ESPN Dak Article on his future

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The most viable approach is option 1 - extend Dak 4-5 years (the “Cowboy for life” contract) so they can restructure and reduce the cap hit from the next 2 years. A 4-year extension at $45-$50 million per year probably makes sense. That will certainly be a bargain for Dallas by the time 2025 rolls around, as QB salaries and total salary cap figures continue to escalate. They should also cut Zeke to create additional cap room.

All that would be the common sense approach. But, this is the same franchise that traded a 1st round pick for a 2.5 year rental on a WR that they had to pay out the a$$ before trading him away for nothing, paid a back-up caliber RB $18.2 million this past season, and is currently paying their starting QB $10 million per year more than they would be if they had nailed down a long term deal when they should have. So who knows.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Really wish Dak could get the hell outta there. I'm fully willing to admit that 2022 was not Dak's best season, but it's always interesting to me when I take a step back to look at the numbers, and I quickly see that both his passer rating and QBR are right there in the group that includes Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, and LJ. Guys that the media loves to gush over.

The truth of the matter, as always, is that there are only a small handful of truly elite NFL QBs, and while Dak may not be in that group, the list of guys that follow Dak's name in virtually every major stat category takes nosedive very quickly. The question that no one ever wants to answer is that if we are to assume he is not "the guy", fine... so who are you going to go get? Jimmy G? Tannehill? Try to swing a trade for a guy like LJ? Draft? Good luck with any of those options. Whatever they end up doing, I'd just like Dak to find a new environment

Last edited:

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Really wish Dak could get the hell outta there. I'm fully willing to admit that 2022 was not Dak's best season, but it's always interesting to me when I take a step back to look at the numbers, and I quickly see that both his passer rating and QBR are right there in the group that includes Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, and LJ. Guys that the media loves to gush over.

The truth of the matter, as always, is that there are only a small handful of truly elite NFL QBs, and while Dak may not be in that group, the list of guys that follow Dak's name in virtually every major stat category takes nosedive very quickly. The question that no one ever wants to answer is that if we are to assume is not "they guy", fine... so who are you going to go get? Jimmy G? Tannehill? Try to swing a trade for a guy like LJ? Draft? Good luck with any of those options. Whatever they end up doing, I'd just like Dak to find a new environment
The writers don’t praise Dak like the others because they all said he would suck from the get go. They are trying to make it so.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
The most viable approach is option 1 - extend Dak 4-5 years (the “Cowboy for life” contract) so they can restructure and reduce the cap hit from the next 2 years. A 4-year extension at $45-$50 million per year probably makes sense. That will certainly be a bargain for Dallas by the time 2025 rolls around, as QB salaries and total salary cap figures continue to escalate. They should also cut Zeke to create additional cap room.

All that would be the common sense approach. But, this is the same franchise that traded a 1st round pick for a 2.5 year rental on a WR that they had to pay out the a$$ before trading him away for nothing, paid a back-up caliber RB $18.2 million this past season, and is currently paying their starting QB $10 million per year more than they would be if they had nailed down a long term deal when they should have. So who knows.

Just realized, all the dumb moves happened more than 2 years ago, and the last couple years the Front Office has done really well actually. Letting the right people go, smart FA pickups, great drafts. And it coincides with the arrival of Dan Quinn.

I don't think they extend Dak. They will cut Zeke. Gallup is safe because he's too much of a cap hit in 2023, but if he doesn't have a return to form he will be cut for 2024.

The D basically has everything they need, other than picking up a role player or two via draft and FA. Draft a top WR or two, a mid RB and couple OL, and they're in great shape. Really, adding a top WR is all they've needed. Imagine if this team had Cooper this year instead of Zeke. No reason they can't have the equivalent next year.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Dak strikes me as a guy that is going to work hard and do whatever he can to improve as a player and a person. He also seems like a guy who is going to stay positive no matter what the media or whoever is saying.
And, sadly, he seems like a guy who loves being the Quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.

His chances of winning in Big D are about as good as he's going to get. The Bengals, Bills, Chiefs, and even the Eagles have their QBs. Is there a team with a better roster than Dallas that would try to go after Dak?

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Dak has made a lot of mistakes with forcing some of his passes, but the 'Boys WRs have been beyond awful at creating separation. I try to watch that during a lot of the games to see what routes they run and how they play the coverage. There is no deep threat. Lamb is a great slot receiver, but I've never been convinced that he's a true #1. With injuries and inconsistencies at the position, it has made Dak's life pure hell in the passing game. Moore knows his guys aren't good at creating that separation, hence the Air Raid-esque dump offs. And then you have McCarthy telling Dak to "be aggressive" with his throws. So, Dak should shoulder some blame, but the coach staff and the "GM" are a collective of indecisiveness and utterly pure morons.

