Economic Development project coming to GTR

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
One thousand jobs?

$93K average salary?

At GTR?

I'm just wondering where the people are to support this.

And of course just because this is happening doesn't mean that a Target is coming...

• Haha
Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
One thousand jobs?

$93K average salary?

At GTR?

I'm just wondering where the people are to support this.

And of course just because this is happening doesn't mean that a Target is coming...
That means a handful of execs and/or upper level managers will make six figures. Everyone else will make far, far less than that.

Also, I'm willing to bet that 1,000 jobs claim is bogus, too. It probably counts people who get hired to build facilities or other infrastructure but who aren't employed by whatever company is coming. The day-to-day number of jobs will probably be a couple hundred at most. And maybe less than that.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Joe Max Higgins might be the best economic developer in the country.

Can't wait to see what this is. Someone here surely knows. At least leak the industry.

That's a massive project.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
That means a handful of execs and/or upper level managers will make six figures. Everyone else will make far, far less than that.

Also, I'm willing to bet that 1,000 jobs claim is bogus, too. It probably counts people who get hired to build facilities or other infrastructure but who aren't employed by whatever company is coming. The day-to-day number of jobs will probably be a couple hundred at most. And maybe less than that.

Let your positivity flow like lava.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Let your positivity flow like lava.
I'm not trying to be negative. But I've been involved in announcing projects like this and the numbers are always inflated and purposefully misconstrued. When I worked for a large company in New Orleans, we announced a big project in another part of the state. As part of the number of employees and average salary, we included executive team members in New Orleans who might visit that site once or twice a year, just to make the numbers look better.

I'm just saying take the announcement with a grain of salt. Especially coming from Tater. He's full of **** on his best day.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

That's generally not how that works. Certainly an average doesn't mean median or modal in this context, but it's not going to be a made up number.

And for the 1,000 jobs, if they are putting in 2.5B of investment and the 1,000 jobs is counting temporary jobs, then very likely the permanent jobs will be high paying. Usually if you have $2.5B in investment and you are going to have a 100 people involved with it, most of those 100 people are going to have to be skilled. Or at the very least you're going to pay high blue collar wages to make sure you don't have dubmasses screwing up your multi billion dollar investment

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
...but it's not going to be a made up number.
See my post above. It absolutely could be a made up number. I've been involved in making them up before.

And, look, I'll be happy to be wrong. Maybe these figures are accurate. But I'll have to see it before I believe it.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'm not trying to be negative. But I've been involved in announcing projects like this and the numbers are always inflated and purposefully misconstrued. When I worked for a large company in New Orleans, we announced a big project in another part of the state. As part of the number of employees and average salary, we included executive team members in New Orleans who might visit that site once or twice a year, just to make the numbers look better.

I'm just saying take the announcement with a grain of salt. Especially coming from Tater. He's full of **** on his best day.

I get it. I've been involved in enough corporate mergers to know what's released to the press is rarely very far from complete BS.

But this is obviously a massive win for an area that has been winning a lot lately in the economic development area. It's just more good news for our alma mater.

I do generally hate the giveaways these companies receive in these deals, but at least it's not Brett Favre or a BS beef or Magic energy plant pissing away all the money they get in a complete scam.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Gov has announced special session at 10am Wednesday.

Biggest economic development project in MS history coming to Golden Triangle: $2.5 billion capital investment (Nearly 2X larger than previous CapEx record) 1000 jobs $93,000 average salary

Larger than Nissan in Canton and Toyota in Blue springs?
Outstanding if all true.

Reactions: Anon1667145881

MonroeDawg8356

Oct 31, 2022
Hate to break it to you negative Nacys. This is a legit announcement as far as job numbers and pay is concerned. This is a new aluminum mill going in just south of the airport. It is owned by Steel Dynamics. Steel Dynamics is also putting in another much smaller site in the same general area that will make some kind of carbon additive for our process here at the steel mill.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Larger than Nissan in Canton and Toyota in Blue springs?
Outstanding if all true.
This is in terms of todays dollars. No telling what the inflation adjustment would show, I’m sure.

Either way, it sounds like a huge deal!

