Eliza Fletcher update:

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
A deceased body has been found near the area where the suspect cleaned blood out of his SUV.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I didn't figure there was going to be a happy ending to this case. I hope they fry his a$$.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Now as a citizen of TN I get to pay for him to to be incarcerated. What a crock of ****

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Don’t worry. Mulllroy is practicing his best “you better not do it a third time” speech.

Sep 12, 2013
Now as a citizen of TN I get to pay for him to to be incarcerated. What a crock of ****

Tennessee has the death penalty, albeit not used much I don’t think.

He will probably plead guilty to get life instead of risking the DP going to trial.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018

Once found guilty, they ought to let the father of the victim have his revenge. Until dead.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Believe it or not, way more of your tax dollars would go to the death penalty than keeping him in prison for life.

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
I hope she is alive but there isn’t much rational basis for thinking she could be. I wish not telling a family where the victim’s body is resulted in an increased or aggravated charge. He knows where she is (unless he had an accomplice who is still at large who separately disposed of her body or is still holding her captive). This is just pure evil. I pray for her family.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Tennessee has the death penalty, albeit not used much I don’t think.

He will probably plead guilty to get life instead of risking the DP going to trial.

The Memphis DA wouldn't seek the death penalty. I was surprised that they even set bail as high as they did. They wouldn't have if there wasn't so much publicity for this case.

They should give this guy the slowest, most painful death ever, and they should broadcast it on pay per view and give all the proceeds raised to the school where Eliza taught.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
They confirmed it inadvertently last night. There was a facebook live feed from the scene that picked up some cops talking about the murder scene, that it was her, the mom had ID'ed her, and her body was burned.

The feed got muted shortly after that.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
Put me in for, "worth it". Exterminating guys like this so they won't kill again is a much better use of my tax dollars than ______________ (I'll let you fill in your own blank so this thread won't turn political)

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Put me in for, "worth it". Exterminating guys like this so they won't kill again is a much better use of my tax dollars than ______________ (I'll let you fill in your own blank so this thread won't turn political)

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012

Agreed, and that's coming from a leftie. The problem that creeps in though is that ****** politicians and lawyers and judges are inevitably involved, leading to a shitstorm of crappy prosecutions, inept defense lawyers for the poor, and politically or career motivated prosecutions. And that's without getting into those that testify and their own ****** motives, memory, and incentives.

We've tried the death penalty as policy for a long time, but no one has come up with a way to implement that policy in a way to overcome the shittiness of the people implementing it.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

That’s a fine position to take. I was simply replying to someone complaining about the cost to incarcerate the guy (or anyone else).

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I've had my hopes built up for Memphis recently but this incident along with the election of Mulroy and the new juvenile court judge are cause for real concern IMO. An already violent town is about to get worse and many of it's loyal residents will start trickling out to better places. Wash, rinse , repeat.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
Yeah that wasn't supposed to be a rebuttle or anything, just me saying there is a special class of people who commit heinous crimes like this, and they need to go. Permanently. This guy served 20 YEARS in prison for kidnapping already, and still got out and did it again, the only difference was that this time he was successful in killing his victim.

I also feel pretty certain that if we started making punishment in cases like this more severe, more public, and happen quicker, there would be a huge deterrent factor that's hard to measure.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Agreed, and that's coming from a leftie. The problem that creeps in though is that ****** politicians and lawyers and judges are inevitably involved, leading to a shitstorm of crappy prosecutions, inept defense lawyers for the poor, and politically or career motivated prosecutions. And that's without getting into those that testify and their own ****** motives, memory, and incentives.

We've tried the death penalty as policy for a long time, but no one has come up with a way to implement that policy in a way to overcome the shittiness of the people implementing it.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that, but we already have those issues while sentencing people to decades of anal rape. I'm not sure how much worse the death penalty is.

I'd be fine if we got rid of the death penalty in exchange for real deal life without parole. Put those people in a Parchman type set up and do whatever it takes to make it cheaper, and then use the money saved on prisoners in jail for non-violent offenses.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
God that's awful. Terrible way for friends and family to find out details.

Also, twitter is a cesspool of garbage. Lots of "she shouldn't have been dressed like that" and "why was she out running on the streets of Memphis at 4:30 am" hot takes going around.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Dammit m17er!!! If you live in or visit one of these ******** dem cities you must carry and use if threatened by any of these predator animals

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I've had my hopes built up for Memphis recently but this incident along with the election of Mulroy and the new juvenile court judge are cause for real concern IMO. An already violent town is about to get worse and many of it's loyal residents will start trickling out to better places. Wash, rinse , repeat.

Why is Sugarmon bad? I genuinely have 0 idea one way or the other.
I mean, he can't be as bad as Donna Davenport, right?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Dammit m17er!!! If you live in or visit one of these ******** dem cities you must carry and use if threatened by any of these predator animals

Memphis used to have some restrictive gun laws but the TN gov fixed that in 2021, so there's really no excuse for not carrying in Memphis, provided you're comfortable doing so. I always do.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
She shouldn't have to be afraid out running. I think that most of the sentiment like you described is just people surprised that someone would take that chance with Memphis being so notoriously violent. It's not how it SHOULD be, but it IS how it is.

That being said, I know that the only part of my day that is completely in my control is early morning before chaos hits. If I'm going to guaranty a workout, it has to be early AM. It is certainly not her fault that it happened and the idea that you have to adjust your routine to accommodate animals living among us just sucks too!

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Why is Sugarmon bad? I genuinely have 0 idea one way or the other.
I mean, he can't be as bad as Donna Davenport, right?

