Whisky weekend

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
You guys are too eclectic with your bourbons/whiskeys.

I am good with any of the following standards:

Jim Beam Black
Gentleman Jack
Makers Mark
Four Roses

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
In a blind taste test, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and your favorite. It's all marketing.
17 off rookie/puss*

Jim Beam Black
Gentleman Jack
Makers Mark
Four Roses
I'm a Makers fan and some Four Roses. Jack Daniels is charcoal water. Beam is the basic like Elijah.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
17 off rookie/puss*

I'm a Makers fan and some Four Roses. Jack Daniels is charcoal water. Beam is the basic like Elijah.
Just for funsies are you going to be in the junction for any game this year? If so, let's do a blind taste test.

My former neighbor (RIP) considered himself a bourbon connoisseur and even he understood you can't tell most apart. He organized a blind taste test during a neighborhood party for the (6 or 7) men who had a favorite brand. Guess what? Picking their favorite out of four they were less than 50% accurate.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Just for funsies are you going to be in the junction for any game this year? If so, let's do a blind taste test.

My former neighbor (RIP) considered himself a bourbon connoisseur and even he understood you can't tell most apart. He organized a blind taste test during a neighborhood party for the (6 or 7) men who had a favorite brand. Guess what? Picking their favorite out of four they were less than 50% accurate.
On a related note, I’ve done the same for friends but with light lager beers usually Miller, bud, coors light. I’ve done it dozens of times. So far 0% have been able to pick their brand much less tell the difference.

Reactions: dawgoneyall

was21

May 29, 2007

Jim Beam Black
Gentleman Jack
Makers Mark
Four Roses
...yep...and add Evan Williams Black for bourbon and for a whiskey Johnny Walker Red. I gave up hard liquor long time ago but still pick a bottle up just to look at it

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

Well they probably suck.

Now if you line up 4 similar bourbons that use a similar mash bill(let's say 4 versions of Maker's) it could get tough.

But if you don't think you can line up a Blanton's, Weller, Stagg Jr, and Sazerac (all from Buffalo Trace) and a dozen or more of us in this board can't bat .1000 on picking out which is which, you would lose a lot of money. I know @Raiderdawg, myself, @NTDawg and a few others will take that bet.

That said if you're point is expensive doesn't mean better, I concur. I have done a personal blind tasting between Eagle Rare 10 year, Buffalo Trace, Benchmark, and Benchmark bonded. They are all the same juice going in the barrel and are just aged different times, in different rickhouses, and are cut with more or less water.

Results

Benchmark Bonded #1 - $17.95
Eagle Rare 10 year #2 - $35.95
Buffalo Trace #3 - $25.95
Haitian refugee porta potty water #4
Benchmark a distant #5 - $14.95

Turns out I prefer the higher proof of the bonded even at only 4 years of age vs a lower proof 6-8 year old BT or even 10 year old ER. The regular benchmark is 80 proof and approximately 18 months old. It tastes like fermented Cheerios. I prolly drink 5-1 Benchmark Bonded over everything else these days.

All that said, best sip I have ever had was a neat glass of King of Kentucky that will sell for $2k plus by the bottle usually.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018

Jim Beam Black
Gentleman Jack
Makers Mark
Four Roses
Agree, Angel’s envy is great, but calling it cheap seems like a cover for some other deficiency

I’ll drink and enjoy all of the ones you listed and they all do the same thing.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
On a related note, I’ve done the same for friends but with light lager beers usually Miller, bud, coors light. I’ve done it dozens of times. So far 0% have been able to pick their brand much less tell the difference.
We did that in the Junction several years ago, most folks couldn't pick "their" beer out of four.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I can't tell those from water.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012

Jim Beam Black
Gentleman Jack
Makers Mark
Four Roses
Wrong. I cant tell everything but I would never ever pick Gentlemen Jack in a blind, trash. I do love JD SiB barrel proof, JD SiB BP rye and the JD 10 and 12 year old but they are in a different class from their bottom shelf stuff. When you say Makers and Four Roses, I assume you are talking about there bottom self options. They are fine but you would be wrong. I recently bought a Maker Heart Release and it is good but it is also off profile for Makers. Four Roses has a wide variety of products from “yellow label” to their Limited Editions. I’ve never been lucky enough to get a LE but I have several single barrel barrel proof bottles and they are some of my favorites. I love their small batch select. It is one the best shelf available bourbons on the market.

This week I was lucky and found a Sagamore 9 year and a Remus Repeal VIII. I’ve have already cracked open the Sagamore and it is very good.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Swill is swill.

Oct 7, 2022
Don’t do bourbon. But. Four Roses is as smooth as I’ve ever had. Boo me all you want. Closest thing to a bourbon being like a single malt I’ve found.

Balvine man myself(among many others ). Partial to 17 Doublewood and 21 Portwood

eta portwood

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I fully agree that most lite beers taste the same, as do most ipas, etc.
I'm sure I can tell a nice Angel's envy (not cheap) from evan Williams. But yeah you may get me on Elijah craig vs makers vs 4roses. I'd still try.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
The wife was in Lexington this week for work, and went to the Buffalo trace distillery and got me a bottle of E.H. Taylor small batch. Looking forward to trying it soon. Was hoping for their single barrel, but apparently they do their special releases different each day of the week, you don't know what it's going to be, can only buy 1 bottle, and can't buy again for 30 days.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login