Egg Bowl moves to Friday on ABC

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Wish it stayed Thanksgiving or moved to Saturday. I don't get Black Friday off at work so not only will I not be able to go, since it's in the middle of the day I won't even get to watch

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Without a doubt! 2008 Egg Bowl we garnered an impressive 24 yards of total offense. That may have been my low point of GAF of my MSU fandom.
I will never forget Jack's call late in the game when Relf played, paraphrasing somewhat - "This Relf kid really has a big arm. He is making throws 40-50 yards downfield. He hasn't thrown one within 10 yards of a receiver, but he has big arm".

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I don't want to air out grievances here, but it all started when you talked to that lady in the garden and you've kept stirring the pot since.
jon lovitz devil GIF

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
You just encourage the things we shouldn't be doing.

You just encourage the things we shouldn't be doing.
I have found it is usually weak minded people that use this excuse to cover their own behavior. Your desire is your true devil not me. Not talking about you obviously just saying in general. You humans blame me for everything because of a book that was written by my enemies.

• Haha
Reactions: Anon1697564126

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I will never forget Jack's call late in the game when Relf played, paraphrasing somewhat - "This Relf kid really has a big arm. He is making throws 40-50 yards downfield. He hasn't thrown one within 10 yards of a receiver, but he has big arm".
Whenever I tell people about that 45-0 beat down, I always add "but the game was not really as close as the score would indicate."

I wish the game would stay on Thanksgiving. It has become such a great post meal bonding activity. And most years, it eventually turns into your old, drunk uncle yelling inappropriate comments at everyone.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Whenever I tell people about that 45-0 beat down, I always add "but the game was not really as close as the score would indicate."

I wish the game would stay on Thanksgiving. It has become such a great post meal bonding activity. And most years, it eventually turns into your old, drunk uncle yelling inappropriate comments at everyone.
The only State loss that I truly consider "bitter -sweet".

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
This is great news for 2024. However notice, just 2024.

I bet cha if ESPN offers &elmon a nickle more for Thursday v Friday, it will be back to Thursday when in Starkville.

Grumpy old man, signing off
That won't happen because ABC/ESPN are owned by the same company. The SEC is under contract with them, so wherever ABC/ESPN want it to be is where it will be. The contract is already signed, sealed, and delivered.

Reactions: SouthMsDawg02

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
2007 was notably the Pegues punt return game that got Orgeron fired. 2008 was the one egg bowl loss that State fans didn't mind, because it was the one that ushered us out of the Croom error - but that wasn't an AM game. That was a Friday evening game, though.

ETA: I stand corrected. 2008 was a day game too.
I was driving back to Starkville from Thanksgiving in Covington County during both of those games and during both, I was laughing my *** off the entire way back. In 2007 because of the comeback (I actually had to pull over between Mize and Raleigh during the punt return so I didn't run off of the road) and in 2008 because you just had a feeling with LT out of the way and the Ninja in place, that *** whooping was going to end our misery and thankfully it did.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
That won't happen because ABC/ESPN are owned by the same company. The SEC is under contract with them, so wherever ABC/ESPN want it to be is where it will be. The contract is already signed, sealed, and delivered.
So this isnt just a one off? There is a contract for this game to be on Friday? How many years?

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
So this isnt just a one off? There is a contract for this game to be on Friday? How many years?
No, it's a one off. I was responding to the post that Selmon would take money to move it wherever. The SEC has a contract with ABC/ESPN. They can put it wherever they want. The SEC signed the new contract with ABC/ESPN is what I was referencing.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
No, it's a one off. I was responding to the post that Selmon would take money to move it wherever. The SEC has a contract with ABC/ESPN. They can put it wherever they want. The SEC signed the new contract with ABC/ESPN is what I was referencing.
We've always had a contract with ESPN. However the ADs along with the SEC made the decisions to play it on thanksgiving in years past.

I hope aTm and Texas want that honor now. They'll bring more viewers and the sec will protect the interest of ESPN.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I have found it is usually weak minded people that use this excuse to cover their own behavior. Your desire is your true devil not me. Not talking about you obviously just saying in general. You humans blame me for everything because of a book that was written by my enemies.
At that a book you are completely absent from for the first 70%, then kind of mentioned a little in the final 30% and nearly completely invented by people after that book was written.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
I was driving back to Starkville from Thanksgiving in Covington County during both of those games and during both, I was laughing my *** off the entire way back. In 2007 because of the comeback (I actually had to pull over between Mize and Raleigh during the punt return so I didn't run off of the road) and in 2008 because you just had a feeling with LT out of the way and the Ninja in place, that *** whooping was going to end our misery and thankfully it did.
For me, the 2008 Egg Bowl was significant for a few reasons.
1- The obvious end of a sad era.
2- It kept my streak alive of attending Egg Bowls in person. (This year will be my 48th consecutive.)
3- It started a new streak of attending it with my son. He was 6 years old at the time and is, as of this month, a MSU alum.
4- The only one I've ever left before the clock hit 0:00.

Oct 17, 2023
I'm probably joining you for laughing at this, but I couldn't help it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login