Exercise equipment

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Sigh.....
I've got to lose weight and get n better shape. Illness a couple years ago has really set me back with 40 LBs of extra weight. Mostly belly fat. Sit ups/crunches etc. are ok but I need more. What do you more fit members use? A gym isn't an option unless I drive 20 miles from BFE S. MS.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Invest in a really nice

Pencil or pen. Write down everything you eat and drink and the amount of calories in each thing. Add them up each day. Keep your total under 1800, you will lose weight fast. Exercise isn’t necessary, but mix in some resistance training (weight lifting) and it will accelerate your weight loss.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Sigh.....
I've got to lose weight and get n better shape. Illness a couple years ago has really set me back with 40 LBs of extra weight. Mostly belly fat. Sit ups/crunches etc. are ok but I need more. What do you more fit members use? A gym isn't an option unless I drive 20 miles from BFE S. MS.

If you need to lose 40 lbs and you have been sedentary, you can probably get a lot of mileage out of youtube workouts to start with. Find some short ones that are aimed at women and use 3 and 5 lb dumbells. They will be some combination of cardio, yoga, and very light resistance. That's not going to work for long, but you can move from the ten to twenty and then thirty minute workouts, and it will probably be a good way to ease into it. And if you need to lose 40 lbs, most of your work initially is going to be through diet changes anyway.

If you want to make an investment, shockingly, the few people I know that have Pelotons like it and use it for exercise rather than a strand for draping clothes. Not sure if that's random luck out of the people I know or if it really does keep people engaged more than other home exercise equipment.

Feb 15, 2007
Going to echo previous posts… To start, really watch what you eat (duh, but sensible diet is probably the best thing you can do) and try YouTube videos or fitness apps. The good apps have a good variety and you can figure out what you like or don’t like.

DogNSuds

Aug 25, 2014
Caloric deficit. Watch intake, but don’t do something unsustainable. Write down or log intake and estimated caloric burn. Plenty of apps for that.

Rest. Very important.

Do not leave out exercise, both cardio and strength. Move. Do something. Park at the end of the parking lot. Use stairs. Walk dog. Increase pace as able.

Strength train. As you age, you naturally loose muscle tissue. By strength training and slowing this loss or adding more muscle tissue, you continue to burn more calories doing everything you do; from exercising to sitting at your desk.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Here's my list:

1) If you live in the country, I assume you have some room to run/walk around on the roads? One hour of walking/running per day if so.
2) Get you a power tower, start doing dips and pullups on it, and some leg raises for abs. Keep doing situps/crunches and add pushups.
3) Diet - only you know what works for you, and what you can stick to. I do a fruit smoothie for breakfast (because I hate fruit and I hate breakfast, so may as well suffer and get some nutrients in), a sandwich or something for lunch, and a big salad for dinner. The point is not for you to do what I do, it's to illustrate that you have to learn what works for you. I personally do not count calories, I do not 17 with apps, etc., I'd rather suck-start a shotgun. It's up to you to figure that out.

OR.....go to DDPyoga.com, and get that workout. He's got diet info in there for you. I generally alternate these every year or so, whenever they get boring. I was about to start doing the yoga again but I've hurt my back, so it's on hold.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Sigh.....

I simply cut out sugary drinks (and beer) and ate smaller portions and then for exercise, I mostly walk and try to stay busy. I recommend some resistance training to build/maintain your muscle mass . I did some of that as well. I never bought anything though, just pushups, walking and I picked up a hobby of working on my fish cabin turning it into more of a lake house.

Stay busy and watch your diet. Good luck

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
A bench and Bowflex Selectech 552's will do whatever you need to get/stay in shape. If you want to be a complete meathead, you can pick your head up and get more weight in few years once you are waving those 52 pounders around like pom poms.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Also, you can't out exercise a bad diet. Get Fitbit with the app and track meals, or just get the MyFitnessPal app and track meals if you don't want a fitbit. It helps you make better daily decisions about calories, macros, sodium, etc.

