Economic Development project coming to GTR

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You’d think so, but for whatever reason, turnover is fairly high and replacing the people who leave is a slow process. SDI does have some standards that make some applicants ineligible, but if you can read, write and work night shift, you shouldn’t have a problem. The opportunities are great once you get on board and the company as a whole values its employees. The only thing that has concerned me lately is that it feels like we are growing a little bit too fast. I suppose that is a good problem to have though.

I wonder if people really realize the opportunities out there not that far away. I understand a lot of them just will not contemplate leaving home, but surely others just don't realize how much money they are leaving on the table.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Surely making 80's without a college degree will entice people to relocate? I remember when the Nissan plant opened they had people commuting over an hour for entry level jobs because they paid (I think) $15 an hour plus benefits (which even then was crazy). I know people don't like to move anymore and fewer people leave their home town than in the past, but surely at some point the money is good enough? Especially when you're talking about moving to a relatively low cost of living area.
How much does a house cost now? Worth it to leave a good job for one that's unknown and "at will"? Not to most youths today. No one who's not from the area will consider it, and those that are have already left and set down roots.

The answer is to pay more, but we both know how likely that is to happen. Companies don't set up shop in MS to pay more. All those cost of living savings are reflected in the lower pay they offer, and they all act surprised that they can't recruit, yet won't change.

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
I wonder if people really realize the opportunities out there not that far away. I understand a lot of them just will not contemplate leaving home, but surely others just don't realize how much money they are leaving on the table.
I’m always amazed at the number of people who work a couple months and quit. People act like it’s easy to replace a six figure income with a 50% 401(K) match. Don’t get me wrong, working night shift will make anybody contemplate quitting a time or two, but this younger generation just does not understand making sacrifices to make life better.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I know people who have driven from Carroll and Leflore counties since the Nissan was opened.
I don't doubt that at all and it is just unfathomable to me. I get some people are tied to taking care of elderly parents or something, but I've talked to some people doing that type of commute and they say they commute because their wife's job and it'll be a job like receptionist at a doctors office and I don't even have the heart to tell them that there are doctors offices that hire receptionists in pretty much every town with more than 10,000 people in it. I guess I'm just an a hole for not feeling tied to my home town but it just blows my mind.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I know he means "Mississippi is on fire" in a good way, but could we not have something so close to "Mississippi Burning" come from the governor?***

LOL. I was on the same wavelength as you about that tweet.

Reactions: Dawgg

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
The return on sacrificing was much greater in the 60s, 70s, less so in the 80s and 90s. And look at how much rent and home ownership has gone up since 2000, not to mention the cost of higher ed. And most of these youngster were made to believe the only way to get ahead in life was with a college degree.
Their degrees have put the majority of them even further in the hole.

Reactions: Palos verdes

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
How much does a house cost now?
In the GTR? No clue but guessing something like $1,500 a month plus a $1,500 deposit if you're not too picky?
Worth it to leave a good job for one that's unknown and "at will"? Not to most youths today.
To go from a $15 an hour job to a $40 an hour job? Seems like a no brainer. Hell, I don't know how we have a single CDL driver until those jobs are full with a waiting list.
No one who's not from the area will consider it, and those that are have already left and set down roots.

The answer is to pay more, but we both know how likely that is to happen. Companies don't set up shop in MS to pay more. All those cost of living savings are reflected in the lower pay they offer, and they all act surprised that they can't recruit, yet won't change.
If you are paying 150% of the median family income for a state to entry level workers in a relatively low cost of living part of the state, then I don't think not paying enough is the real problem.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Great news! This is the kind of news MSU needs. Any new job producers regarless of what we think the salary will be is welcome. Means a few more butts that will buy season tickets for a new and improved DWS. This to me is much more important than recent sports results.....laying the foundation for some more population in the GTR area is critical.

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
How much does a house cost now? Worth it to leave a good job for one that's unknown and "at will"? Not to most youths today. No one who's not from the area will consider it, and those that are have already left and set down roots.

