ESPN Article on the CFP Potentially Taking Over the FBS

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's inevitable the major conferences will be governed by the rules they want to be governed by. I think it will ultimately come from an expansion of P5 autonomy within the NCAA, but probably not without the threat to break away from the NCAA to make the changes happen.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
It's inevitable the major conferences will be governed by the rules they want to be governed by. I think it will ultimately come from an expansion of P5 autonomy within the NCAA, but probably not without the threat to break away from the NCAA to make the changes happen.
I hope it's the latter. Seems weird that only this one sport would break away from the NCAA. Needs to be at least a small amount of regulation and consistency.

I also don't know why the NCAA can't sanction the playoff. The Gordon Gee's of the world have less and less influence by the day.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

If I was a G5 AD, i'd want a separate championship trek. More money and exposure. ULALA, LA Tech, USA, MTSU, UAB, etc., competing for a championship will draw a lot of interest (money). If a few teams start to dominate, have a route for those teams to apply for entry into the P5.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
If I was a G5 AD, i'd want a separate championship trek. More money and exposure. ULALA, LA Tech, USA, MTSU, UAB, etc., competing for a championship will draw a lot of interest (money). If a few teams start to dominate, have a route for those teams to apply for entry into the P5.
I don't know anyone who watches FCS or D2/D3/NAIA/etc. playoffs. I'm not sure that's the route anybody truly wants. Sounds good in theory to get a championship, but I think the chance to just get a spot in a 12 or 16 team D1 playoff, and have a 'chance' to beat the best, trumps all that by a wide margin.

I truly believe this playoff is going to solve most problems.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I don't know anyone who watches FCS or D2/D3/NAIA/etc. playoffs. I'm not sure that's the route anybody truly wants. Sounds good in theory to get a championship, but I think the chance to just get a spot in a 12 or 16 team D1 playoff, and have a 'chance' to beat the best, trumps all that by a wide margin.

I understand that, but 99.999999% of these schools will not have a realistic chance of even challenging to make the playoffs. Lower level D 1 teams have a lot more interest than teams from the other divisions. People will watch UAB vs Marshall or ULALA vs USM in a playoff scenario.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I understand that, but 99.999999% of these schools will not have a realistic chance of even challenging to make the playoffs. Lower level D 1 teams have a lot more interest than teams from the other divisions. People will watch UAB vs Marshall or ULALA vs USM in a playoff scenario.
At least one, maybe more of the G5 will absolutely be included in the playoff yearly. They'll likely have to play the top seeds and get destroyed, but still.

I think at the end of the year, in a playoff scenario, USM (or a G5 champion equivalent) would much rather get beat by Alabama with a D1 title on the line, than play or actually beat Marshall and win a 'G5' title.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
At least one, maybe more of the G5 will absolutely be included in the playoff yearly. They'll likely have to play the top seeds and get destroyed, but still.

I think at the end of the year, in a playoff scenario, USM (or a G5 champion equivalent) would much rather get beat by Alabama with a D1 title on the line, than play or actually beat Marshall and win a 'G5' title.

I understand that, I'm just wanting more playoff football! I don't care much about bowls, especially now with player's opting out.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not if Greg Sankey has his way and there are no automatic bids to the new playoff. And you can bet what Greg Sankey wants is going to be a BIG consideration in how the playoff is structured. The PAC-12 and ACC should have taken the auto bid format when it was offered a year ago.

Aug 22, 2012

This won’t happen because people don’t give up power, but what if each P5 conference had a G5 partner and as an example the champion of the Sun Belt was promoted to the SEC and the last place SEC team was relegated to the Sun Belt? I guarantee the USM’s and UAB’s would rather play for a chance at the big time than win a Mickey Mouse G5 championship. At least then the other schools would have a path to be a real member of the P5 and the P5 teams would be highly motivated to stay up. Imagine Boise & Nevada playing to earn a spot in the PAC-12. Imagine the drama of an Egg Bowl where one of us gets sent down if we lose? Scares me just thinking about it but it would make great drama.

Again, never happens but would be interesting.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Not if Greg Sankey has his way and there are no automatic bids to the new playoff. And you can bet what Greg Sankey wants is going to be a BIG consideration in how the playoff is structured. The PAC-12 and ACC should have taken the auto bid format when it was offered a year ago.
Well lets hope that Sankey doesn't get his way then. And that's why I like the NCAA staying in charge, to keep the money grubbers in check. Conference commissioners can't be running this thing in my opinion.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The Big 10 and SEC are going to run this thing no matter what umbrella it's under.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
This won’t happen because people don’t give up power, but what if each P5 conference had a G5 partner and as an example the champion of the Sun Belt was promoted to the SEC and the last place SEC team was relegated to the Sun Belt? I guarantee the USM’s and UAB’s would rather play for a chance at the big time than win a Mickey Mouse G5 championship. At least then the other schools would have a path to be a real member of the P5 and the P5 teams would be highly motivated to stay up. Imagine Boise & Nevada playing to earn a spot in the PAC-12. Imagine the drama of an Egg Bowl where one of us gets sent down if we lose? Scares me just thinking about it but it would make great drama.

