Earth's Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Are your posts approved by Citizens United or does it somehow not apply to you because you're immune to it in some way? If CU is so powerful, how did it not control what you hear, read and see?
Mostly due to giving up on the "news".

But about climate change, I've spent 26 years working in the energy industry.

I know some of what's there to see what's done around the world, and why. Because I wrote the contracts.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I am of course completely against 19-year old mothers being forced to mine cobalt with their babies strapped to their chests just to satisfy the terms of a fictional contract between China and a Congolese warlord. And that's to say nothing of how I'm against someone being forced to huff lethal fumes. You might even say I'm in an anti-huffing lethal fumes cult.

I just wasn't aware that your not at all made up situation only came into being because I support growing the renewable energy industry.
Seems like you are in fact ok with the repercussions of "growing the renewable energy industry".

As long as YOU don't lose freedoms, right?

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
We're decades behind Brazil and Columbia, really poor countries, and some countries with lots of white people that drive tiny cars, lack dryers and reasonably sized refrigerators etc? I'm shocked. Because some might rely more on renewables than we do doesn't mean we're "decades behind." We just don't use as many renewables. We're also richer than any of the countries you mentioned. I do agree that Republicans are absurd to call climate change a hoax rather than just criticizing environmental extremism and alarmism.
We are decades behind because they don't have 1/2 of the political system calling climate change a hoax and not real.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Very true. YOU haven't lost any freedom. But some 19-year-old woman with a baby strapped to her chest is having to mine cobalt at gunpoint while huffing lethal fumes all because the Chinese govt has struck a deal with a warlord in the Congo because you need more battery power/renewable energy.

You are very right. YOU haven't lost any freedom. Unfortunately, someone on the other side of the planet has.
Ha ha, what now?

You could blame the Congolese warlord, but you dont.
You could blame the DRC, but you dont.
You could blame the Chinese government, but you dont.

This is comical. You blame some end user in the US for someone's hypothetical lack of freedom on another continent, instead of blaming the person who is pointing a gun at the worker's head and forcing them to ingest lethal fumes.
I mean...wow. Take a moment, step back, and recognize what you posted.

Reactions: ChE1997 and FQDawg

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Seems like you are in fact ok with the repercussions of "growing the renewable energy industry".

As long as YOU don't lose freedoms, right?
Very true. YOU haven't lost any freedom. But some 19-year-old woman with a baby strapped to her chest is having to mine cobalt at gunpoint while huffing lethal fumes all because the Chinese govt has struck a deal with a warlord in the Congo because you need more battery power/renewable energy.

You are very right. YOU haven't lost any freedom. Unfortunately, someone on the other side of the planet has.
cool story bro.

Now do Oil,

Natural gas,
1686863777199.jpeg

Coal,

Iron ore,

Copper.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Mostly due to giving up on the "news".

But about climate change, I've spent 26 years working in the energy industry.

I know some of what's there to see what's done around the world, and why. Because I wrote the contracts.
So Citizens United doesn't control everything we see, hear etc. Good to know. Of course, I knew that already.

"We are decades behind because they don't have 1/2 of the political system calling climate change a hoax and not real."
That would be a party which often can't prevent the use of renewables and has a commitment, at least verbally, to using more nuclear energy. I'm not good at math but I don't know what calculation shows that reflects being behind decades. Political parties change, btw. And there's no chance in hell of an AOC style Green New Deal happening. We'll change and become more energy efficient, the market and government will influence that progression.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
So Citizens United doesn't control everything we see, hear etc. Good to know. Of course, I knew that already.

"We are decades behind because they don't have 1/2 of the political system calling climate change a hoax and not real."
That would be a party which often can't prevent the use of renewables and has a commitment, at least verbally, to using more nuclear energy. I'm not good at math but I don't know what calculation shows that reflects being behind decades. Political parties change, btw. And there's no chance in hell of an AOC style Green New Deal happening. We'll change and become more energy efficient, the market and government will influence that progression.
ok nitpodgy,
Citizens united unleashed an unlimited flow of money into our political system. it means that the laws and politics are influenced to keep us arguing about dumb **** instead of the real issues, which are hidden.
There is truth out there but it's buried in 10000000 tonnes of lies and misdirection.

no one here has mentioned the "green new deal" until you did.

I'll say in discussions with international energy companies I've had over the past few years says the world is changing. We can still catch up. No one knows what it will look like in 10-30 years, other than different.

and for the "commitment to nuclear" not a single US congress or adminstration in 20 years has done anything with nuclear.

Reactions: FQDawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The difference is I'm 100% aware of it and accepting of the repercussions.
What you arent 100% aware of is that you arent the only person who has a general idea that mining cobalt and lithium can be dangerous/hazardous/exploitive.

Reactions: ChE1997

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
and you are assuming, in bad faith, that we are ignorant that the mining of resources is exploitative.
No. That's a part of my argument. The crux of the convo was the one poster mocking another poster for mentioning renewables potentially costing someone their freedom. I'm just saying it can and in fact, does.

