Ethan Small called up to Milwaukee….

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Has he added velocity since state? I'm always interested to see how guys that throw low 90s do.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Not that I can tell…

Has he added velocity since state? I'm always interested to see how guys that throw low 90s do.

Hard to argue with that ERA, though. Lots of trolling and DGAF in that Twitter thread…. I think he may have some success.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004

Lefties have better success with lower velocity. At least they used to just because you didn’t face them every day.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Loved watching that dude pitch. He and Sims may have very different styles, but they’re cut from the same cloth when it comes to intensity

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Woof…. I think if Small stays with the majors it will be as a middle reliever that will get you thru the lineup one time.

Last edited:

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Lefties have better success with lower velocity. At least they used to just because you didn’t face them every day.

He's doing like brave pitchers that don't have good velocity. They get up to mlb, and now the hitters won't chase the offspeed out of the zone... then the walks start piling up. If you gonna make it without great velocity today, you have to have pinpoint accuracy and plus, plus secondary

Last edited:

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
1.78 ERA and over one strike out per inning. Yeah...he needs more velocity.

6.74 era
3.64 whip
13.5 bb9
13.5 k9 is good though

Are you really trying to sell this line as a good start?

2.2 ip 4 h 2 er 4 bb 4 kk

ETA... I didn't realize his abysmal bb9 at AAA. 4.93 at AAA is gonna make it almost impossible for him to succeed at the mlb level. It isn't flukish either... it was 4.57 in AA, 5.40 in AAA last year, and 4.93 this year at AAA.

Last edited:

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
6.74 era
3.64 whip
13.5 bb9
13.5 k9 is good though

Are you really using 2 innings to project a season? Guess Michael Harris is gonna be a career .167 hitter then. Hell he had two games. That's an eternity compared to what you projected Small off of. Ethan touched 94 today and looked good thru two.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Are you really using 2 innings to project a season? Guess Michael Harris is gonna be a career .167 hitter then. Hell he had two games. That's an eternity compared to what you projected Small off of. Ethan touched 94 today and looked good thru two.

The fact is Michael Harris (like all minor league guys) is much more likely to fail than succeed.

After looking at small's stats, I'd be much more concerned about his walk rate than his velocity. I've saw a bunch of plus arms fail for the braves bc they can't throw strikes. Mlb hitters make you throw strikes, and if you can't, you wont make it. Look at my edit on post you quoted - that bb rate is horrible in the upper minors

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Catcher did him zero favors today constantly over exaggerating his glove placement up in the zone. Again I watched his start. He looked good thru 2. He might need to be a reliever for awhile though. He was gassed when they pulled him.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Catcher did him zero favors today constantly over exaggerating his glove placement up in the zone. Again I watched his start. He looked good thru 2. He might need to be a reliever for awhile though. He was gassed when they pulled him.

You could be right. He has 17 AAA career starts with 73.1 IP, so ~ 4.1 ip per start.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

Guessing he didn't sleep much. Called up and then next day is pitching after traveling there.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
6.74 era
3.64 whip
13.5 bb9
13.5 k9 is good though

ETA... I didn't realize his abysmal bb9 at AAA. 4.93 at AAA is gonna make it almost impossible for him to succeed at the mlb level. It isn't flukish either... it was 4.57 in AA, 5.40 in AAA last year, and 4.93 this year at AAA.

I'm saying a career 1.78 is good success. Those are the numbers quoted in the story. Are you saying it's garbage ?

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
He's the Brewers #1 pitching prospect

Kyle muller is the braves top pitching prospect, and he's trash. Brewers have 1 top 100 prospect, and their farm system is #25. Small's bb rate makes him a bad prospect... he has fix it

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
What are you talking about? He’s only had one full year of minor league ball, still 25 yo. No one gets promoted that aggressively unless the team is high on them. Give him a couple years.

Here is BA write up, #9 Brewers prospect:
BA Grade:[FONT=&quot] 45/High[/FONT]

Track Record:[FONT=&quot] Small had Tommy John surgery at Mississippi State but returned to rank second in the Southeastern Conference in ERA and first in strikeouts in 2019 as a redshirt junior. The Brewers drafted him 28th overall and signed him for $1.8 million. Small made his full-season debut in 2021 and raced to Triple-A while posting a 1.98 ERA across 18 starts. He missed most of July and August with a strained tendon in his left middle finger, but made up the lost innings in winter ball pitching for Escogido in the Dominican League.[/FONT]

Scouting Report:[FONT=&quot] Small won’ t overpower anyone, but he keeps hitters off balance. His high-spin fastball sits at 89-93 mph and his best pitch is his plus changeup, which he disguises to look like a fastball out of his hand before it parachutes underneath bats. Small is a competitive pitcher who leans heavily on his changeup and doesn’ t use his breaking stuff much, with a curveball and slider that are both fringe-average at times. Small will vary his leg lifts and the tempo of his delivery to try to disrupt the hitter’ s timing. Small was known for his polish and strike-throwing at Mississippi State, but his control regressed in 2021, with an overly-high 13% walk rate.[/FONT]

The Future:[FONT=&quot] Small has a chance to develop into a solid back-end starter if he can find a breaking ball and rediscover his previous control. He should make his major league debut in 2021, possibly as a reliever given the Brewers’ current rotation.[/FONT]

Scouting Grades:[FONT=&quot] Fastball: 50. Curveball: 45. Slider: 45. Changeup: 60. Control: 50.[/FONT]

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
The fact is Michael Harris (like all minor league guys) is much more likely to fail than succeed.

