reason.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Heck yeah. And you should also be proud that, well it's obvious, that most are not willing of making sacrifices like this.

I cut way back already. If I have to have something fast, it's literally fast food, and no value meals, drinking water. It's come to that. Travel sports and all that goes with that? Cut. Sit down restaurants are nearly completely gone. This is the easiest place to cut big sums of money, without selling a house or something.

I really cannot comprehend the amount of people that inflation seems to have zero effect on. I guess either I'm just poor, or others are just incapable of saying no to things. Maybe both.

I am not anti-restaurant. I enjoy going out like the next person. But that is such a high-markup, convenience type thing that's it's almost crazy if you really think about what you're spending, just to get fatter most times. Restaurant food tastes good for a reason.
People spend money on stupid stuff all over the spectrum. For you it’s obviously not restaurants for others it is. Golf, Coastal Fishing, College Sports, Pools, Ford Raptors, drinking, etc.

Reactions: dorndawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
People spend money on stupid stuff all over the spectrum. For you it’s obviously not restaurants for others it is. Golf, Coastal Fishing, College Sports, Pools, Ford Raptors, drinking, etc.
Fair enough. But, marked up food and drink just seems to stick out to me like a sore thumb. Immediate gratification that is overly expensive for what you get, and goes directly to the gut. At least you get an experience with the rest of the things you list.

Reactions: mcdawg22

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Gated community....BOD are a bunch of old farts who sit around thiiking of ways to harass.
I’d have the charcoal blazing.
I’ll be in Foley for soccer with an 8:30 and 3:30 game so BWW will be doing the cooking. 2nd game should be fun with the 4 hour drinking intermission. I’ll post pics from last week. I did two half pork shoulders on the East bake because that is all they had at Winn Dixie. I did wings and sausage as well. I guess I’m Nostradamus because the sausage looks eerily like the red penis cactus that was attempting to enter Woody Marks.
Half pork shoulders is one of the dumbest decisions in meat cutting I have seen. I’d rather not buy one if I can’t afford the entire cut of meat. I also can’t imagine not needing the entire cut.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I naively believed, at one time, that when times got tough the first thing people would voluntarily cut back on was this "stupid stuff" to make sure they could afford the necessities . After years in the retail business I learned I was 180 degrees wrong. Many if not most people will actually scrimp on necessities to have their entertainment and keep their toys. Now I'm not criticizing attempting to say how others should live because it's still a free country, I'm just saying that's just the way it is.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I naively believed, at one time, that when times got tough the first thing people would voluntarily cut back on was this "stupid stuff" to make sure they could afford the necessities . After years in the retail business I learned I was 180 degrees wrong. Many if not most people will actually scrimp on necessities to have their entertainment and keep their toys. Now I'm not criticizing attempting to say how others should live because it's still a free country, I'm just saying that's just the way it is.
I worked at CU in South Carolina and got to know the mortgage collections team and they were talking about the October Spike on the golf course one day and I asked what is the October spike? They said people actually spend so much at the fair that they miss their mortgage payments. Still not sure if they were messing with me.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Half pork shoulders is one of the dumbest decisions in meat cutting I have seen. I’d rather not buy one if I can’t afford the entire cut of meat. I also can’t imagine not needing the entire cut.
I'll side with Easy Bake Bob down in the panhandle on this topic.

I have recently started cutting up pork shoulders into 1/4's. It cooks faster and I get 4 times the bark. It's a game changer unless you don't like bark at which point you should just cook it in a crock pot.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It all looks great. Everyone is working this weekend, so I'm just cooking up a big batch of taco meat. We can have fresh cooked tortillas for fajitas. We can also make nachos or Fritos with taco meat, cheese, and all the fixings. Next weekend, the wife is off. We were already discussing we still have a week to decide what we are grilling or maybe boiling up some shrimp and boil fixings.

ETA - We have put up with this heat wave, and the wife has worked a lot of extra time this month. I think I'll spoil her next weekend with a big fresh steak. She loves a good T-bone, so I am off to rob an ATM.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I'll side with Easy Bake Bob down in the panhandle on this topic.

I have recently started cutting up pork shoulders into 1/4's. It cooks faster and I get 4 times the bark. It's a game changer unless you don't like bark at which point you should just cook it in a crock pot.
I don’t like this development but I do like bark. Damn fancy Florida people and their cuts of meat.**

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead
Aug 31, 2012
Hidden gem before all the tourists find it. Bon Temps is another spot. Only 3-4 TVs but they’ll change the channel for you.
Bon Temps is also fantastic
Monday night .50 cent wings and I believe Busch lite is 2$ a can
(I’m up with wings but pay regular price for beer, no Busch lite for me)

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Bon Temps is also fantastic
Monday night .50 cent wings and I believe Busch lite is 2$ a can
(I’m up with wings but pay regular price for beer, no Busch lite for me)
I regularly do the wings but I too draw the line at Busch Lights. I worked too long and too hard to drink cheap beer.

Reactions: skipper.sixpack

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Round 1 for the day

Did three types of wings to see which would come out best. Smoke only, smoke + short fry, and fried only.

Smoke-only won the flavor battle by a mile, but you just can’t do much with the skin since it’s so rubbery. The smoke + fry lost a little flavor, but probably our all around best. Especially dipped in Rendezvous sauce which is one of my top 3

IMG_1297.jpeg
IMG_1299.jpeg

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Oh I’m aware of GG. The outdoor bartender Gary knows me by name. The issue with us is we have about 8 sets of parents that all like hanging out and GG, is not the best at accommodating 30 people. At BWW, they basically give us that entire back area including the back bar so we opt for convenience over food. For the long layovers we eventually end up at GG drinking while the kids play at the arcade.
Is Gary the smaller skinny guy that looks a bit unkempt?

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I’d have the charcoal blazing.

I cube up half a shoulder for AL Pastor, I'll get the whole if I'm smoking. Half a shoulder is alot of tacos.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login