Egg Bowl moves to Friday on ABC

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I like this much better than thanksgiving night. The thanksgiving night game was cool when every game was not essentially a national broadcast. But once every game we had was on espn and the nfl started doing thanksgiving night games, it really lost its luster.

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
Has it ever been on Friday? I know it has been Saturday afternoon a few times but don't remember a Friday game

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
This is great news for 2024. However notice, just 2024.

I bet cha if ESPN offers &elmon a nickle more for Thursday v Friday, it will be back to Thursday when in Starkville.

Grumpy old man, signing off

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
2007/2008 were Friday AM games.
2007 was notably the Pegues punt return game that got Orgeron fired. 2008 was the one egg bowl loss that State fans didn't mind, because it was the one that ushered us out of the Croom error - but that wasn't an AM game. That was a Friday evening game, though.

ETA: I stand corrected. 2008 was a day game too.

Reactions: Double Dawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
2007 was notably the Pegues punt return game that got Orgeron fired. 2008 was the one egg bowl loss that State fans didn't mind, because it was the one that ushered us out of the Croom error - but that wasn't an AM game. That was a Friday evening game, though.

Yes, it was early Friday, I remember because I watched that debacle and then drove down to the coast and watched my high school lose in the South State championship on the same day. 15 year old me had better days than that one.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004

Yeah, I specifically remember when they did the first one that it was known it was a two-year deal.

I also specifically remember stopping walking out of the stadium in the early afternoon to listen to Jack call the Sonic Drive of the Game, because I had a feeling what was coming. Where we sat most of the game, I could see Jack in his booth, freezing and huddled up in misery. It was truly one of his best called games. My personal favorite was something to the effect of "Lee sacked again, this time for only a loss of seven"

Reactions: Drebin

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Hope it stays on Friday for 10 years.
Will become a tradition that folks around the country look forward to and gets a lot of viewership from same.
Thanksgiving use to be great until the NFL decided it wanted that viewership and the NFL is more widely popular than college football.
Plus it kinda sucked for a lot of fans with family commitments.

Dawg Hammer 87

May 6, 2024
i can make it out of the duck blind and home in time to watch on tv. May actually attend. Opening day of duck season more entertaining than egg bowl plus i am making memories with my 2 sons will i still can! Once I get to where i can't get in and out of blind then maybe i'll make more of those games because i know it will remain on Friday and somebody can wheel me into Davis-Wade.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, I specifically remember when they did the first one that it was known it was a two-year deal.

I also specifically remember stopping walking out of the stadium in the early afternoon to listen to Jack call the Sonic Drive of the Game, because I had a feeling what was coming. Where we sat most of the game, I could see Jack in his booth, freezing and huddled up in misery. It was truly one of his best called games. My personal favorite was something to the effect of "Lee sacked again, this time for only a loss of seven"
Jack really became bitter during the Croom error, and who can blame him with all the bad football he witnessed. But one of my biggest frustrations in life is that Jack didn't live long enough to enjoy 2014. He deserved that.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Hope it stays on Friday for 10 years.
Will become a tradition that folks around the country look forward to and gets a lot of viewership from same.
Thanksgiving use to be great until the NFL decided it wanted that viewership and the NFL is more widely popular than college football.
Plus it kinda sucked for a lot of fans with family commitments.
NFL has a Black Friday game that airs on Amazon and is the same time as our game. However, our window on broadcast tv vs NFL on Amazon > Thu window on cable tv vs NFL on broadcast tv.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I had not missed many campus Egg Bowls up to 2008. However I could see that train coming a mile down the tracks. I was within an hour of Oxford that day and avoided that game as best I could.

I hope Lebby is putting something together and we can give them a game this year.

Last edited:

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

So basically, Friday Egg Bowls are really good for us.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It will be between 7M and 10M viewers on that time slot and it would be only 2M to 3M on ESPN

So yeah thats good for "the brand" unless we get into an all out brawl and look 3rd world again

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Jack really became bitter during the Croom error, and who can blame him with all the bad football he witnessed. But one of my biggest frustrations in life is that Jack didn't live long enough to enjoy 2014. He deserved that.
Without a doubt! 2008 Egg Bowl we garnered an impressive 24 yards of total offense. That may have been my low point of GAF of my MSU fandom.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Needs to be moved back to Veterans Memorial Stadium at 1:00 on Saturday ahead of JSU- Alcorn St. Like the good ol' days***

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login