Last edited:
Reactions: AFDawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

The truth of the matter, as always, is that there are only a small handful of truly elite NFL QBs, and while Dak may not be in that group, the list of guys that follow Dak's name in virtually every major stat category takes nosedive very quickly. The question that no one ever wants to answer is that if we are to assume is not "they guy", fine... so who are you going to go get? Jimmy G? Tannehill? Try to swing a trade for a guy like LJ? Draft? Good luck with any of those options. Whatever they end up doing, I'd just like Dak to find a new environment

Yeah, from a high level Dallas is one of only 8 or 9 teams that has any sort of intermediate to long term security of guaranteed production at the QB position. And there’s something to be said for that.

The Panthers, Saints, Jets, Raiders, Colts, Texans, Falcons, and Commanders all currently have no 17ing clue who their 2023 starter is. That’s 25% of the league.

Then you have the Bucs, Packers, Rams, Titans, Dolphins, Ravens, and Giants who have an incumbent starter who may or may not be there for 2023 due to potential retirement, expired contract, or injury risk. All those teams must have a back-up plan in place, if not a full replacement already lined up.

Then you have other special cases. Minnesota has an aging Kirk Cousins who is due a ton of money. Arizona has Murray locked up, but a new coach coming in who may or may not be a fit with him, and he’s also going to miss probably the first month or two of 2023 at a minimum due to injury. Seattle got one good year from a historically bad QB….is that a fluke or something they can truly build around? New England and Pittsburgh have young 1st round picks who both may or may not be bad to average QB’s. Even San Francisco has to decide what to do with Purdy and Lance.

Overall, you have to pay for certainty in life if you want it and have the opportunity to do so. Dallas has the opportunity. I also kind of hope they roll the dice because I’d love to see Dak somewhere else where he can be in a better spot to win big, but I don’t think they will.

Reactions: GomJabbar

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don't think they extend Dak. They will cut Zeke. Gallup is safe because he's too much of a cap hit in 2023, but if he doesn't have a return to form he will be cut for 2024.

The D basically has everything they need, other than picking up a role player or two via draft and FA. Draft a top WR or two, a mid RB and couple OL, and they're in great shape. Really, adding a top WR is all they've needed. Imagine if this team had Cooper this year instead of Zeke. No reason they can't have the equivalent next year.

These two paragraphs don’t really jive. Yes, the D has everything they need. But they won’t hang on to Diggs, Vander Esch, and Parsons if they don’t clear a lot more cap room than just Zeke’s $12 million for next year. Dak’s combined $100 million hit over these next two seasons has to be addressed or they are going to be starting from scratch on D all over again. Thats really where the extension helps them. Cutting Tyron Smith may help long term, but he’s still a big dead cap hit too in the short term.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Dak strikes me as a guy that is going to work hard and do whatever he can to improve as a player and a person. He also seems like a guy who is going to stay positive no matter what the media or whoever is saying.
And, sadly, he seems like a guy who loves being the Quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.

His chances of winning in Big D are about as good as he's going to get. The Bengals, Bills, Chiefs, and even the Eagles have their QBs. Is there a team with a better roster than Dallas that would try to go after Dak?
He knows he is not the most talented guy out there. He never toots his own horn and works his *** off. He gets in trouble for trying to make up for the absolute lack of skill and talent around him this season, and to make matters worse; he's the media's favorite whipping boy simply because he leads Jerry Jones' team. If he played for some team with more than one short WR and one TE finally growing up, Stephen Racist would love him. Other teams have the same issue at Slot/WR/TE. You would think "America's Team" would have more targets for a QB that runs so much less in their current Offense.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
These two paragraphs don’t really jive. Yes, the D has everything they need. But they won’t hang on to Diggs, Vander Esch, and Parsons if they don’t clear a lot more cap room than just Zeke’s $12 million for next year. Dak’s combined $100 million hit over these next two seasons has to be addressed or they are going to be starting from scratch on D all over again. Thats really where the extension helps them. Cutting Tyron Smith may help long term, but he’s still a big dead cap hit too in the short term.
That's more of a problem after 2023 than in 2023.

I don't think they owe a raise to Parsons or Diggs yet. Could be wrong. DQ brought in a nice mix of cheap talent, they should be good.

VanderEsch will be a FA. They will try to work something out, pending how they feel about need at LB after the draft and what money they have left.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
That's more of a problem after 2023 than in 2023.

