Eligible for the 2023 Baseball HOF: Who you got?

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Is there some unwritten rule of Cooperstown that someone MUST be inducted from every eligible year?

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I imagine Beltran eventually gets in, certainly not a 1st Ballot HOFer. Can't really see anyone else on that list making it.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Not a super impressive list. I do think Carlos Beltran and Francisco Rodriguez deserve to be in the hall of fame. Not sure if they deserve first ballot or not.

Some of those guys though are just people who had a couple good years. Mike Napoli?

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Those guys couldn't get voted into an all-star game, much less the HOF

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Without Pete Rose and the roid crew, I can't take them seriously. The people that vote are a lot of sorry *** media fools. The Hall of Fame is dead to me.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Beltran maybe but it’s unlikely and that’s not even considering his role in the Astros scandal

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Without Pete Rose and the roid crew, I can't take them seriously. The people that vote are a lot of sorry *** media fools. The Hall of Fame is dead to me.

I agree. It’s a sham that Pete Rose and the poster boy steroid users are banned when there’s people currently elected that have ties to drug trafficking, steroids, cocaine, speed, and who knows what else. If the same standards were applied to all hofers we’d lose at least half of them.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I agree. It’s a sham that Pete Rose and the poster boy steroid users are banned when there’s people currently elected that have ties to drug trafficking, steroids, cocaine, speed, and who knows what else. If the same standards were applied to all hofers we’d lose at least half of them.

The opinion by the status quo is 17em... They knew what they did was wrong.

"The wages off sin is death"

Guess that's going to just be tough for the rest of us to overcome in the end.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I'm not disputing anything you say, I'm merely curious: who in the baseball HOF has ties to drug trafficking?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not a super impressive list. I do think Carlos Beltran and Francisco Rodriguez deserve to be in the hall of fame. Not sure if they deserve first ballot or not.

Some of those guys though are just people who had a couple good years. Mike Napoli?

I don't even recognize most of those players. Carlos Beltran I recognize and I recognize the name Jacoby Ellsbury (I am guessing he had some big plays in playoffs against the yankees and that's why I recognize him?). I'm not a baseball fan, so not really surprising that I don't recognize some of them, but I recognize names like Mike Trout or Bryce Harper (I'm guessing just from sixpack) and Ohtani just because of the buzz around pitching and hitting. You'd think people having hall of fame careers would at least have some name recognition outside of the sport.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Nope. He knew the consequences when he made his choice.

The rule on ineligible players being blocked from the Hall of Fame was added 2 years AFTER Pete Rose was banned from baseball (pretty much specifically targeting him as the reason for the rule). Being blocked from the Hall of Fame wasn't a known consequence at the time.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

Yeah, Napoli was my son's favorite player when he was with the Rangers, but I mean... Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle.... Napoli?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don't even recognize most of those players. Carlos Beltran I recognize and I recognize the name Jacoby Ellsbury (I am guessing he had some big plays in playoffs against the yankees and that's why I recognize him?). I'm not a baseball fan, so not really surprising that I don't recognize some of them, but I recognize names like Mike Trout or Bryce Harper (I'm guessing just from sixpack) and Ohtani just because of the buzz around pitching and hitting. You'd think people having hall of fame careers would at least have some name recognition outside of the sport.

Very fair point. I remember most of the names but honestly forgot about most of them, which at a baseline is reason enough to not be HOF worthy.

Carlos Beltran is HOF worthy (1st ballot is questionable). His career numbers are .279 BA, 435 home runs, 1,587 RBIs, 2,725 hits and an OPS of .837. Over a 20 year career those are good numbers.

AROB44

Mar 20, 2008
Rafael Palmeiro!

Palmeiro and Alex Rodriguez are the only Hall-eligible player with at least 3,000 hits and 500 homers who are not enshrined.

PlayerCareer hitsCareer home runs
Hank Aaron3,771755
Alex Rodriguez3,115696
Albert Pujols3,308681
Willie Mays3,293660
Rafael Palmeiro3,020569
Eddie Murray3,255504
Miguel Cabrera3,000502

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:

shotgunDawg

Nov 13, 2011
Bad year. Beltran is the only HOFer on this list & he's a slam dunk unless sign stealing eliminates him

shotgunDawg

Nov 13, 2011
I imagine Beltran eventually gets in, certainly not a 1st Ballot HOFer. Can't really see anyone else on that list making it.

70 lifetime WAR is pretty significant. He's got a first ballot chance unless the writers punish him for the sign stealing for a few years

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login