Earth's Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I got myself a pair of Hoka shoes, and boy are they comfortable. I dunno who managed to make orthopedic shoes cool but I'm sure glad they did. They're proud of 'em though. Still, recommend to any Sixpacker with foot/leg problems or discomfort.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I got myself a pair of Hoka shoes, and boy are they comfortable. I dunno who managed to make orthopedic shoes cool but I'm sure glad they did. They're proud of 'em though. Still, recommend to any Sixpacker with foot/leg problems or discomfort.
I recommend weight loss.

Reactions: wdawg44

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I recommend weight loss.
Cool thanks for the tip.

brent rambo thumbs up GIF

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Follow the money on all that climate change Bullshat. It’s a scam that doesn’t solve anything. The Earth will continue to heat and cool, Climate will change. Average yearly Temps will go up and down. Everything is Cyclical. I remember the fear of the next ice age coming soon when I was in elementary school in the 70’s.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
I switched from OnCloud after 3 years to Hoka because my wife found some on sale around the end of march. I've had terrible plantar fascitis since then and switched back to OnClouds mid-april. Hokas, for me, suck

Reactions: dorndawg

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
I switched from OnCloud after 3 years to Hoka because my wife found some on sale around the end of march. I've had terrible plantar fascitis since then and switched back to OnClouds mid-april. Hokas, for me, suck
Fleet Feet in Ridgeland is awesome - they measured mine and my wife's feet, had us stand and walk on their computer pad thing, modeled our ankles and feet and all, and then used all that to recommend Hoka's for my wife and Altra's for me. Most comfortable pair of athletic shoes I've ever put on, and my wife tells everyone she knows now to go there. One brand definitely isn't for everyone, but there's enough of them out there now. I've worn Brooks for the last ~8 years and these Altras blow them away in terms of support and comfortability.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Look back through history, What is better for life, a warm Earth or a cold one?
I'm not sure this has the answer you think it does. What is better for life, Canada temps or Death Valley temps? [Insert LSU joke here] Plus, human life and other large mammalian life evolved from a cold earth, relatively speaking. I'm sure the bugs and non-warm blooded animals historically did better in warm times, if that's along the lines you were thinking.

Anyway, the rate of change of temps probably matters much more in history. Unstable environments leads to ecological collapse. THAT is the worry. Arguing that in a couple million years the overall biomass of life will be larger than now is a pretty poor argument IMO.

Reactions: Dawgzilla2

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Cool data. Have not seen that graph, or similar, before. Makes me realize that predicting the right side of the graph involves a lot of uncertainty, even if you use past (albeit millions of years old) data. We are in nobody knows territory, so we should just take the best care of the planet that we can and hope for the best.

I take the same approach to my health. As I age, I know there are some health events on my horizon, I don't know when, or what, but to the best of my ability, I'm going to try to care for myself in a way that lets me rest easy that I'm not a direct cause of them through negligence.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The time when Homo Erectus appeared to now is like 1.8 million years. Looking at that graph, that starts where the blue line on the far right of the graph is dropping, bottoms out, then rises.
That sliver of time is Homo Erectus thru Homo Sapiens. That is the small range in which humans and relatives have lived.

I am sure life in some forms will continue on this planet even when the average global temp reaches 80, but am more concerned about humans being part of that group which survives, and it is clear that humans thrive when the average global temp isnt so high.

This doesnt seem controversial to me, but clearly is.
I often look around and feel like this is too large an issue to ever solve. Its like cleaning my room when I was 7- too overwhelming to even know where to begin.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Look back through history, What is better for life, a warm Earth or a cold one?
You don't have to look that far back for this answer. Warmer temps are far more livable for humans. Some of this is due to natural survivability factors like food availability, etc. (compare populations of sub-Saharan Africa vs. Antarctica for relatively elementary indications) and some of this is due to the incredible adaptability, ingenuity, and technical advances of humankind over the past 50-100 years too. Electricity, Air conditioning, farming advances and whatnot. Since everyone is posting charts, see below.

deaths heat or cold.png

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
That Sub-Saharan Africa data blows my mind. Although Sub-Saharan Africa is most of Africa, it still seems crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darryl Steight

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
This isn't a pointing fingers kind of comment. It's legitimately a "my brain has a hard time reconciling these two realities" kind of comment... but I've never understood why conservatives so adamantly fight against the idea of climate change. And I say that as someone who used to be a conservative and who used to fight against the idea of climate change.