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
If the project is $2.5B it will be a significant manufacturing plant and will need more than a few 100 employees. Steel Dynamics is one of the largest steel producers in the country with a market cap of $16B and sales of $18B and cash reserves near $2B. The plant(s) will definitely need a large tract of land. Of course, environmental issues will need to addressed by the MS state environmental agency.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Hate to break it to you negative Nacys. This is a legit announcement as far as job numbers and pay is concerned. This is a new aluminum mill going in just south of the airport. It is owned by Steel Dynamics. Steel Dynamics is also putting in another much smaller site in the same general area that will make some kind of carbon additive for our process here at the steel mill.

Thanks for the details. So sounds like Steel Dynamics will have something north of maybe $5 billion in facilities around the GTR Airport.

Pretty impressive.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Only in Mississippi do we poo poo stuff like this. It's still the biggest investment in history and an outstanding land.

Peter Porte Waiting GIF by Paramount Network

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

Agree with this -- always is a lot of inflation. And aren't mid-terms coming up? How timely!

Reactions: FQDawg

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Mississippi looking more like Detroit and GTR looking more like Cleveland and Pittsburgh? Interesting

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

Negative Waves.jpgNegative Waves.jpgNegative Waves.jpg

Last edited:

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022

Na. It’s an established company that already has a plant in the area where the actual, real world salary is six figures for the guys out there doing the work. Take your L on this one.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Hey Sal,

I just figured out how to post pics correctly on here.

You should be able to edit your recent post and click insert on the file you attached and then choose thumbnail or full.

It'll look better.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
I can also confirm this is a Steel Dynamics project. The GTR area is on the up and up. Over the last 15 years, it has changed from an agricultural area to a manufacturing gold mine.

Reactions: Maroon13

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
See my post above. It absolutely could be a made up number. I've been involved in making them up before.

And, look, I'll be happy to be wrong. Maybe these figures are accurate. But I'll have to see it before I believe it.
Let me rephrase that. The current members at MDA will not put a made up number out there. They may massage the numbers (e.g., the total jobs announced could be for multiple phases of a project when subsequent phases are obviously subject to economic conditions), and they may pick the sunnier side of projections to make the announcement sound as good as possible, but they aren't turning 50 jobs paying $20 an hour and 5 executives making $80k to $125k a year into 1000 jobs and $93k average salary.

Also, while the MDA wants to announce a win and might would be willing to shred their future credibility for a good announcement now and so might take the company's numbers at face value without tying the incentives to them, Joe Max's incentives are longer term. At the very least, he's going to have incentives to make sure the fee in lieu agreement is conditioned on certain milestones being met.

Reactions: She Mate Me

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
Folks are going to have an opportunity to earn a six figure income in the GTA without a college degree while working a 4 on/4 off schedule. This is a big deal. I’m interested to see how it will be staffed though. Staffing the current mill is enough of a struggle.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Folks are going to have an opportunity to earn a six figure income in the GTA without a college degree while working a 4 on/4 off schedule. This is a big deal. I’m interested to see how it will be staffed though. Staffing the current mill is enough of a struggle.
Surely making 80's without a college degree will entice people to relocate? I remember when the Nissan plant opened they had people commuting over an hour for entry level jobs because they paid (I think) $15 an hour plus benefits (which even then was crazy). I know people don't like to move anymore and fewer people leave their home town than in the past, but surely at some point the money is good enough? Especially when you're talking about moving to a relatively low cost of living area.

Reactions: CDawg08

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
Surely making 80's without a college degree will entice people to relocate? I remember when the Nissan plant opened they had people commuting over an hour for entry level jobs because they paid (I think) $15 an hour plus benefits (which even then was crazy). I know people don't like to move anymore and fewer people leave their home town than in the past, but surely at some point the money is good enough? Especially when you're talking about moving to a relatively low cost of living area.
You’d think so, but for whatever reason, turnover is fairly high and replacing the people who leave is a slow process. SDI does have some standards that make some applicants ineligible, but if you can read, write and work night shift, you shouldn’t have a problem. The opportunities are great once you get on board and the company as a whole values its employees. The only thing that has concerned me lately is that it feels like we are growing a little bit too fast. I suppose that is a good problem to have though.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I know people who have driven from Carroll and Leflore counties since the Nissan was opened.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login