After looking at small's stats, I'd be much more concerned about his walk rate than his velocity. I've saw a bunch of plus arms fail for the braves bc they can't throw strikes. Mlb hitters make you throw strikes, and if you can't, you wont make it. Look at my edit on post you quoted - that bb rate is horrible in the upper minors

Except both Small and Harris have already succeeded, haven’t they? 35% of first rounders never play professional baseball, and that percentage goes up with every round after that. And Harris was a 3rd rounder, Small was a late first round below-slot signee (more or less a fair market 2nd rounder). Small and Harris both have not only already made it, but done so very early in their development. Might they still bounce back and forth a bit before settling into their optimal roles? Sure.

With Small, I agree he’s got to work on command, and I’m sure the Brewers do too. I’d also say those issues go all the way back to MSU. His BB/9 in 2018 and 2019 was about 2.8 combined over 200+ innings. That’s considered average at the MLB level, but he did that against college hitters that were chasing all the off-speed stuff, so it’s likely not a new thing. But that’s what the minors are for, an avenue for prospects to work on their weaknesses. In the Brewers’ case, they know they aren’t finding another rotation guy at this phase unless they trade for one, so they promoted a bullpen guy temporarily, but also brought up Small for a spot start to keep the new rotation intact. Happens all the time for a lot of AAA guys who aren’t quite ready yet.

Last edited:

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Except both Small and Harris have already succeeded, haven’t they? 35% of first rounders never play professional baseball, and that percentage goes up with every round after that. And Harris was a 3rd rounder, Small was a late first round below-slot signee (more or less a fair market 2nd rounder). Small and Harris both have not only already made it, but done so very early in their development. Might they still bounce back and forth a bit before settling into their optimal roles? Sure.

With Small, I agree he’s got to work on command, and I’m sure the Brewers do too. I’d also say those issues go all the way back to MSU. His BB/9 in 2018 and 2019 was about 2.8 combined over 200+ innings. That’s considered average at the MLB level, but he did that against college hitters that were chasing all the off-speed stuff, so it’s likely not a new thing. But that’s what the minors are for, an avenue for prospects to work on their weaknesses. In the Brewers’ case, they know they aren’t finding another rotation guy at this phase unless they trade for one, so they promoted a bullpen guy temporarily, but also brought up Small for a spot start to keep the new rotation intact. Happens all the time for a lot of AAA guys who aren’t quite ready yet.

Sure they've been successful. I'm talking about the ultra rare guys that actually stick. Pretty sure both now have mlb health insurance for life, so that's no small matter.

Harris is flawed too. He's hit ground balls in his milb career at 50% of the time. That's gonna make it really hard for him to stick imo. Perhaps with the dead ball and shifts likely to get the axe, that batting profile will be more successful

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Sure they've been successful. I'm talking about the ultra rare guys that actually stick. Pretty sure both now have mlb health insurance for life, so that's no small matter.

Harris is flawed too. He's hit ground balls in his milb career at 50% of the time. That's gonna make it really hard for him to stick imo. Perhaps with the dead ball and shifts likely to get the axe, that batting profile will be more successful

How close are they to getting rid of the shift? Seems like it would be somewhat difficult to enforce based on the existing framework of the rules.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
New rule starting next year is two infielders on either side of 2nd base.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
He will be back in the majors.

https://www.mlb.com/news/ethan-small-makes-big-league-debut-against-cubs

Small showed off both pitches in his big league debut during a scoreless first inning, fanning Willson Contreras on a 92 mph four-seam fastball and Patrick Wisdom on one of those nasty changeups. Through two innings, Small had four strikeouts, no walks and no runs allowed on 30 pitches. He described it as “all I could ask for.”

Then came the third, when Jace Peterson homered for a 1-0 Brewers lead that quickly got away from Small. He walked four batters in the inning, including three after two outs. Nico Hoerner hit a high fastball with the bases loaded for a two-run single and a 2-1 Cubs lead. Small walked the next batter, Clint Frazier, with pitch No. 39 in the inning. Brewers manager Craig Counsell was forced to make a pitching change.

“It’s kind of tough,” Small said, “because I feel like I was on cruise control through those first two, and then I got out there for the third and made a couple of bad pitches. And it just kind of snowballed and I ended up losing my breath a little bit and I could never get it back. It turned into one of those ugly, long innings that I don’t ever want to have.”

Still, it was a memorable day. Small left 21 tickets for friends and family on hand for his debut.

“It still doesn’t seem real,” he said. “It’s something I’ve dreamed about since I was a little kid. Tough result at the end of the day, but I’m happy we got to experience it all together.”

Said Counsell: “Look, we saw his stuff work in the strike zone, no doubt about it. It’s just the next step of pitching. Your misses have to be better. Your full-count pitches have to be a little better. Your stuff doesn’t have to be better, but your misses have to be better.”

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login