Everyone keeps saying this was a mistake hire...

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
That's just 17ing idiotic. The supposed justification for hiring him was to keep from losing a bunch of players from a team ready to win now. If you talk to Arnett and he doesn't have a plan for the offense that doesn't require a rebuild, you don't hire him. If you aren't trying to maximize your chances to win this year, you don't have to rush to hire Arnett. It was a stupid 17ing decision made unforgiveable by the fact that we just made this stupid decision with the 2018 season. You don't piss away good seasons because of what you think you can accomplish 3 or 4 years down the road.
Your argument is that this could be good long term but we should be myopic? Not putting words in your mouth, but that is what I think I read.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Your argument is that this could be good long term but we should be myopic? Not putting words in your mouth, but that is what I think I read.
That's not what he said. He's ridiculing the thought of doing that.

Same thing we did with the JoMo hire after Mullen, albeit we didn't promote from within. Our own AD 17'ed that one up.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
That's not what he said. He's ridiculing the thought of doing that.

Same thing we did with the JoMo hire after Mullen, albeit we didn't promote from within. Our own AD 17'ed that one up.
good callout. I read "are" and he wrote "aren't". I agree with the OP. reading is fundamental...

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I have read that post several times and I still can't understand how you could you get that out of my post?

You even highlighted the "if" statement that makes it clear it's one or the other. If you are going to rush a hire because you are worried about players leaving this year, then you need to focus on on winning this year. The way to do that was to try and maintain some continuity with the senior heavy roster.

If you are going to make a big change on offense anyway (and especially if you don't have the QB to run the new offense you want to run), you don't need to rush a hire. You are already willing to sacrifice this year because you want to transition to a different offense. Even if you just look at the defensive players, it doesn't make sense. As good as our defense was last year, it was still pretty clear that we weren't going to have a 2018 type defense that could carry a terrible offense.

There are good arguments for focusing on this year and good arguments on focusing on just making the best hire possible knowing it might not be the best thing for this year. I lean towards focusing on the short term just because of how much of a crap shoot coaching hires are, and how short their tenure is and how quickly coaches can turn over rosters through the portal. I'm not talking about going baylor or anything, but just putting emphasis on the next year or two and less emphasis on what you think is going to happen three years down the road, because you can't predicct that anyway.

But if you want to focus on the long term, you should focus on the long term. Don't let short term considerations like the ability to win this year dictate the most important hire you can make as an SEC athletic department and then say, on second thought, let's change the offense so we're in a better position down the road. We were committed to focusing on this year when we cut our hiring process short. That's fine, but nothing happened between then and the hiring of Barbay would justify abandoning that approach so quickly.

ETA: well ****. that entire post would have been unnecessary if I had seen the next two posts before typing it.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I have read that post several times and I still can't understand how you could you get that out of my post?

You even highlighted the "if" statement that makes it clear it's one or the other. If you are going to rush a hire because you are worried about players leaving this year, then you need to focus on on winning this year. The way to do that was to try and maintain some continuity with the senior heavy roster.

If you are going to make a big change on offense anyway (and especially if you don't have the QB to run the new offense you want to run), you don't need to rush a hire. You are already willing to sacrifice this year because you want to transition to a different offense. Even if you just look at the defensive players, it doesn't make sense. As good as our defense was last year, it was still pretty clear that we weren't going to have a 2018 type defense that could carry a terrible offense.

There are good arguments for focusing on this year and good arguments on focusing on just making the best hire possible knowing it might not be the best thing for this year. I lean towards focusing on the short term just because of how much of a crap shoot coaching hires are, and how short their tenure is and how quickly coaches can turn over rosters through the portal. I'm not talking about going baylor or anything, but just putting emphasis on the next year or two and less emphasis on what you think is going to happen three years down the road, because you can't predicct that anyway.

But if you want to focus on the long term, you should focus on the long term. Don't let short term considerations like the ability to win this year dictate the most important hire you can make as an SEC athletic department and then say, on second thought, let's change the offense so we're in a better position down the road. We were committed to focusing on this year when we cut our hiring process short. That's fine, but nothing happened between then and the hiring of Barbay would justify abandoning that approach so quickly.

ETA: well ****. that entire post would have been unnecessary if I had seen the next two posts before typing it.
Root cause: I can't read.

Worst part about being where we are right now is that it feels like it will be a long time before our admin will figure out what "right" is, make necessary changes (I have no idea what this is) and move forward positively. Unless this coaching staff, and team, are way better than they've shown so far, it's a long road ahead. I'm about as low as I've been on the football program since Croom/post kick rocks conference Moorehead.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Root cause: I can't read.

Worst part about being where we are right now is that it feels like it will be a long time before our admin will figure out what "right" is, make necessary changes (I have no idea what this is) and move forward positively. Unless this coaching staff, and team, are way better than they've shown so far, it's a long road ahead. I'm about as low as I've been on the football program since Croom/post kick rocks conference Moorehead.
Basketball. And hope baseball resurrects.

It's really hard for me to support this football team right now, from all the BS the players pulled in NIL and fake transferring, to the dumbassedry of SOME of the staff.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login