Egg Bowl thoughts 9 days out....

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
I am expecting a close game. I feel like Ole Miss wins a close one right now because I think they will attack MSU where every other good offense has, the safeties. I felt like Auburn really picked on Jalen Green in the first half of last Saturday. If MSU wins, it will be because they could not consistently exploit matchups with Drummond/Mingo against the safeties. I expect the run defense to do what they have done all year, but Conner/Ealy/Parrish jr will be a tall task to wrangle all night. I also feel like Ole Miss will have a trick up their sleeve for MSU like a flea flicker of some sort. Drop your thoughts and expectations below.

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It's going to be the highest scoring egg bowl in history. Get ready for 50 by both teams

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
I’d be worried about getting beat deep if it was first half Corral. But something has been off for several weeks. His health, the receivers health who knows. But their passing offense is not the same. With that being said we can’t give up 200+ on the ground. I think If we can avoid giving up the 30+ yard runs, we win.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Ole Miss uses the run to set up the pass the safeties can’t get caught watching the “eye candy” in the backfield. Also, need to make sure Corral gets hit early and often.

klong-dog

Aug 22, 2012
Where I feel they may try an exploit us, is with Corral's legs. They'll run him like he did against Tennessee if they have to.

Last edited:

bulldogbaja

Dec 18, 2007
I just don’t think Ole Miss is as good as us… don’t really see it being super close. Remember, Auburn beat them pretty soundly.
I will say this though: I think we should be prepared to burn a first-half timeout during their first offensive drive. They have the first couple of drives scripted to an incredible degree. Not just the plays, but player movements between the plays. Where every wide receiver ends their route, it takes them right towards where they start the next play. The whole thing is a choreographed dance. It’s impressive and as long as they execute there’s almost nothing you can do to catch up. Which takes me back to my point- burn a timeout after their first offensive play. Throw the whole thing off.

Sep 9, 2012
A couple of things about OM…

Their offense is not quite as good as it gets credit for being. They are putting up 30.7 PPG in SEC play, which is 10 points off of their average from last year. That will go up after they play Vandy this weekend, but the point remains that this is not quite the same offense from a year ago. Our offense has been every bit as good if not better the past month or so.

Their defense is not as bad as its reputation indicates. It is legitimately improved from a year ago, and they can get after the QB pretty well. OM leads the SEC in sacks per game- although in fairness, a lot of that was racked up against non conference teams. If we can protect Rogers and give him a clean pocket, I think we will do really well offensively, but Sam Williams has to be accounted for.

I agree that our safeties are very vulnerable. But if we can limit explosive TD plays through the air, we have a good shot at stopping them in the RZ.

Lastly, the OM offense has been really good early but terrible recently in the second half of games. In the last three games (AU, Liberty, and A&M), OM has scored only one offensive TD in the second half… And the one TD came off of a turnover that started their drive inside the A&M 20. It will be an interesting matchup considering we have started slow and then been unstoppable late. If we can get to the half at least tied, I really like our chances.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
We should be honored to share the same field with OM. Corral is a once in a generation QB. He's redefining the position. Heisman frontrunner. Leader of men. Salt of the Earth grinder. I hope our program takes full advantage of the teaching opportunity Ole Miss is affording us. We should consider ourselves lucky...

Last edited by a moderator:

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
We're going to give up yards, they move it between the 20's well against pretty much everybody. The key is going to be keeping them out of the end zone and forcing them into either kicking field goals or Kiffin making dumb 4th down decisions. We did a decent job of that last year and it kept us in the game. If I'm Arnett, my focus is on stopping the run. Their worst offensive games this year have been when they've struggled to establish the running game. I know they have a very good QB and a solid group of receivers that can hurt you through the air, but the running game has been the straw that stirs the drink for them.

I know their defense has been playing better but I have a ton of trust in Will Rogers at this point. If we lose the game I don't feel like it will be because of him. You certainly have to see what our OL does, they've been much better of late but they can still be mistake prone.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I just don’t think Ole Miss is as good as us… don’t really see it being super close. Remember, Auburn beat them pretty soundly.

I agree with this. They did beat arkansas and LSU but then we played well enough to beat them too and killed ourselves with mistakes. Auburn wasn't even close for the sharts and we rolled the tigers after spotting them 25. We are playing at home with two weeks to prepare with an offense that is on fire right now. If we get our usual slow start it will be a nail biter. If we can come out firing on all cylinders from the start we win by two scores.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
The last time they came to Starkville all I heard was Ole Miss is going to run up and down the field on us. Plumlee is going to set a record and Ole Miss was going to beat our butts. It did not happen. Kiffin and dumbass going for it on 4th down will be his demise that night.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Hoping for a win and no broken bones. Trying to predict the future has never worked out all that well for me.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
Thoughts based on my 43 years of in person Egg Bowl experience.
Our o-line needs to have their best game of the year. The UM defense will come out with max pressure and blitz like their hair is on fire with the intent to physically take Rogers out of the game. If that doesn't work they at least want him rattled. On the other side of the ball the OM offense will pull out every trick play known to man and go for the home run ball often. This goes for special teams as well. If we win the battle in the trenches (protect Will and corral Corral) and don't give up big plays we win easily. If we do one, but not the other, the game will be tight. If we do neither, we'll get blown out.

