Drunk OT: Are you better than you were 4 years ago….

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
I am doing well.. but I am old and in the way. But anyone who thinks the average American is better off and their situation isn’t getting worse is a complete idiot or a sadistical MF’er.
I am not surprise by the leftist in this thread but their complete disregard for the crisis facing the “Average” American is sad and typical of liberals.

Dawgtini

Aug 13, 2007
I'm an early 80's grad. 3 years ago I thought I might be able to stop working before I die. I still have 3 kids in college and was a candidate to work with fisher investments on a retirement plan until a couple of months ago. I am now buying heirloom seed and canning anything and everything I can get from the garden/orchards. I'm not feeling the pinch as bad as I would have when all 6 kids were home, but I am in no way better off. Now planning for a second depression and hoping my industry doesn't dry up in the next few years.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I'm an early 80's grad. 3 years ago I thought I might be able to stop working before I die. I still have 3 kids in college and was a candidate to work with fisher investments on a retirement plan until a couple of months ago. I am now buying heirloom seed and canning anything and everything I can get from the garden/orchards. I'm not feeling the pinch as bad as I would have when all 6 kids were home, but I am in no way better off. Now planning for a second depression and hoping my industry doesn't dry up in the next few years.

Just heard on news that 401K's are down 1.4 trillion and IRA's are down 2 Trillion this year.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Been thinking about this post since I read it yesterday. An honorable old man that I knew use to always say "Life is tough". Now when he would say it wasn't the simple message that always caught my attention, it was the way he said it and as my own years slide by I catch myself saying it a lot also...because I realize he was so right. I am glad for your success but very sorry for your losses and admire what you've done. Just keep on keepin on brother. Godspeed.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I am doing well.. but I am old and in the way. But anyone who thinks the average American is better off and their situation isn’t getting worse is a complete idiot or a sadistical MF’er.
I am not surprise by the leftist in this thread but their complete disregard for the crisis facing the “Average” American is sad and typical of liberals.

There has been no real regard by either side for the average American in the thread because it isnt about the average American. The thread is about each of us individually.

I don't think the average American is better off now than 2 years ago. I don't think they were better off 2 years ago vs 4 years ago though either.
I also don't think either party is actually capable of making things better for the average American.

The average American has been squeezed for decades now and it has not mattered which party is in power in the Executive branch, Legislative branch, what tax policies we have in place, or anything else- they have been squeezed and prosper at a lower rate than wealthier people.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
From 2008 to 2022, my income has increased 7X and so has my wife's. In 2008 I was an intern, out of school, working as a professional in my field. Now I am an owner of a company, still working in the same field.
So my MSU degree has paid off fairly well so far.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Just heard on news that 401K's are down 1.4 trillion and IRA's are down 2 Trillion this year.

Well yeah. As long as you don't sell, the rebound will catch you back up. May take a while, but it will get back to growing.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
I retired ten years ago from the corporate world and have spent the last few years selling off all of my businesses and real estate..moved from Texas to the coast and .built my retirement home. I concentrated on improving my Bulldog Club rank and am happy with my seats in all sports. Since 2016 I've visited 32 states to complete all fifty and sworn off RV living forever...

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
This isn’t a political thread. It’s an economics vs time thread. I feel like Reagan’s words were very powerful but nobody pays attention to them. So I ask the pack. Starting with you professional career, I know some of you old 17s go back to the Eisenhower days how were you doing? Not necessarily how your stocks were doing, but your income and general welfare
2008- Married 2 years, I was mid management at a CU and had improved my life pretty well.
2012- Moved closer to family, housing and BP oil spill hurt the local economy, so I was making significantly less because I had to start at the bottom at a bank, but my wife was the bread winner. My house was much nicer.
2016 - Worked my way up to mid management at a CU again with a great job, making significantly more than I did in 2008. Still in my great house.
2020 - Moved my way up to head of a department, significantly more pay, that was dissolved. Lost my job, but had severance which I planned on using to get better at golf, but then covid hit and I became a third grade teacher for my daughter.
2022 - I work remote for a fantastic company. More pay than at the CU. I also have a pool and an easy bake oven that I make brisket on while I mix my Basil Hayden with Coke Zero.
So realistically the only dip in my income and what some would consider success was by my own doing. What are other people’s experience?

Better than 4 years ago, largely due to spouse and investments, but not as well off as a year ago. Can’t complain bc we’re still very blessed, but inflation has eaten our lunch. Spending is up about 16% and pretax income took about a 7% hit. Was cruising towards the option of retiring early. Will have to work till 60 now if I don’t put some new income together.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
2022 vs 2018

My first child was born in 2018. Lost my mother a few months ago. The past 4 years have contained my highest highs and my lowest lows of my short 34 years. I would say through these things that I’ve grown much more personally and spiritually…. More out of necessity than some “personal enlightenment”.