ETA: be patient. it took be about 9 months of every other day weight/cardio 5-6 days a week to lose a comparable amount.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
You don't need any

Your body will revolt when you try this but you don't need any equipment. Do as much of this as you can without feeling light headed, and stick with it while eating sensibly. The pounds will melt off. Stay away from sugar.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jpizoUy4K9s

Last edited:

Tracer Bullet

Jul 30, 2018
Your diet is the biggest component. Get that under control (calorie deficit) and the rest will fall in place.

I went through a similar journey a couple of years ago, and may an effort to go to unprocessed foods as much as possible. I lost 40 lbs, a few days do except code, and felt great. It took me about a month to figure out what I liked and get traction. Your body will adapt and it gets easier to resist process items. Lost 45 over a year, slacked up when I started traveling again and fell into some old habits. But 20 back on but have started back on the journey again and hope to lose another 40, and do better about not slipping in the future. Just find what works for you and go with it. Don’t “diet”, try to find something that becomes what your actual diet forever.

Edited to add sleep. I can tell I lose more when I am getting a good nights sleep. I am sure there are a number of reasons for this, but experts seem to be saying it matters more than we realized.

Last edited:

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
As stated here, losing weight is a simple equation of burning more calories than you take in. If you want the process to go faster you find ways to burn even more calories than you normally would and couple that with ingesting even less calories.

Want to start immediately and with no equipment? If you have Amazon Prime look up one of the chicks that do beginner Step aerobics like Jenny Ford. Use anything 3-4 inches tall as your step bench. Commit to 20 minutes twice a day.. morning/night. Do that and start making better diet choices first before spending a bunch of money of equipment.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Your body naturally burns fat. You can lose weight sitting on your *** watching Andy Griffin if you take in less than what your body burns. I am not an expert. I have learned a lot by trial and error. I am 57 years old. I am 6'2", 230 pound and have a less than 36 inch waist. I lift weights six days a week. I get up around 4:00 A.M and go the gym except on Saturday I sleep until 7:00 then go. I do have a half rack with Olympic weights in my garage. I can work chest and legs. I also have curl bar and a cable machine. I can pretty much do what I need there. During the covid lockdown I stayed in shape. However I go to the gym. I enjoy it. For the house I spent around 1100.00 on my home gym and use it when I have too. I bought the half rack at Dicks. The weight and cable machine I bought on line. The cable machine will allow you to work back and triceps. You can get the same Olympic standard American weight on line through Wal Mart on line or Amazon. Same stuff you use at the gym. The cable machine came from another company. No matter how hard you work out, if you don't burn more than you take in you will not lose weight. Working out allows you to intake more. I have a play list of songs for each day of the week. A average song is about 3 minutes. I do two sets per song. I work my *** off. Basically I am doing cardio while lifting weight. I don't talk or surf the social media while working out. I am not there to socialize. I am there to work out. One thing I would say, forget books, magazines and you tube. Find what works for you to hell what any body says.

I am editing this to say you don't have to do sit ups to lose your belly. Sit up will not take the fat away. It will define the muscle under the fat. Your body will burn the fat on your belly if you burn more than you take in.

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I have a peleton. It makes a really nice clothes rack, or a place to stack folded blankets.

Average AF

Apr 18, 2018
Buy a cheap spin bike online and a subscription to Beach Sweat, ether you will lose weight or you forearms will get jacked.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I echo the calorie counting. I use MyFitnessPal as well. I don’t track on weekends as closely. I have a treadmill and a peloton set up in my garage with a tv mounted, and I’ll watch games/shows while I’m casually riding or walking. The peloton non-bike workouts are fine. They’re a decent place to start. I don’t workout super hard unless I’m actually at a gym doing a class but you can still have decent workouts with apps/peloton.

You can get the app without the bike for pretty cheap and maybe even a free trial. Would need a mat/weights for some of them

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Get a peloton. And use it. Emma Lovewell is awesome to look at while riding.

