ESPN+ ranks College Football Head Coaches.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Lane, the Pirate, and the Freezus all make this list.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...all-coaches-national-contenders-overachievers

Overachievers.

1. Mike Leach, Mississippi State

FBS résumé: 84-43 Texas Tech (10 years), 55-47 Washington State (eight seasons), 11-13 Mississippi State (two seasons), 150-103 overall (20 seasons)
Conference titles: 0 | National titles: 0
Leach might be best known for his wide range of interests and quirky personality, but he's also among the best overachievers of his coaching generation. He has spent his career at Power 5 have-nots and far-flungs -- Texas Tech, Washington State and now Mississippi State -- and has still generated success. His 84-43 run at Texas Tech, which included zero losing seasons and five AP Top 25 finishes in his final six years, is the most consistently successful stretch in team history. He then went on to Washington State, going 37-15 from 2015 to 2018 with a No. 10 finish in 2018. Leach beat defending national champion LSU in his Mississippi State debut, and will keep trying to elevate the Bulldogs in the punishing SEC West.

ETA - I'm sorry this is an ESPN+ article. I didn't realize it until I already posted. I will say ESPN+ is worth the money.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
To me ESPN+ was worth it to me for you to pay for this article but otherwise, I'm Noping out, It's like the early years of regular ESPN when they had sailboat racing, Alpine Skiing and high school volleyball just to fill the void except now it's a bunch of soccer and lower level colleges sports. I looked into it but just not enough quality programming

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login