Elon is killing Twitter in its current state…

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
Other than today, I cannot tell a difference between before and after him buying twitter. I don't follow a lot of political sites or political people so I can't say how the algorithm has changed. I don't have a problem with the changes he has made so far. I think his comments about free speech and censorship are spot on though.

Seems like these AI companies are scraping data about us probably trying to predict the future or some ****. It's his effing company he can do what he likes. The predictions of it demise I think are exaggerated.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I'm never going to read more than 600 posts
Does a post count as having been read if it is in a thread and I slide past it?
If I slide past 30 in one go, I can see reaching 600 easily.

I use Twitter maybe 3x per week, but when I go there from an embedded tweet, I will stay there for 10min and easily 'read' over 600 tweets just by swiping the screen to related tweets and responses.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Other than today, I cannot tell a difference between before and after him buying twitter. I don't follow a lot of political sites or political people so I can't say how the algorithm has changed. I don't have a problem with the changes he has made so far. I think his comments about free speech and censorship are spot on though.

Seems like these AI companies are scraping data about us probably trying to predict the future or some ****. It's his effing company he can do what he likes. The predictions of it demise I think are exaggerated.
Same. Well besides DS getting banned. It’s just unusable for me now.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Pretty stupid if you ask me to limit your platform basically. If people are told to get off they just won't come back if it appears like the app doesn't work like it used to. So much for not limiting speech and information. If this is supposed to be for fresh news and real time info he 17ed that real fast with a limit. He's a smart dude but that was pretty damn stupid.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
No he’s not. He’s trying to cut down on the bots and blow up the bias algorithm.

it’s a powerful tool and both sides need to be heard.
These limits don’t do anything to help any of that.
And if you aren’t hearing enough of whatever side you want on Twitter then you don’t know how to use Twitter.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007

What he did to the blue check system is absurd. It was at least handy for discerning who was actually a real person. It means nothing now.

Elon had some of the most talented and popular people consistently churning out content on his platform for free.

He’s chosen to alienate basically everyone in the middle politically and is turning it into a site where only content creators on each fringe will remain.

I look at it less, which I guess is good thing. But it was hard to beat Twitter in its heyday during live sports or a major news event.

Reactions: FQDawg and 8dog

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
What he did to the blue check system is absurd. It was at least handy for discerning who was actually a real person. It means nothing now.

Elon had some of the most talented and popular people consistently churning out content on his platform for free.

He’s chosen to alienate basically everyone in the middle politically and is turning it into a site where only content creators on each fringe will remain.

I look at it less, which I guess is good thing. But it was hard to beat Twitter in its heyday during live sports or a major news event.
Hugh Freeze scandal and Bin Laden being killed are #2 and #1 of Twitter at its greatest.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Hugh Freeze scandal and Bin Laden being killed are #2 and #1 of Twitter at its greatest.
Yeah, the night Bin Laden was killed was just an amazing night on Twitter.

And any election night, no matter who wins. And when a big scandal breaks. The Anthony Weiner one comes to mind. All made so much better (or entertaining anyway) with the old Twitter.

And college football Saturdays in general were great, but the day Freeze coached from a cot in the coaches box was a particularly fun one.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
These limits don’t do anything to help any of that.
And if you aren’t hearing enough of whatever side you want on Twitter then you don’t know how to use Twitter.
Trust me, I only see what I want. My muted words list is impressive. There’s certain MSU big 4 sports I won’t even let through. Mute names of players and everything. I’m a machine.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'm sure somebody will tell me this is BS, but seems like a pretty reasonable explanation...

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I'm sure somebody will tell me this is BS, but seems like a pretty reasonable explanation...

They also said that Elon didn’t want to continue using some Google servers let the contract lapse yesterday. As a result of this and the extra data request by requiring people to log in to access content Twitter may be DDSOing itself and that is why it’s been down.

Reactions: eckie1

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Yeah, that's really gonna kill me.

No Way Eye Roll GIF by ESPN

They have predicted he was going to destroy it many times since he bought it.

Reactions: eckie1

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Elon is doing a wonderful job of promoting the town square and free speech. Go Elon!

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
They also said that Elon didn’t want to continue using some Google servers let the contract lapse yesterday. As a result of this and the extra data request by requiring people to log in to access content Twitter may be DDSOing itself and that is why it’s been down.

It was never down for me and I guess I never hit the limits. The only change I saw was a high level of beatching about a somewhat new subject that seemed like a non issue to a casual Twitter user.

Who is "they", btw?

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
It was never down for me and I guess I never hit the limits. The only change I saw was a high level of beatching about a somewhat new subject that seemed like a non issue to a casual Twitter user.

Who is "they", btw?
If it was truly a daily limit, when does it reset? Because it is still down for me and everyone I know. Every now and then I’ll get a tweet from someone I follow but if I go look for news or sports and click on a topic it’s says Rate Limit Exceeded. I follow 80 people so I’m not sure how viewing 1,000 tweets a day is possible, unless that counts every reply to a tweet as a “view”. They, refers to a lot of tech nerds on Twitter. There are several articles written weeks ago about how Elon was letting the Google server contracts expire on 6/30. I don’t think that is a coincidence.

Reactions: FQDawg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
If it was truly a daily limit, when does it reset? Because it is still down for me and everyone I know. Every now and then I’ll get a tweet from someone I follow but if I go look for news or sports and click on a topic it’s says Rate Limit Exceeded. I follow 80 people so I’m not sure how viewing 1,000 tweets a day is possible, unless that counts every reply to a tweet as a “view”. They, refers to a lot of tech nerds on Twitter. There are several articles written weeks ago about how Elon was letting the Google server contracts expire on 6/30. I don’t think that is a coincidence.

Like I said, I'm literally having no issues, and I'm not a blue check and I pop in every few hours and read a bunch of tweets and reply occasionally.

I can't answer how you and everyone you know can't use Twitter.

I just posted a link to a video from Twitter above.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Like I said, I'm literally having no issues, and I'm not a blue check and I pop in every few hours and read a bunch of tweets and reply occasionally.

I cant get anything at all today. If this was the plan it would have been announced in advance like they did with the legacy blue checks. Instead people got locked out and then it was “oh by the way”

This is seems reactionary to something very recent.

Reactions: FQDawg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

I can watch the video as an embedded source but if I click on the tweet I get the error message. So if Elon’s goal was to allow people to view Twitter’s content without actually giving the platform traffic, Congratulations?
1688304205411.jpeg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I can watch the video as an embedded source but if I click on the tweet I get the error message. So if Elon’s goal was to allow people to view Twitter’s content without actually giving the platform traffic, Congratulations?
View attachment 361099

Sorry for the problems, but you're obviously a data scraping agent of chaos for the guvment***

Pretty confident I've never typed those words in combination before.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Sorry for the problems, but you're obviously a data scraping agent of chaos for the guvment***

Pretty confident I've never typed those words in combination before.
1688309442682.gif
I do want to make something clear though. It’s his company he can do whatever he wants. I’m not mad at Elon. The people that are furious about access like they are entitled to it as if it were running water probably do need to step away for a little while. Now if this has been the Sunday after 4th and 25 I’d be irate.

Reactions: She Mate Me
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login