I "think" peloton stop production. Not sure why. It might have to do with the micro chip shortage. Not sure if any of that is correct. Just something I heard.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
That’s pretty much what ours is. It’s not a Peleton but one of the other brands. Wife wanted to buy it and I told her “That’s fine but it’s going to end up being a clothes rack.” “No it won’t.” Been a clothes rack for a year now.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Pencil or pen. Write down everything you eat and drink and the amount of calories in each thing. Add them up each day. Keep your total under 1800, you will lose weight fast. Exercise isn’t necessary, but mix in some resistance training (weight lifting) and it will accelerate your weight loss.

My problem isn't necessarily calorie intake. I know, it is to a point, but I'm already on a 1500 calorie diet. My health issues create a problem there. I want to actually work my body. Weight loss will come but will stop at a point and I'll still have some fat around.
I need to start fairly low impact (again due to health related issues).

Last edited:

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Get outside and walk / run / bike if you can. I lifted weights in a gym ~3 days a week for nearly 20 years - gave it up when covid hit and just haven't been able to get started again. But I run 5 days a week and walk my dog almost every day in addition to running. I've lost strength obviously from not lifting weights but otherwise feel like I'm in great shape.

There's something about getting outside that's so much better than exercising indoors. No screens, no kids, no wife, no co-workers, less distractions... just time to clear your mind. Even with the miserable weather we've had last few days I still feel better getting outside for 30-60 minutes and getting my blood flowing.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
As a type 2 diabetic, when I found out 9 years ago I cut out all sugary drinks, used portion control and dropped 30 lbs in 3 months. I am on my feet all day, so I get a lot of steps in and have maintained at around 210 to 215 for 8 years now.

So the steps are
1. Get rid of sugar drinks
2. Use portion control/size.
3. Walk!

That will drop the excess weight. Weight training will enhance this, but muscle mass will add good weight back on.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
My problem isn't necessarily calorie intake. I know, it is to a point, but I'm already on a 1500 calorie diet. My health issues create a problem there. I want to actually work my body. Weight loss will come but will stop at a point and I'll still have some fat around.

Record all of your calories. If you’re not writing them down (or using an app to record them), you are most likely underestimating them by half. What you think is 1500 is probably closer to 3000. I know that sounds crazy, but it’s the norm.
Yes, you will eventually plateau, but if you only consume 1500 calories, your plateau won’t be overweight. Focus on the diet first, and after developing that habit (meal planning will be a huge help), start exercising.
A friend of mine has gone from 470 pounds in March of 2020 to 250 pounds last week. He’s 6’3” and does zero exercise other than normal walking around. He hasn’t plateaued yet. He did it by changing his diet. He basically eats rotisserie chicken (a whole rotisserie chicken is 1100 calories, and he eats one per day) and canned vegetables. He occasionally has some fruit. He does have dessert, but rarely. ZERO exercise and amazing results by only changing his diet.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
There is some good stuff in this thread. See how nice SPSers can play!

The caloric intake is key. Do invest in the pen or pencil and write down what you eat and drink. Depending on where you are, limiting to 1800 a day could feel extreme. Maybe start around 2400 and try to get to 2000 or less.

Again depending on your health, fasting one day a week for 24 hours is a good way to get you to a lower caloric intake overall. Then see if you can get to a 48 hour fast.

Don't eat after 7:00 p.m.
Get 8 hours of sleep a night (at least). Naps are good. Try to get a 20-45 minute nap at least two or three days a week.
Drink more than 50 oz of water each day.
Walk 2 to 4 miles three to five days a week.

Good luck.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I haven't seen 18:6 mentioned (fast for 18 hours, have a 6 hour window to eat sensibly, this is essentially skipping breakfast). Go low carb as much as possible, the old rule of thumb is eat the amount of calories per day x 10 that is your goal weight (if you want o wight 200 lbs, eat 2000 calories). If you are very busy during the day, you may be able to get away with one meal per day.

Start slow on the exercise, walking at a decent pace is likely the best exercise most can do. Get to the point where you elevate your heart rate for 30 minutes or longer at a time. Core is also very important for overall health, rather than sit ups and crunches (which can be troublesome for your back) do planks on your elbows. If you can fashion a spot to do it, knee raises (that eventually turn into leg raises) are very effective. You can also do back raises on the floor.

Drink lots and lots of water.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Something I haven’t seen mentioned…

Sigh.....

