Favre and Philbilly Have to Go to Prison…

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I just read the entire article...

Dogs

Jul 26, 2017
Easy. Fav-ruh and Philbilly are the government mooching welfare queens that we were warned about.

It makes it even more awful, when you consider that Mississippi has the highest rate of rejections for welfare in the country. Just 1.4% of applicants for welfare are accepted in MS.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I’ll be devil’s advocate

Why does Favre deserve to go to jail? The article says he repeatedly offered his services in exchange for the payment to go to the volleyball project. I’m assuming hiring people with these welfare funds to do commercials for the welfare program is legal. Also, he wasn’t in charge of the funds. From this article, it sounds like Brett wanted a new building and asked people in charge of government money for some of it to go the project, and the people in charge of the money tried every trick they could think of to break the spirit of the law but not the letter.
I’m just asking questions.
Phil and New sound guilty as sin, from this article.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Everyone involved should go to prison. I have zero tolerance for any corrupt politicians and their friends.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Can't believe Phil put all that in writing. Always did get a dumb 17er vibe from him. It's almost like Mississippi accidentally made a Rankin County Sheriff's Deputy it's Governor.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Can't believe Phil put all that in writing. Always did get a dumb 17er vibe from him. It's almost like Mississippi accidentally made a Rankin County Sheriff's Deputy it's Governor.
They had a Freeze on the team. Should’ve known to use burner phones.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Why does Favre deserve to go to jail? The article says he repeatedly offered his services in exchange for the payment to go to the volleyball project. I’m assuming hiring people with these welfare funds to do commercials for the welfare program is legal. Also, he wasn’t in charge of the funds. From this article, it sounds like Brett wanted a new building and asked people in charge of government money for some of it to go the project, and the people in charge of the money tried every trick they could think of to break the spirit of the law but not the letter.
I’m just asking questions.
Phil and New sound guilty as sin, from this article.

Yea, my first guess is that Favre will probably be safe from a conviction? Favre is only going to have a criminal problem I think if he was making false statements in any application for funds. I'm assuming he was never the one signing off on any funding applications though. They might could rope him in on some conspiracy or RICO type stuff but I'm just not sure how likely it is there is going to be anything in writing indicating that he knew what they were doing or what he was asking for was improper.

The one thing Bryant has going for him is that nothing so far shows him getting personal benefit other than reputational benefit (at least on the volley ball court; the concussion study stuff may be different). Not sure that is a big deal legally, but it probably matters perception wise. The closer Bryant can make the story to "Bryant lobbied his subordinate to figure out how to spend welfare funds on USM", the more it seems like incompetence/bad judgment rather than a criminal offense (even if it is ultimately technically a criminal offense). The closer the story looks like "Bryant directed his subordinates to spend welfare money on USM sports to help his friends", the more criminal it looks.

New is 17ed obviously, if not on this particular instance then on other spending.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
They way you give or spend government funds matters. So if he is tied to that stuff they can get him for that

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
"And while the state-of-the-art facility represents the single largest known fraudulent purchase within the scheme, according to one of the criminal defendant’s plea agreement, the state is not pursuing the matter in its ongoing civil complaint. Current Gov. Tate Reeves abruptly fired the attorney bringing the state’s case when he tried to subpoena documents related to the volleyball stadium."

Sounds like tater tot trying to protect his friends.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Shouldn't someone at USM have questioned where all this money miraculously came from ?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Everyone at USM thinks Brett Favre is greatest and that he has deep pockets from all his wrangler and copper fit commercials.**

Last edited:

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
After multiple reads, this is a black eye for so many involved. I hate it when I read things like this about Mississippi

patdog

May 28, 2007
There's plenty of evidence just in that article that they knew exactly where the money was coming from.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
His read of the coverage was always poor --- Should have used T-Mobile*****

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Someone would just say “Praise Be The Guvnah” and there’d be a chorus response of “To The Top!”**

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Slap on the wrist. No jail time. Phil will live out his retirement in Copiah County hunting, fishing and making $50,000 per on the speaking circuit.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Well he knew the commercials were a sham transaction to funnel government money to the facility. Whether that is a crime or not I dont know but its awful

Last edited by a moderator:

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
We can all hope that Phil is eventually held criminally liable for that god-awful commercial about "heppin' us git our daddies back."

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
How sorry do you have to be to literally have the money in the bank to do this yourself for your daughter but still prefer to steal from the poorest and most marginalized in the state to do it instead?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Well he knew the commercials were a sham transaction to funnel government money to the facility. Whether that is a crime or not I dont know but its awful
Maybe so. From this article, it sounds like Favre was willing to donate his compensation for doing commercials to the building project. I don’t think that is illegal. Why are commercials for a welfare program needed? What is the fair value for a Super Bowl winning QB and local hero’s endorsement? I don’t know. What he was paid seems absurd, but everything related to athlete compensation seems extreme to me (I understand the economics of player salaries, not arguing that). Maybe there was an agreement to do 5 commercials a year for 10 years at $20k each. That doesn’t seem too out of line for compensation. Going just from the evidence in this article, I don’t see anything that puts Favre in jail, unless I don’t understand something legally, which is a high probability.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
It would seem that celebrities / athletes, by not getting paid for "commercials" or PSAs, would enhance their "brand" as a result of them. Assuming of course they aren't involved in a scandal made public.

I would also not consider it unreasonable that incidentals (travel / meals) could be paid for by a foundation to produce the PSA. However, it would seem that a celebrity charging a "fee-for-service" to actually do the commercial for a charity or cause would be reprehensible.

Last edited:

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
And all this is only over 8 million or so of 60+ million in unaccounted for TANF funds. It's going to get worse before it gets better. This, along with the **** show going on in Jackson, only goes to prove that our ability to elect the most unqualified idiots to govern us goes across both party and racial lines. It's time we started demanding better from our elected officials. Sending as many of these ******** to prison as we can would be a good message to send.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Serious question but is Favre applying for funds and receiving the illegal?

Especially if he didn’t receive the money?

I mean if I apply for government assistance or funds and don’t lie on my application and they award me the money am I doing something illegal?

I could be missing something but it seems to me Farve is guilty of being dumb mainly.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
What I was thinking exactly. Maybe what he was doing was immoral and stupid but was it illegal?

patdog

May 28, 2007
You’re conveniently ignoring the fact he very much appears to be deeply involved in the scheme to divert Federal welfare funds to the USM volleyball arena. Very much illegal.

was21

May 29, 2007
They should both probably get jail time. The only way it will or would happen if outside law enforcement takes the bull by the horns.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Y’all, Fraud is fraud. It was welfare money intended for the poor of our state. It was not meant to build a volleyball building, and if you actively and knowingly directed money toward that end, you are going to do some time in a federal lock up. See Christopher Epps case. Favre and Ole Phil had better do some plea bargaining of their own before Nancy New takes the stand.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login