Shadow34

Aug 22, 2012
I just hope it doesnt come down to our kicking game (See 2019). We cant let em beat us in the first quarter by letting em drop 14-21 on us or something. We win the first quarter/half, we win the game.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
We should be honored to share the same field with OM. Corral is a once in a generation QB. He's redefining the position. Heisman frontrunner. Leader of men. Salt of the Earth grinder. I hope out program takes full advantage of the teaching opportunity Ole Miss is affording us. We should consider ourselves lucky...

It makes winning so much more meaningful.

JML105

Sep 4, 2012
I am expecting a close game. I feel like Ole Miss wins a close one right now because I think they will attack MSU where every other good offense has, the safeties. I felt like Auburn really picked on Jalen Green in the first half of last Saturday. If MSU wins, it will be because they could not consistently exploit matchups with Drummond/Mingo against the safeties. I expect the run defense to do what they have done all year, but Conner/Ealy/Parrish jr will be a tall task to wrangle all night. I also feel like Ole Miss will have a trick up their sleeve for MSU like a flea flicker of some sort. Drop your thoughts and expectations below.

RiceDawg? MSU? lol. Great scouting report*

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Thoughts based on my 43 years of in person Egg Bowl experience.
Our o-line needs to have their best game of the year. The UM defense will come out with max pressure and blitz like their hair is on fire with the intent to physically take Rogers out of the game. If that doesn't work they at least want him rattled. On the other side of the ball the OM offense will pull out every trick play known to man and go for the home run ball often. This goes for special teams as well. If we win the battle in the trenches (protect Will and corral Corral) and don't give up big plays we win easily. If we do one, but not the other, the game will be tight. If we do neither, we'll get blown out.

I sincerely hope they blitz the whole game, Rogers might break Costello’s record if they do.

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
What's wrong with my name? And I say MSU because I try not to say 'us' or 'we' because I am not a player or coach.

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013

Drummond and Mingo can’t exploit your safety’s if they can’t play. If Mingo plays he will be extremely limited. He’s just now back trying to practice after major surgery. Drummond is clearly banged up, and they’re just having to pick and choose spots with him. He’s definitely not 100%. And Sanders has been hurt his entire career, unfortunately. We are very limited at WR, right now. Kiffin said in the preseason that he felt like our top 3 WR’s were as good as any trio in the country. But the drop off after them was substantial. And, wouldn’t you know it, all 3 are hurt.

It may prove difficult to scheme average WRs open against your NFL CBS. And we don’t really have a vertical threat at TE to stress your safety’s. That should allow you to bring an extra guy in the box, and improve your already very good run D. And our offense is built around the run game. I think we are in top 3 in the country in rushing. That’s the key matchup. Ole Miss run game versus MSU run D.

The game will likely be decided in the red zone. I expect both teams to move the ball fairly well between the 25’s. But scoring TD’s will decide it.

Matchups I think will favor MSU:
- your interior DL against our interior OL
- your CBs on our very average WRs
- Charles Cross against Cedric Johnson/Tavius Robinson
- home field advantage

Matchups I think will favor Ole Miss:
- Corral and the chess match with safety’s
- Sam Williams against Scott Lashley; if they don’t give Lashley some help, Williams can wreck a drive or two
- schematic matchup with Rogers being a pocket guy - Ole Miss has fared much better against pocket QBs over dual threat guys; but your newfound running game is concerning
- I do feel a little better against the air raid with our base D being a 3-2-6. Our secondary is pretty decent at every position. We don’t have elite guys like Emerson and Forbes, but no glaring holes either

It ought to be a great game. I’ll be a nervous wreck. If Ole Miss didn’t have the substantial offensive injuries they have, I’d like Ole Miss as a moderate favorite, -3 maybe. But with the injuries the line will likely be a Pick ‘Em, and I think MSU would be the best bet. Hopefully I’ll see some of you there!

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
We're going to give up yards, they move it between the 20's well against pretty much everybody. The key is going to be keeping them out of the end zone and forcing them into either kicking field goals or Kiffin making dumb 4th down decisions. We did a decent job of that last year and it kept us in the game. If I'm Arnett, my focus is on stopping the run. Their worst offensive games this year have been when they've struggled to establish the running game. I know they have a very good QB and a solid group of receivers that can hurt you through the air, but the running game has been the straw that stirs the drink for them.

I know their defense has been playing better but I have a ton of trust in Will Rogers at this point. If we lose the game I don't feel like it will be because of him. You certainly have to see what our OL does, they've been much better of late but they can still be mistake prone.

I wouldn't call their receiving corps "solid." They are significantly less explosive than last year. Drummond and Sanders are solid, but they're not the player Elijah Moore was for them. Mingo likely won't play and if does, well, he's missed most of the season. Their receivers look better than they are for two reasons: Corral's mobility, and the ability of Ole Miss to run the football. If State can stop their running attack, it will be a long, long day for them.

