Favre and Philbilly Have to Go to Prison…

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
I mean those people were probably just going to waste that money on food and what not. Not something beautiful like a volleyball court that 10’s of people will enjoy.

bddawg

Feb 21, 2018
It makes it even more awful, when you consider that Mississippi has the highest rate of rejections for welfare in the country. Just 1.4% of applicants for welfare are accepted in MS.

Considering you can Google that close to a half million people are on some type of welfare in Mississippi, your math isn't off it's way the hell off. You're not even close.
So 16% of the state is on it. But only 1.4 % are accepted???

Last edited:

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008
Isn’t it true that Favre never fulfilled any of the “speaking engagements” or “advertising promos” that he promised, yet he still took and retained the $1.1 million? I think that is right he never did anything for that money. And won’t give it back after several demands from the state auditor.

I think his criminal liability depends on how much he was involved in the details like the sham lease, sham office space, etc. If he knew and pushed for those ideas in order to get the funding, he may have some issues. Otherwise, he was just begging for money from the government and he had a friend answer his call.

Reunion Dog

Aug 26, 2012
Farve knew from the beginning… who the hell you think set up dumbass Phil with the medical company who was gonna reward him with stock options the day he left office.

Look closely in how Livingston was given special Tourism Tax Credits to build that place for his Finance Chairman. DumboPhil tried to be another Haley and fell flat on his big nosed face b

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Everyone involved should go to prison. I have zero tolerance for any corrupt politicians and their friends.

The entire crew of them sitting at the Capitol are worthless. We are currently sitting on 1.4 BILLION in excess revenue and the first thing you will hear come January is “we can’t possibly afford to….” Insert whatever you want there. Whether it be state pay raises, teacher pay raises, etc.

There are hundreds and hundreds of state jobs that can’t get filled because there are so few applicants.

Think about that when your services continue to suffer. The legislature refuses to keep state salaries competitive and our young people continue to leave the state in droves. Tater may get his wish of less government because if he and his cronies keep it up there won’t be many workers left once the last of the 25 year retirees are gone.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Considering you can Google that close to a half million people are on some type of welfare in Mississippi, your math isn't off it's way the hell off. You're not even close.
So 16% of the state is on it. But only 1.4 % are accepted???

Let's define welfare. You take the mortgage interest deduction on your taxes? How about child credits?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Well he knew the commercials were a sham transaction to funnel government money to the facility. Whether that is a crime or not I dont know but its awful

I don't think that's clear from the texts. I suspect those payments aren't out of line with what he gets for other spots. It doesn't make sense for a government entity to pay the same as say Wrangler or Copperwhatever, but I don't think that stops it from happening and I don't think it can be assumed that Favre thought that was a sham. He wanted to get money to the volleyball facility. He had a service that people pay him a lot of money for for very little work, so he offered that service to MDHS as an easy way to generate money that could be used to pay for the volleyball facility. Definitely looks bad since they were all clearly looking for ways to tap into that pot of money for what they wanted to use it for, but it also seems like a fair reading from the text is that he was looking for legal ways to do it. Looks bad, but doesn't seem to be illegal on its face.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Ok so let’s say Favre does a “legit” commercial for the welfare fund. I say legit bc i can’t fathom why you need commercials for a “welfare program” but it’s not illegal to pay him for his services.

He then takes the money paid to him for his services (not illegal). He then gives that money to Usm for a volleyball court/building.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Thats an incredibly generous reading of the texts considering he didn’t want anyone to know who paid him or how much. I mean he is texting New bc he knows she holds the purse strings and he wants the facility built. Guess who else served on the USM Athletic Fdn bd at one time?—Nancy new. They all knew what was going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
He didn't want to be compensated directly (and generate a tax obligation). He wanted the contribution to bypass directly to Southern (benefitting his own family, of course).

TNT.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Ok so let’s say Favre does a “legit” commercial for the welfare fund. I say legit bc i can’t fathom why you need commercials for a “welfare program” but it’s not illegal to pay him for his services.

He then takes the money paid to him for his services (not illegal). He then gives that money to Usm for a volleyball court/building.

He’s done that before. Farm Bureau was unable to pay him for the commercials he did for the them - something to do with their corporate by laws and being a federation. So He agreed to do it if they sent the money elsewhere. He essentially donated his pay. Same thing.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Thats an incredibly generous reading of the texts considering he didn’t want anyone to know who paid him or how much. I mean he is texting New bc he knows she holds the purse strings and he wants the facility built. Guess who else served on the USM Athletic Fdn bd at one time?—Nancy new. They all knew what was going on.

I took that to mean he just didn't want people to know he was getting paid by them b/c he wants it to be seen as charity, not him getting paid a lot of money by a government entity, not because the pay was above market and he wanted to hide a crime.

And I agree am giving a generous interpretation of the texts, but I don't think I'm giving an implausible reading of the texts. I think that's fair in considering criminal risk. I am also putting a lot of weight on my assumptions of what his official role was in all of this, which I am guessing is nothing. He was asking government officials and government grant recipients for money. It's not his job to make sure he asks for money in a compliant way unless he is actually filling out an application and making representations.

That said, the feds can indict anybody they want for pretty much anything, and if Favre was dumb enough to give any interviews to federal agents, there's an approximatley zero percent chance that he didn't say anything that could be used to hit him with a false statement charge and have a decent chance of conviction.

Reunion Dog

Aug 26, 2012
Let’s remember another item. The richest family in the State live in Hattiesburg and are HUGE Mississippi Southern guys. The Duff Brothers. Their money SPEAKS BIG TIME…. That’s the reason Weak *** Tater got rid of Pigot.

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
Isn’t it true that Favre never fulfilled any of the “speaking engagements” or “advertising promos” that he promised, yet he still took and retained the $1.1 million? I think that is right he never did anything for that money. And won’t give it back after several demands from the state auditor.

I think his criminal liability depends on how much he was involved in the details like the sham lease, sham office space, etc. If he knew and pushed for those ideas in order to get the funding, he may have some issues. Otherwise, he was just begging for money from the government and he had a friend answer his call.

I'm pretty sure that the money was paid back.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It's not welfare to want a tax break on your money. Typically welfare is getting government payments without putting anything or very little in the system.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Let’s remember another item. The richest family in the State live in Hattiesburg and are HUGE Mississippi Southern guys. The Duff Brothers. Their money SPEAKS BIG TIME…. That’s the reason Weak *** Tater got rid of Pigot.

Tater fired Piggot because, as Tater said, "he didn't want the investigation to be political" but Piggot was looking at the folks who received TANF funds and looking at who they made political donations to. Tater and his political cohorts don't want everyone to know which politicians got paid what out of this debacle.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This made me laugh...

[FONT="]I wish Favre's daughter played football instead of volleyball......#SMTTT pic.twitter.com/3n8E1JzxVg— Cloverleaf Mall (@CloverleafMall) September 15, 2022 [/FONT]

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Let's define welfare. You take the mortgage interest deduction on your taxes? How about child credits?

If you define the mortgage interest deduction as welfare then the only people that can possibly not be on welfare are homeless people, homeowners who don't itemize, homeowners that don't have a mortgage, and people that rent from landlords that don't carry debt on the rental in question. That's a pretty pointless/stupid definition.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login