Early Signing Period

Taz_Man

Nov 9, 2017
Am I the only one that misses the old "traditional" signing day? It was like 17'n Christmas for football junkies. Early signing period and now the transfer portal has taken most of the excitement out of it.

That being said, any one know or think of any surprise signees we might get tomorrow?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It really benefit coaches. I miss it as well. The thing is now if they miss on some guys they have a second round to regroup and fine someone else. Before they were screwed with only one signing day.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The timing is definitely stupid. It needs to be in August before practice starts. It should be meant for the guys who are 100% sure where they want to go, i.e. the early enrollees and such.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Am I the only one that misses the old "traditional" signing day? It was like 17'n Christmas for football junkies. Early signing period and now the transfer portal has taken most of the excitement out of it.

That being said, any one know or think of any surprise signees we might get tomorrow?

I'm hoping we get a surprise 4 star OT or 2 to sign. That is my biggest concern going into 2022!

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I'm hoping we get a surprise 4 star OT or 2 to sign. That is my biggest concern going into 2022!
We are down to Percy Lewis and Trent Ramsey. Sign those 2 and this might be the best OL signing class in our modern history. All but one had serious P5 offers and that one had a bunch of G5 offers.

We've come a long way from the days of Blaine Clausell and Ben Beckwith, both of which turned out to be damn good players.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I prefer the old way as a fan. I’m sure coaches liked it then too other than Dan who hates recruiting

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I prefer the old way as a fan. I’m sure coaches liked it then too other than Dan who hates recruiting
This brings up an interesting question. What type of program is better for a guy who doesn't like to recruit? A middling have-not like us, or a blue blood? I'm still not sure it matters. I think Danny's failings at Florida were more of a failure on his coaching rather than recruiting. We've discussed ad nauseum, the guy was still in the Top 15, which is the minimum. He nearly beat Bama a couple of times. Did he really not have players? I think it was something different. I know the narrative is "hE cAnT cRoOt!!11" but he was always top 25 here and was top 15 there. Bo Bounds used to rave about his recruiting and he certainly didn't let as many of the state's top guys get away as we are seeing now (not that it matters, but still).

My theory is that he still failed in that he never let an OC take the reins of the offense so he could focus on bigger ticket items. He got away with that here, but it bit his *** at the blue blood pressure cooker. His QB also let him down, and then he ran his mouth about recruiting and what not. Not to mention that he never really was a perfect fit for Florida speed, but he still could have been alright. Had he survived this year, which was a rebuilding year, he had a bright future ahead with Richardson at QB.

Leach likes to micromanage the offense too, but he hires out the running the program i.e. Dave Emerick.

Last edited:

RockstarFromMars

Sep 11, 2012
We are down to Percy Lewis and Trent Ramsey. Sign those 2 and this might be the best OL signing class in our modern history. All but one had serious P5 offers and that one had a bunch of G5 offers.

We've come a long way from the days of Blaine Clausell and Ben Beckwith, both of which turned out to be damn good players.

Is MSU recruiting Lewis as an OT? I know we are recruiting him as a guard. Seems a little big for an air raid OT.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
The current signing date is much better for us. Ole Miss did lots of dirty deals during the 2 week dead period around the Holidays. Never will forget that while we were in Jacksonville beating Michigan in the Gator Bowl, those bastards stole / bought 6 of our committed recruits. That’s during a dead period when they were not supposed to be contacting any recruits. Happened every year. Ever heard of Merry Flipmass? That’s where it originated.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Is MSU recruiting Lewis as an OT? I know we are recruiting him as a guard. Seems a little big for an air raid OT.

Tailor made for an Air Raid LT. And the spot is open. Which is why I can’t imagine us not getting him. I mean your replacement is about to be a 1st rounder.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Lying, cheating and stealing is a way of life for them. I'll never forgive them for what they did to Nick's ankle: Nick

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I heard some talk about trimming him up and improving his foot work. They think he is quick enough on his feet to not get beat by a speed rush

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
One thing about the transfer portal, coaches can't lie to guys anymore telling them they will play a certain position and once they signed move them. That crap isn't going to happen again.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login