Envision the future with NIL and the portal

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
  • 5 star players living in $500K houses in Starkville, driving up to practice in Tesla's and BMW's, flying in and out of GTR to vacations
  • 3 and 4 star players living in $250K houses in Starkville, driving up to practices in used Mercedes, and trying to portal up in Dec/Jan to get more here or elsewhere
  • no stars and 1 and 2 stars just trying to get into the 2 deep at State

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
  • 5 star players living in $500K houses in Starkville, driving up to practice in Tesla's and BMW's, flying in and out of GTR to vacations
  • 3 and 4 star players living in $250K houses in Starkville, driving up to practices in used Mercedes, and trying to portal up in Dec/Jan to get more here or elsewhere
I predict SEC teams will be something like AAA baseball teams - certainly some bonus babies here and there, but by and large it will be similar to what we see now. Where's all this new $ going to come from? If your answer is a redistribution, BUDDY are the ones getting it now going to fight that.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

In reality, we went from corporate sponsorships to collectives just straight paying players to play at a certain school in the blink of an eye.

We're probably not far off from this for select players.

Reactions: BA Dog and dorndawg

BA Dog

Nov 4, 2021
How much are five star players worth if a four star QB is worth 13 mil? I asked the question the other day about, would a Jeffrey Simmons type player ever finish his career here any more? I am starting to question whether or not we might be able to sign that type of player at all…. Surely things can’t keep going like they are going.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I'm having RoboCop flashies. And the Will Smith flick with the robots and schit.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
If it gets to that, I’ll be following high school football and college baseball.
After listening to some baseball writer on Thunder and Lightning the other day, I’ll lose interest quickly in baseball. He made it sound like LSU bought a major league roster in the offseason. Looks like baseball is following suit.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
After listening to some baseball writer on Thunder and Lightning the other day, I’ll lose interest quickly in baseball. He made it sound like LSU bought a major league roster in the offseason. Looks like baseball is following suit.
The deals a few pitchers got there are way way up there

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
If it gets to that, I’ll be following high school football and college baseball.
I sure as heck won't be watching college football. The stadium will be 1/2 full which is not far off these days.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Just burn the whole thing down to the ground and start over. If that won’t fix it then there are a lot of other things to do for fun on Saturdays. We had a good run, but it’s about done.

Reactions: LimaoCabeca

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Starkville needs Hattiesburg's economic development folks...
The GTR already has one of the best economic development teams in the state. What it doesn't have is Hattiesburg's, or even Tupelo's, location. Interstate highways matter. What Joe Max is doing given that is really amazing.

Reactions: grimedawg1

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The GTR already has one of the best economic development teams in the state. What it doesn't have is Hattiesburg's, or even Tupelo's, location. Interstate highways matter. What Joe Max is doing given that is really amazing.
So basically you're saying that Joe Max is the Mississippi State of economic development. **

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I think what you will see in the long term is crowds half the size of what they are, crumbling stadiums, schools dropping D1 sports or sports all together, and NIL money being little to nothing. What has always made college sports different than pro sports is the shared experience of the fans and the athletes (or at least the perception of it for the fans). When you essentially have pro athletes bouncing around here and there looking for the best deal it's going to rapidly lose it's attraction. I've said all along that was the real aim of the hard corps of people who were behind the rules changes.

Reactions: LimaoCabeca

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
So basically you're saying that Joe Max is the Mississippi State of economic development. **
LOL, yep. Fly into GTR airport and look around when you are about to land. Pretty much all of what you see has happened in the last few years. Its good solid industrial stuff that is starting to draw other stuff to it.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

I'm there already. I won't be repurchasing football tickets this year. I'll continue to tailgate and hang out w/ friends in the Junction but my attraction to college football and the athletes themselves is completely gone. If I want to watch players come and go with no effort that I don't know and have never heard of every year, I can pick a new team every week and watch any game on tv.

As for baseball I'm fortunate enough to have a spot in the LFL and have friends that chip in and pay for it with me and we'll continue to cook, eat, drink and socialize. The difference there is I can buy a general admission season ticket for $208 for 33 home games this year, so $6.30 per game. I can get to know players, we stand at the fence before every game and socialize with MSU players as well as visitors and over a 33 game season I do get to know them and still enjoy that

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Starkville needs Hattiesburg's economic development folks...
We actually hired one of Hattiesburg's economic development and tourism folks just a year or so ago.

ETA: But I'll agree that location has not been our friend over the years. I love Starkville but if I could go back in time, I'd have MSU founded in either Meridian or Winona. Being located on an interstate would make a world of difference to the university.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
Maybe we should just go ahead and do away with the requirement that they take and pass classroom stuff. If they want to, fine, but otherwise just do away with the illusion.

jb1020

Jun 7, 2009
Just burn the whole thing down to the ground and start over. If that won’t fix it then there are a lot of other things to do for fun on Saturdays. We had a good run, but it’s about done.
I vote we just go all in on Baseball then. If this had been around 10 years ago there is no way we keep guys like Dak, Cox and Chris Jones on the team for more than a year.

Reactions: Dawg1976

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
If this had been around 10 years ago there is no way we keep guys like Dak, Cox and Chris Jones on the team for more than a year.
This is true and sad. Looks like we're going to have to do the best we can with 3 stars and the occasional 4 star players. If they play more like a 5 wish them well.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It's all about the love of the game and love of our great university, not the love of money.

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
This is true and sad. Looks like we're going to have to do the best we can with 3 stars and the occasional 4 star players. If they play more like a 5 wish them well.
Totally agree with this. If you thought tampering had gone on in the middle to lower teirs of the SEC before now, just hold my beer and watch this.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Nobody will want the Tesla's any more now that they had to drop the price 20% to get somebody interested.......it'll ruin the ILLUSION of wealth

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I vote we just go all in on Baseball then. If this had been around 10 years ago there is no way we keep guys like Dak, Cox and Chris Jones on the team for more than a year.
We can't outbid LSU for baseball.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login