I don't think they owe a raise to Parsons or Diggs yet. Could be wrong. DQ brought in a nice mix of cheap talent, they should be good.

VanderEsch will be a FA. They will try to work something out, pending how they feel about need at LB after the draft and what money they have left.

There are problems in 2023 but bigger problems after if they don’t extend Dak. 2024 is a $51 million cap hit. And if they don’t get a deal done this off season, they are going to again have to pay the future market rate and lose any potential for a team friendly deal.

That would be the same mistake they made last time, waiting on other QB’s to reset the market before they lock up their guy. Burrow, Herbert, and Lamar Jackson all have megadeals on the way in the next year or so. They are going to totally screw themselves (again) if they wait on the extension.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
There are problems in 2023 but bigger problems after if they don’t extend Dak. 2024 is a $51 million cap hit. And if they don’t get a deal done this off season, they are going to again have to pay the future market rate and lose any potential for a team friendly deal.

That would be the same mistake they made last time, waiting on other QB’s to reset the market before they lock up their guy. Burrow, Herbert, and Lamar Jackson all have megadeals on the way in the next year or so. They are going to totally screw themselves (again) if they wait on the extension.
Ok, you've convinced me of the need. The problem is if they want a "lifetime" contract for Dak. I don't think they do right now. Can they extend only a year or two and still significantly help with the cap?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Ok, you've convinced me of the need. The problem is if they want a "lifetime" contract for Dak. I don't think they do right now. Can they extend only a year or two and still significantly help with the cap?

In theory, the longer they extend, the more they can level the 2023/2024 cap hit from the current deal. If they did 2 year extension at current rate (lets call it $45 million / year), they could in theory drop the cap hit to like $35 million for each year in 23/24, but then you’re looking at $60 million per year hit in 25/26. Would be almost pointless. And the more that the 23/24 cap numbers go down, the more the 25/26 years come up.

The name of the game in these deals with QB’s is you front load the real money and back load the cap hit. Best of both worlds. QB gets paid, organization gets flexibility to continue renegotiating the deal so that they never end up holding the bag on a huge cap hit. The longer the deal, the more flexibility the front office has. And as a QB nears the end of his career, that’s when you try to lock up the “team friendly” deal that ends the cycle.

Last edited:

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
In theory, the longer they extend, the more they can level the 2023/2024 cap hit from the current deal. If they did 2 year extension at current rate (lets call it $45 million / year), they could in theory drop the cap hit to like $35 million for each year in 23/24, but then you’re looking at $60 million per year hit in 25/26. Would be almost pointless. And the more that the 23/24 cap numbers go down, the more the 25/26 years come up.

The name of the game in these deals with QB’s is you front load the real money and back load the cap hit. Best of both worlds. QB gets paid, organization gets flexibility to continue renegotiating the deal so that they never end up holding the bag on a huge cap hit. The longer the deal, the more flexibility the front office has. And as a QB nears the end of his career, that’s when you try to lock up the “team friendly” deal that ends the cycle.
Ok, so $50M cap hit for Dak, about $30M more than this year. And only saving $5M by cutting Zeke. Yeesh, they screwed. If I were Jerruh, I'd try to lock up Dak for what he's making now. Play up that he's playing below where he was before, and that the team needs the cap space. That's about the only deal that's worth it. If he won't bite, you can clear up a little space by pushing money to 25/26 that are still void years on his contract. Probably worth it as they have a window with Dak and Parsons.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Ok, so $50M cap hit for Dak, about $30M more than this year. And only saving $5M by cutting Zeke. Yeesh, they screwed. If I were Jerruh, I'd try to lock up Dak for what he's making now. Play up that he's playing below where he was before, and that the team needs the cap space. That's about the only deal that's worth it. If he won't bite, you can clear up a little space by pushing money to 25/26 that are still void years on his contract. Probably worth it as they have a window with Dak and Parsons.

They save $10.9 million against the cap if they cut Zeke after June 1st. That’s what I expect will happen. Zeke actually came out recently and said he was open to a reduced deal if it kept him in Dallas, but most following the situation don’t expect it to happen. Honestly, even without considering the contract, just keeping him on the roster is preventing a better player from the draft or free agency from coming in….especially since he doesn’t play special teams.

I also expect they will franchise tag Pollard or Vander Esch. Probably Pollard, because he’ll already be 26 before the 2023 season kicks off and coming off a major injury. I don’t think any sort of a long term deal makes sense for him at this time. Pay him for a year and see if he can be the man for a full season. Tag him again or sign him to a moderate 2 year deal in 2024 if it works out. Also probably need to use a mid-round 2023 pick on a RB who can relieve him and maybe take over in a few years.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login