It's a stereotype for illustrative purposes but a whole lot of conservatives like to hunt or fish or spend time outside. My brain says those kind of people would be all in favor of environmental-related rules that would help keep this planet in the best possible shape for hunting and fishing and spending time outside. But that doesn't seem to be the reality.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
While funny, are we allowed to ask if it actually makes the world better? Do government measures that supposedly reduce pollution or fossil fuel consumption actually do that? Or do they just move them to another step in the supply chain and actually increase fossil fuel consumption and pollution?
Sure, you can ask questions. That's a healthy approach to any topic. As for the hypothetical in your post, it's fairly broad and non-specific so I don't know how to answer it.

In general, I hope we can agree that efforts to reduce pollution and fossil fuel consumption are a good thing. And reasonable people can disagree about whether specific efforts are effective or not. But I don't think we should take the approach that if something isn't 100% perfect or error free that we shouldn't do it. Sometimes two steps forward, one step back is the best option because at least you're still ultimately moving forward.

Reactions: HRMSU and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
This isn't a pointing fingers kind of comment. It's legitimately a "my brain has a hard time reconciling these two realities" kind of comment... but I've never understood why conservatives so adamantly fight against the idea of climate change. And I say that as someone who used to be a conservative and who used to fight against the idea of climate change.

It's a stereotype for illustrative purposes but a whole lot of conservatives like to hunt or fish or spend time outside. My brain says those kind of people would be all in favor of environmental-related rules that would help keep this planet in the best possible shape for hunting and fishing and spending time outside. But that doesn't seem to be the reality.
People on both sides of the political spectrum get brainwashed by their political leaders and just blindly believe what they’re told to believe. No matter how strong the evidence against it.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

I don’t think conservatives fight against the idea “climate change”. They fight against the government’s bs tactics for increasing the financial burdens put on the average working man in order to line the pockets of politicians in the name of “fighting climate change” while actually increasing pollution, which according to the government is what is causing the climate change.

Big Sheep81

Feb 24, 2008
Tecovas makes really great boots. Hot or cool, wet or dry, you cannot go wrong with a pair of Tecovas hand-made boots.......

Reactions: dorndawg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Sure, you can ask questions about it. That's a healthy approach to any topic. As for the hypothetical in your post, it's fairly broad and non-specific so I don't know how to answer it.

In general, I hope we can agree that efforts to reduce pollution and fossil fuel consumption are a good thing. And reasonable people can disagree about whether specific efforts are effective or not. But I don't think we should take the approach that if something isn't 100% perfect or error free that we shouldn't do it. Sometimes two steps forward, one step back is the best option because at least you're still ultimately moving forward.
100% on board with responsible pollution reduction. Not on board with a lot of “green energy” such as ethanol that only increase pollution and don’t reduce fossil fuel use. And I understand that there will be set backs when trying new ideas, but I would like to see a “climate change fighter fighter” admit a lot of their ideas are failed, so let’s quit trying those instead of continuing stepping backwards with the same idea.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
I don’t think conservatives fight against the idea “climate change”. They fight against the government’s bs tactics for increasing the financial burdens put on the average working man in order to line the pockets of politicians in the name of “fighting climate change” while actually increasing pollution, which according to the government is what is causing the climate change.
There are a few posts in this thread alone that either directly call it a hoax or a scam or BS or heavily imply that it is.

If it were a case where both sides of the aisle agreed climate change was an issue and there were just differing approaches on how to deal with it, that would at least fall under the "reasonable people can disagree about specific efforts" area I mentioned. But elected conservatives just flat refuse to even remotely attempt to address the issue. Many of them also call it a hoax or a scam.

And what government tactics that increase the burden on the average working man are you talking about?

Reactions: patdog

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012

I can only speak for myself. I'm not a registered member of any party. I tend to hold conservative ideas, and especially conservationist ideals as a former outdoorsman and Eagle Scout. The simple answer is what someone alluded to earlier, I don't know who to trust. Politics should never get involved in science and research. I posted a video in another thread talking about the lack of transparency and double blind studies in Environmental Research. ****, now politics are even into Medical Science which is even more ludicrous.

ETA: Super rich celebrities and politicians preaching to me about my carbon footprint while jet-setting around the world can get bent.

I believe climate change is real. Is it permanent? I don't know. Florida was supposed to be underwater 30 yrs ago, then 20, then 10. You have alarmist who've completely flip-flopped their messages on their "sandwich boards" because all they want is attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login