I was successful in losing weight by simply being mindful of when I was hungry (don’t eat just because it’s noon), and then chewing slowly. Eat slowly for 10 minutes, take a 5 minute break, and if you’re still hungry (you probably won’t be) repeat the process.

Also, if you feel hungry before it’s time to eat, drink water…. Sometimes thirst can feel like hunger. And “H2Orange” (1 part OJ to 7 parts Water) is incredibly effective at keeping your hunger level where it needs to be.

The program is now called “wondr health”, but it’s basically a lifestyle change that allows you to lose significant amounts of weight if you follow the process. https://wondrhealth.com/

The best part is that you can eat almost anything you want, as long as it’s not packed with sugar. Nothing more satisfying that having steak and a burger in the same day, and still losing weight! My wife and I always split an entree, and if we don’t we will definitely have a to-go box…. you get multiple meals out of one. Another great benefit!

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I was successful in losing weight by simply being mindful of when I was hungry (don’t eat just because it’s noon), and then chewing slowly. Eat slowly for 10 minutes, take a 5 minute break, and if you’re still hungry (you probably won’t be) repeat the process.

Also, if you feel hungry before it’s time to eat, drink water…. Sometimes thirst can feel like hunger. And “H2Orange” (1 part OJ to 7 parts Water) is incredibly effective at keeping your hunger level where it needs to be.

The program is now called “wondr health”, but it’s basically a lifestyle change that allows you to lose significant amounts of weight if you follow the process. https://wondrhealth.com/

The best part is that you can eat almost anything you want, as long as it’s not packed with sugar. Nothing more satisfying that having steak and a burger in the same day, and still losing weight! My wife and I always split an entree, and if we don’t we will definitely have a to-go box…. you get multiple meals out of one. Another great benefit!

When I get hungry I drink water.

llmsudawg

Mar 3, 2008
Give up all soft drinks and sweet tea, drink your coffee black, drink water religiously, cut out carbs (pasta, bread, potato anything, rice) and just walk 20-30 minutes a day/every other day.

You'll be surprised at what that will do and you'll feel a lot better.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Give up all soft drinks and sweet tea, drink your coffee black,
I didn't know there were still people who had not done this.

I mean I drink a coke every now and again. Maybe I'll put some sugar and cream in my coffee on vacation or on a random Saturday when I'm in a good mood. But as a daily habit? I quit that when I was about 19.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Just make sure you're not trading weight loss for a heart attack. I know a lot of trendy diets out there say you can guzzle saturated fat and lose weight, but it's not a great idea for your arteries.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Just make sure you're not trading weight loss for a heart attack. I know a lot of trendy diets out there say you can guzzle saturated fat and lose weight, but it's not a great idea for your arteries.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

Yes, but the method I am talking about is mindfulness and moderation... It's not like a keto. It definitely preaches a balanced meal, with 1/3 (or more) of it being a protein.

Eat what you want only when you're hungry, then chew very slowly and time yourself until you can master it. So, even though you had steak and hamburger in the same day, you only ate a small portion of each and will have some left over.

The coolest part is that you can still have a beer or two with your meals and still lose weight. Doesn't work as well with wine (sugar).

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
So let me get this straight. You criticize me for smartly using youth baseball pitch counts, while you play 60+ games a year, spring and fall. Then you take Facebook science as gospel when it comes to the spread of COVID. Now you're arguing with me about the issues with overeating red meat?

Starting to see a bro-science trend here.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

You are legitimately sticking to a 1500cal diet? Like really truly honestly taking in 1500 calories total? That is really difficult for a grown *** man to do. Any actual exercise in a day and bam thats a huge deficit to handle the following day or two without taking in more. 1500 calories is crazy low for someone who has 40 pounds of excess belly fat.

If you are estimating and not actually tracking, then track it. Religiously track. Dont guess at a meal, break it down and add in everything like olive oil or bbq sauce or whatever else goes into the meal.
Its an exhausting process, but it works. Stick to it for months and you will either see results or understand why you dont see results.
myfitnesspal is what I use. Every single thing that I eat is tracked. Been that way for 2.5 years now.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login