You honestly have no idea what you are talking about. SDI pays like nobody else in the area. Most people will walk in the door making $70K+ and be in the $100K range within their first two years. SDI isn’t paying one wage in Mississippi and another wage in Indianna and Pennsylvania. The guys in Columbus make the exact same money as the guys in Pittsburgh.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
In the GTR? No clue but guessing something like $1,500 a month plus a $1,500 deposit if you're not too picky?

To go from a $15 an hour job to a $40 an hour job? Seems like a no brainer. Hell, I don't know how we have a single CDL driver until those jobs are full with a waiting list.

If you are paying 150% of the median family income for a state to entry level workers in a relatively low cost of living part of the state, then I don't think not paying enough is the real problem.
Well I was speaking of engineers....not sure why. I agree techs should not be hard to find for $40 an hour. I was working for a place there last year that lost most of their techs to $20 an hour offers or so. Didn't try to match the pay, lost millions.

Moving is still more of a barrier than most people appreciate though. Both economic and non-economic reasons.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You honestly have no idea what you are talking about. SDI pays like nobody else in the area. Most people will walk in the door making $70K+ and be in the $100K range within their first two years. SDI isn’t paying one wage in Mississippi and another wage in Indianna and Pennsylvania. The guys in Columbus make the exact same money as the guys in Pittsburgh.
Equal pay for equal work no matter the location in the USA?

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I can see that other businesses in the area are going to suffer though.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Good for them. I wish more would, I know others in the area that won't.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Well I was speaking of engineers....not sure why. I agree techs should not be hard to find for $40 an hour. I was working for a place there last year that lost most of their techs to $20 an hour offers or so. Didn't try to match the pay, lost millions.

Moving is still more of a barrier than most people appreciate though. Both economic and non-economic reasons.
I'm not really familiar with how any of those type places pay their engineers. I would have assumed they would have to pay a premium to get people to live there. Just for one example, the few IP plants I've seen are in places I wouldn't move to without getting paid a huge premium. Although on the flipside I guess a lot of these factories are the only game in town where they are, so if there are local people that can get qualified, maybe they can get away with lowballing.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I'm not really familiar with how any of those type places pay their engineers. I would have assumed they would have to pay a premium to get people to live there. Just for one example, the few IP plants I've seen are in places I wouldn't move to without getting paid a huge premium. Although on the flipside I guess a lot of these factories are the only game in town where they are, so if there are local people that can get qualified, maybe they can get away with lowballing.
If my memory serves me correctly, Houston, TX is a big landing spot for MSU engineers. I believe this is one of our largest alumni chapters in the country, if the THE largest.

(Texas has no state income tax, so that's an economic development and recruiting plus)

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Memphis is MSU's largest out of state alumni group by a large margin.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
The conversation was about one particular corporation.
No. The post I specifically replied to mentioned Nissan specifically, along with companies in general, and I specifically mentioned "companies", in the plural.

But thanks for the info. I know very little about SDI even though I work tangentially to their business. Good to learn about them.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Something happening in the GTR? Ok.

I think @Mr. Cook might be envisioning something like this…

*Cue GOP Middle Aged White Dude Voiceover*

In America where Liberal Democrats’ failed promises lead to poor economic conditions, it’s up to America’s States & their leaders to Deliver where Biden and Harris do not.

In Mississippi, under the leadership of Governor Tate Reeves, the state worked to attract an industry that promised over 1,000 good paying jobs each paying over $90,000 yearly.

Real solutions. Right solutions. Republican solutions.

Vote GOP in 2022.

*Cue Patriotic Music*

American Flag Animation GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Cook

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
And maybe it helps Tater Tot especially since this job creation is happening near the home base of a likely challenger to be state's Chief Yam next year...

No. The post I specifically replied to mentioned Nissan specifically, along with companies in general, and I specifically mentioned "companies", in the plural.

But thanks for the info. I know very little about SDI even though I work tangentially to their business. Good to learn about them.
Boomer he isn't wrong about SDI. I know people who work there, line workers not higher ups.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login