Many environmentalists are simply in the business of outsourcing their pollution to the other side of the globe. Out of sight, out of mind.

Reactions: HRMSU and WilCoDawg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
and you are assuming, in bad faith, that we are ignorant that the mining of resources is exploitative.
Resources are exploited all the time. That's how it works and why we have such a great standard of living. Exploit just means to make use of. I suppose we could keep them unexploited, in the ground but then I enjoy living in the modern age.

Reactions: HRMSU

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
"it means that the laws and politics are influenced to keep us arguing about dumb **** instead of the real issues, which are hidden.
There is truth out there but it's buried in 10000000 tonnes of lies and misdirection."

I know what Citizens United did and I know about the role of money in politics. I also know there was never a time when politics wasn't about propaganda, lies and misdirection.

"I'll say in discussions with international energy companies"
How's your carbon footprint? Do you live and use as much energy as say the average Austrian who lives in a small house, has one car per family, no dryer, one small fridge, walks a lot, uses busses and trains and subways, etc? Mine isn't so hot lately. I've done a bit of flying around the country and to Europe.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm not too concerned with anything beyond like, 1 million. Better yet, 6,000, where time is actually existing similarly to now. So, things are definitely getting warmer.
Well I think the point is humans affect climate very little.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
"it means that the laws and politics are influenced to keep us arguing about dumb **** instead of the real issues, which are hidden.
There is truth out there but it's buried in 10000000 tonnes of lies and misdirection."

I know what Citizens United did and I know about the role of money in politics. I also know there was never a time when politics wasn't about propaganda, lies and misdirection.

"I'll say in discussions with international energy companies"
How's your carbon footprint? Do you live and use as much energy as say the average Austrian who lives in a small house, has one car per family, no dryer, one small fridge, walks a lot, uses busses and trains and subways, etc? Mine isn't so hot lately. I've done a bit of flying around the country and to Europe.
I've used wind power for my home electric needs since 2002. I have an electric car. I use public transportation when I can. I'd use a high speed train if it were available. All my lights are LED's. My house faces the wrong way for Solar, and it wouldn't pay for itself before i plan on selling.

I'm sure I could do better, if the infrastructure in the US allowed it/supported it.

I know you want to " carbon shame" me, but that's going to be difficult.

As for Citizens united, there used to be a time when there was a public outcry and penalty for a news organization knowingly lying to its base. but today is not that time.

Reactions: FQDawg

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
No. That's a part of my argument. The crux of the convo was the one poster mocking another poster for mentioning renewables potentially costing someone their freedom. I'm just saying it can and in fact, does.

Many environmentalists are simply in the business of outsourcing their pollution to the other side of the globe. Out of sight, out of mind.

and my point is that your "argument" is true for all sources of raw materials and energy. Someone has to dig it up, and that job is in horrible conditions and for slave wages at best.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I've used wind power for my home electric needs since 2002. I have an electric car. I use public transportation when I can. I'd use a high speed train if it were available. All my lights are LED's. My house faces the wrong way for Solar, and it wouldn't pay for itself before i plan on selling.

I'm sure I could do better, if the infrastructure in the US allowed it/supported it.

I know you want to " carbon shame" me, but that's going to be difficult.

As for Citizens united, there used to be a time when there was a public outcry and penalty for a news organization knowingly lying to its base. but today is not that time.
I got three of five, well I have a hybrid, but I still fly a lot and I don't plan to stop. Not about to use public transportation where I live. I was curious, though. A lot of environmentalists I know don't actually want anyone to notice how they actually live. Are you carbon neutral? I certainly am not. Nor are the people who pay my salary. BTW, Citizens United really hasn't made the public less informed than pre-Citizens United.

Serious question, how much energy does a home wind turbine actually create? We had solar panels once but a hurricane screwed those up and it was too expensive to repair. I suspect they're in a landfill somewhere.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
and my point is that your "argument" is true for all sources of raw materials and energy. Someone has to dig it up, and that job is in horrible conditions and for slave wages at best.
Would you rather such people not have jobs or do you want them to be paid more than slave wages?

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
We're decades behind Brazil and Columbia, really poor countries, and some countries with lots of white people that drive tiny cars, lack dryers and reasonably sized refrigerators etc? I'm shocked. Because some might rely more on renewables than we do doesn't mean we're "decades behind." We just don't use as many renewables. We're also richer than any of the countries you mentioned. I do agree that Republicans are absurd to call climate change a hoax rather than just criticizing environmental extremism and alarmism.
It is Colombia not Columbia. Sorry, my best friend was from there and he hated it when people confused the spelling.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
It is Colombia not Columbia. Sorry, my best friend was from there and he hated it when people confused the spelling.
Yes it is and apologies to your friend. I have a buddy from Ukraine who rolls his eyes at "The Ukraine."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login