He's one of these guys who think juveniles commit crimes because of a racist system, not because they're criminals, and thus, puts them back on the streets instead of sending them to jail.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
She shouldn't have to be afraid out running. I think that most of the sentiment like you described is just people surprised that someone would take that chance with Memphis being so notoriously violent. It's not how it SHOULD be, but it IS how it is.

That being said, I know that the only part of my day that is completely in my control is early morning before chaos hits. If I'm going to guaranty a workout, it has to be early AM. It is certainly not her fault that it happened and the idea that you have to adjust your routine to accommodate animals living among us just sucks too!

The area that she ran was the University of Memphis area and it's just about as safe of an area as you're going to find in the city. She'd been running that route for a long time.

I understand that risks come with the decision to run in a city like that. But I'm not in the game of victim shaming. She deserves to be able to do what she wants without some animal deciding to take her life from her.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Amen. I equate a lot of that with the same sentiment that exists for example, upon hearing that someone died of lung cancer and the first question asked is "did they smoke?". At that point, who cares, someone just died and that matters a lot more than if it was preventable/not preventable, etc. I think people begin to question their own mortality and try to feel like they somehow have more control over their life than they actually do. And some people are just insensitive jerks.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
He's one of these guys who think juveniles commit crimes because of a racist system, not because they're criminals, and thus, puts them back on the streets instead of sending them to jail.

Gotcha. I hadnt heard of him until I googled who the new Court Judge is, so I wasnt sure why he is bad.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021

Sounds like another piece of **** soros backed

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Memphis used to have some restrictive gun laws but the TN gov fixed that in 2021, so there's really no excuse for not carrying in Memphis, provided you're comfortable doing so. I always do.

The problem is I’m not going to carry while out running. I run nearly every day at 5am. Just this year I started running with a group instead of alone. I probably wouldn’t have ran alone for so many years if I was a woman but I can’t blame her for doing it. I also can’t expect her to carry a gun.

What’s really frightening is with all of the Garmin, Strava, MapMyRun, etc. apps out there, many people can be patterned down to the most isolated area on their routine run to be taken advantage of. As you probably know, a large percent of murders are perpetrated by people that are known to the victim. So if you use those apps as a woman, you have the chance of being patterned by someone you are connected to.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Terrible tragedy.

We are in the era of "defund the police," couple this with progressive DAs being elected in some larger metropolitan areas, we should expect more repeat offender thugs to be on the street. This presents an opportunity to talk to your wife/kids about not being a "soft target." Evaluate every situation and do a risk assessment. It likely comes from 32 years of military or maybe just from being a country boy, I constantly check my six, whether walking, driving or boating. Stay alert, stay alive, always anticipate the other guy doing something unexpected.

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The problem is I’m not going to carry while out running. I run nearly every day at 5am. Just this year I started running with a group instead of alone. I probably wouldn’t have ran alone for so many years if I was a woman but I can’t blame her for doing it. I also can’t expect her to carry a gun.

What’s really frightening is with all of the Garmin, Strava, MapMyRun, etc. apps out there, many people can be patterned down to the most isolated area on their routine run to be taken advantage of. As you probably know, a large percent of murders are perpetrated by people that are known to the victim. So if you use those apps as a woman, you have the chance of being patterned by someone you are connected to.

You're right about carrying while running. Not an easy thing to do. My comment wasn't directed toward her or runners in general, but more about carrying while visiting or being out and about in Memphis.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Victim shaming and being smart are not the same thing. I don't know if that was a safe area to run in or not, but if it wasn't, it's not victim shaming to state the fact that it's not smart to run alone in an unsafe area at 4:30 AM.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Victim shaming and being smart are not the same thing. I don't know if that was a safe area to run in or not, but if it wasn't, it's not victim shaming to state the fact that it's not smart to run alone in an unsafe area at 4:30 AM.

It feels like victim shaming to me. That says to me that she was really stupid to do it, thus it's her fault. It's not her fault for getting murdered while doing something she's done a hundred times and obviously felt safe doing.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That's NOT saying it was her fault. And in this case, you say the area is pretty safe so it really doesn't matter. But in any case, it's only one person's fault, whether the victim was smart or not. It's never the victim's fault. But there are ways to make yourself less likely to be a victim. You say you carry in Memphis all the time. That doesn't make it my fault if I'm a victim in Memphis because I don't carry.

That says to me that she was really stupid to do it, thus it's her fault.
This is where your logic is wrong.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I think that there is a place at times that it can not be your fault, but also be preventable by you. For example, when the stop light turns green, I inevitably look both ways to be sure that people are actually stopping before I go. If i did not do that, and got t-boned, it wouldn't be my fault, but i could have prevented it. You are really seeing people's own personal risk tolerance get expressed.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Thank you for explaining this very simple concept that many people apparently have so much trouble understanding much better than I did.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah that wasn't supposed to be a rebuttle or anything, just me saying there is a special class of people who commit heinous crimes like this, and they need to go. Permanently. This guy served 20 YEARS in prison for kidnapping already, and still got out and did it again, the only difference was that this time he was successful in killing his victim.

I also feel pretty certain that if we started making punishment in cases like this more severe, more public, and happen quicker, there would be a huge deterrent factor that's hard to measure.

I don't know how much to trust the research, but supposedly making the punishment happen quicker is as important or more important than making the punishment harsher. Basically likelihood of getting caught is most important, then swiftness, then harshness. Seems like it would be likelihood and harshness, but I guess criminals are almost by definition people that are hyper discounters, so maybe swiftness does matter that much. Or at least that was what was claimed 15-20 years ago. Not sure about now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login