Our receivers are better as a unit than theirs, and it's not close.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
As great as State played last week, a healthy OM would likely win by 10 or more. Sam Williams definitely needs more than Lashley to hit him on each play. If he is able to be disruptive the OM defense will have a good chance to slow down the Air Raid.
Their run game is going to be the key for them, so we need to play our best game at the line of scrimmage on defense. Those backs are legit and their vision during a play is outstanding. They seem to always find a crease and their speed really scares me.
The bottom line is: OM always finds some luck and cashes in on a big play or two in just about every damn Egg Bowl I've ever witnessed.
Hoping that State's miracle win on the Plains gives us some extra confidence and swagger and we "win this thing!"

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
We will crush them. That is all.
I think so too. You can feel it coming. Sort of. But I could also see a situation like 2015, where they just flex on us because I do feel like, overall, they have more talent (older talent specifically). That's a bipolar way of saying I have no freaking idea.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Drummond and Mingo can’t exploit your safety’s if they can’t play. If Mingo plays he will be extremely limited. He’s just now back trying to practice after major surgery. Drummond is clearly banged up, and they’re just having to pick and choose spots with him. He’s definitely not 100%. And Sanders has been hurt his entire career, unfortunately. We are very limited at WR, right now. Kiffin said in the preseason that he felt like our top 3 WR’s were as good as any trio in the country. But the drop off after them was substantial. And, wouldn’t you know it, all 3 are hurt.

It may prove difficult to scheme average WRs open against your NFL CBS. And we don’t really have a vertical threat at TE to stress your safety’s. That should allow you to bring an extra guy in the box, and improve your already very good run D. And our offense is built around the run game. I think we are in top 3 in the country in rushing. That’s the key matchup. Ole Miss run game versus MSU run D.

The game will likely be decided in the red zone. I expect both teams to move the ball fairly well between the 25’s. But scoring TD’s will decide it.

Matchups I think will favor MSU:
- your interior DL against our interior OL
- your CBs on our very average WRs
- Charles Cross against Cedric Johnson/Tavius Robinson
- home field advantage

Matchups I think will favor Ole Miss:
- Corral and the chess match with safety’s
- Sam Williams against Scott Lashley; if they don’t give Lashley some help, Williams can wreck a drive or two
- schematic matchup with Rogers being a pocket guy - Ole Miss has fared much better against pocket QBs over dual threat guys; but your newfound running game is concerning
- I do feel a little better against the air raid with our base D being a 3-2-6. Our secondary is pretty decent at every position. We don’t have elite guys like Emerson and Forbes, but no glaring holes either

It ought to be a great game. I’ll be a nervous wreck. If Ole Miss didn’t have the substantial offensive injuries they have, I’d like Ole Miss as a moderate favorite, -3 maybe. But with the injuries the line will likely be a Pick ‘Em, and I think MSU would be the best bet. Hopefully I’ll see some of you there!
Game will be decided the same way it always is when the teams are similar - whoever brings the pain will win.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
I said I think they will "come out with max pressure and blitz", not do it the whole game. I seriously think they try to take out Rogers early. When our offense has leaned heavily on QB play and not a stud running back like Boobie D, they've tried to take them out with some dirty hits. Ask Dak or Fitz. Rogers is a lightweight compared to those 2. Our O-line had better bring their A game.

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
As great as State played last week, a healthy OM would likely win by 10 or more. Sam Williams definitely needs more than Lashley to hit him on each play. If he is able to be disruptive the OM defense will have a good chance to slow down the Air Raid.
Their run game is going to be the key for them, so we need to play our best game at the line of scrimmage on defense. Those backs are legit and their vision during a play is outstanding. They seem to always find a crease and their speed really scares me.
The bottom line is: OM always finds some luck and cashes in on a big play or two in just about every damn Egg Bowl I've ever witnessed.
Hoping that State's miracle win on the Plains gives us some extra confidence and swagger and we "win this thing!"

I imagine every Ole Miss fan feels the same way about MSU catching breaks lol. That’s the beauty of rivalries I guess. We remember every bad call, unlucky play, and freak thing that goes against us. But the ones that go our way? That’s just football, baby!!

I also don’t think you had a miracle on the plains. I think things clicked and yalls staff out-adjusted theirs, and you kicked their ***. A 21-0 run with two freak turnovers is maybe a “miracle”. A 40-0 on the road at Jordan-Hare is you kicking the absolute **** out of them.

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
The last time they came to Starkville all I heard was Ole Miss is going to run up and down the field on us. Plumlee is going to set a record and Ole Miss was going to beat our butts. It did not happen. Kiffin and dumbass going for it on 4th down will be his demise that night.

On the 4th downs - you may very well be right. But it also might be what winds up swinging the game in Ole Miss’ favor. He dang sure won’t be afraid to do it. I know this much is true - every fans buttholes will be clinched on those 4th down tries, MSU and OM, alike

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I bought a new rain poncho just for that game. 31% right now. And it will be a great game. Hopefully we will be hitting on all cylinders for 4 quarters.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login