Again, never happens but would be interesting.

Down right scary for MSU/OM/ARK/USCe/UK. After Vandy and Missouri are eliminated, it could get tight, unless the new entrant gets put out every year. Be interesting through, but long term scheduling would have to be eliminated and move to NFL yearly type schedule.

Maybe there could be an independent conference with the BYU type programs that lower level teams could move up to?

HotMop

May 8, 2006

I think it would be comparable to the NIT. You care if your school is in it, but otherwise it's just there.

Without the Google machine, who won last year's NIT.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I think it would be comparable to the NIT. You care if your school is in it, but otherwise it's just there.

Yep, the only difference is that the teams that qualify are predetermined (P5 and G5). Whereas the NCAA and NIT are the best 64 of all of D1, then the next best 32 (or whatever it is). But ROUGHLY, it is a good comparison.

No one will care.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Yep, the only difference is that the teams that qualify are predetermined (P5 and G5). Whereas the NCAA and NIT are the best 64 of all of D1, then the next best 32 (or whatever it is). But ROUGHLY, it is a good comparison.

No one will care.

There is a huge difference between the basketball tourney and a college football playoff. In the tourney the number 64 team can beat the number 1 team, lower seeded teams pull upsets on the reg. In football there is no possibility of a G5 team let in the playoff as a G5 automatic qualifier, say MTSU, beating Bama.

I recently heard someone put it like this. In a 3 game series the lower seeded baseball team can beat the higher seeded team a decent amount of the time (say 35% of the time), in basketball the lower seeded team can been beat the higher seeded team maybe 20% of the time, in college football there is no possibility of the number 25 ranked team beating bama two out of three times.

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015
The Big 10 and SEC are going to run this thing no matter what umbrella it's under.

After the P2 is established, the P2 will govern itself and probably only play P2 teams. Based on that theory, the P2 will be under no umbrella. The P2 champion will be the CFB champion. Look for Vanderbilt and Rutgers to play in another conference in the future to support P2 total dominance of CFB?

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

I don't even remember who won the NCAA Tourney. I'm guessing Duke, NC, Kansas or Villanova?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I hope it's the latter. Seems weird that only this one sport would break away from the NCAA. Needs to be at least a small amount of regulation and consistency.

I also don't know why the NCAA can't sanction the playoff. The Gordon Gee's of the world have less and less influence by the day.

FBS football can break away because the NCAA doesn’t much if any FBS money. Outside of rule adoption and enforcement, the NCAA doesn’t have much to do with FBS. Honestly, it would probably save the NCAA money because they wouldn’t have to spend money on investigations and enforcement for a sport where they see no money.

The NCAA can’t suddenly just take over the playoff because the power brokers (Power Conference Commissioners, Presidents, and CFP Executives) wouldn’t allow it. Why would they just cut the NCAA in when they currently have the pie all to themselves?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
After the P2 is established, the P2 will govern itself and probably only play P2 teams. Based on that theory, the P2 will be under no umbrella. The P2 champion will be the CFB champion. Look for Vanderbilt and Rutgers to play in another conference in the future to support P2 total dominance of CFB?
If this scenario plays out (and I don't think it will for a long long time), then perhaps the G5 playoff will have some merit. The P2 will only be like 32 teams, which will mean that the playoff likely wasn't expanded. It will be totally professional, with the G5 remaining 'amateur' college football. I think it could survive in that case, but popularity would definitely go down. I'd most likely watch that league and become a USM fan or something (assuming MSU stays in the P2, which they will because we love dat money).

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
FBS football can break away because the NCAA doesn’t much if any FBS money. Outside of rule adoption and enforcement, the NCAA doesn’t have much to do with FBS. Honestly, it would probably save the NCAA money because they wouldn’t have to spend money on investigations and enforcement for a sport where they see no money.

The NCAA can’t suddenly just take over the playoff because the power brokers (Power Conference Commissioners, Presidents, and CFP Executives) wouldn’t allow it. Why would they just cut the NCAA in when they currently have the pie all to themselves?
Yeah I agree with all that, I just think it's dumb that it's gotten to this point. The power brokers are the ones ruining things. Everybody blames the NCAA but like you said, they've NEVER had any power over FBS so how much blame can they really shoulder?

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

I’d be willing to bet way more people would watch that playoff than would watch various combinations of those teams square off in completely meaningless bowl games.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I was curious about that. The FCS championship only did better than the 8 worst bowls. And the Deion bowl had double the ratings.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login