Professionally I would say each year is steadily better. Nothing drastic. I’ve been with the same company (small, niche market consultancy) for almost 10 years. My career progression is tied to time in the system and experience, so each project completed and year passed adds some growth.

Financially I would say about even. Obviously adding a child puts a burden on some finances. I’m lucky to have a good job, but even so, wages obviously haven’t kept up with inflation. But I have access to very nice fringe benefits that make up for it. If it weren’t for them I’d have had to start looking for new jobs. Since I’ve entered the workforce I’ve made it a rule to try to save 15-20% of my income. As an older millennial, I feel I was doing much better than my peers at building my investments and retirement portfolio. That’s obviously been nuked this year.

Overall, I’m in a better place I believe. No drastic improvements, just slow and steady.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
There has been no real regard by either side for the average American in the thread because it isnt about the average American. The thread is about each of us individually.

I don't think the average American is better off now than 2 years ago. I don't think they were better off 2 years ago vs 4 years ago though either.
I also don't think either party is actually capable of making things better for the average American.

The average American has been squeezed for decades now and it has not mattered which party is in power in the Executive branch, Legislative branch, what tax policies we have in place, or anything else- they have been squeezed and prosper at a lower rate than wealthier people.

The average American finally got a raise, but then got inflation to take it back. But the worst thing for the average American is elite interests succeeded in falsely tieing that inflation to their raise, saying it was the cause rather than just coincident, making it very likely they won't see another raise for two generations. And of course the average American has their democracy itself in extreme danger, with elites of both sides unwilling to act to save it. Put those together and the average American is very much worse off.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
If this year was your target date That should be a much longer term decision and those folks are probably pretty happy if they weren’t too conservative.

engie

May 29, 2011
A truly insane amount better off. Can’t wait to retire in 26 on all the btc im getting on the cheap right now**

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Really depends on what you mean by "average". The percent of people in households making between 2/3 and 2x of the median household income (adjusted for size) shrank slowly but steadily from the 1970's to around 2010 before stabilizing. Most of that was because more people were making more than 2x the median household income, but some of it was because more people were making less than 2/3 the median income. Of course, that's a little better than it looks because the percentage of immigrants increased and the percentage of retired people increased mostly steadily over that time.

But people without a college degree have not done as well, and that's more than half the work force, so that "typical" american has not been doing as well.

Neither party is particularly interested in making things better for them because all the people that make policy and implement policy come from a relatively small bubble, and they are particularly awful at thinking about people who are not like them. It's why we get things like universal messaging of "go to college" even though lots of people don't belong in college and college won't help them.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If you were planning to retire this year, you should have been weighted heavily fixed income before this downturn hit. My father-in-law, who is retired, went heavy cash in December. I'm nowhere near retirement so I didn't change gears. Down heavily right now but continuing to invest. Time will tell if I was wise or foolish.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Better? I can’t say I am. Sure, I’m making more money, but my expenses have gone up as well. It’s costing everything to do anything now so my savings is increasing less if at all.
Optimism is nonexistent. Hope in the future is way down. Confidence in my fellow man is way down. It’s just a sadder day, but we have 5G so there’s that!

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Better? I can’t say I am. Sure, I’m making more money, but my expenses have gone up as well. It’s costing everything to do anything now so my savings is increasing less if at all.
Optimism is nonexistent. Hope in the future is way down. Confidence in my fellow man is way down. It’s just a sadder day, but we have 5G so there’s that!

Keep an eye on this. I've suffered from depression and know how it can feel. Should it ever get overwhelming don't be afraid to talk to someone about it. I'm aware we disagree on plenty things but ultimately we all wanted health and happiness for each other.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

I hate to add to a revived thread but these are the two things bugging me. The wife and I had a new home and a nice cushion on expenses that has disappeared and I don't see any help from ANY political faction coming because they are having too much fun fighting with each other. The answer to every problem is no a possible solution. It's an opportunity to rail against the other political team.

We need to fix **** not play the blame game and both parties do it and the worst part is there is no one out there I can trust to fix things.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I appreciate your words. This isn’t a mental issue though.

It’s more of a worldly perception of what I see going on around our country that has me Saddens me to see how divided we all are based on where our politics lie. Given how it never rests no matter which side controls the government, it’s just a sad state and pride will not allow anyone to ever give an inch.

Again, your words are appreciated (and surprising! ;))

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login