FB attendance depression

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
State fans aren't committed to supporting football like they are baseball and John Cohen encouraged that s h i t. We've finally got people working to correct that.
I never understood why the university went all in on baseball, a minor regional sport that brings in little to no money, and put football and basketball, the two biggest sports by far that being in millions of dollars, on the back burner. People go to baseball games just to go. It’s a social thing. Doesn’t matter how good the team is. Football needs that.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I never understood why the university went all in on baseball, a minor regional sport that brings in little to no money, and put football and basketball, the two biggest sports by far that being in millions of dollars, on the back burner. People go to baseball games just to go. It’s a social thing. Doesn’t matter how good the team is. Football needs that.
Isn’t that kind of a reflection of the fanbase? When NIL first hit there were several posters that said they weren’t going to give to football because what’s the point? We are just going to get outspent and never will be able to compete with the big boys. I don’t feel that way because I realize we are doing more with less and have been for 14 years. I also have no delusions of being a perennial top 10 program.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
That sounds like a really crappy day. Upper deck, metal bleachers, one drink, eat at a gas station. Lord, you would have to pay me a few hundred bucks to suffer through all that. I’ll never sit in the upper deck of any stadium for anything again.
Upper deck is about all we do if we bring our kids. You have a good view of plays developing, but can’t see the detail you do closer to the field. I’d rather be in the stadium than not go at all, so that’s what we do.

Reactions: BirdPuppy

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
I prefer the minor regional sport as some have mentioned.

At least if you **** the bed in the 1st, you’re not competing against the opponent and time. The other team still has to record 27 outs

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Large screen TVs, couch, plentiful beer & snacks, friends & family, no travel, no heat, no traffic, no parking hassle.........welcome to the new world order
^^^^
this plus the economy, plus some apathy, plus other things I can’t think of I guess.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The travel sports have to be a non negligible impact. You’ve got travel soccer now pretty consistently starting in august for kids as young as 8. then a lot of people are playing travel baseball in the fall now although it seems like the tournaments aren’t every weekend.

Even the rec league interferes with Saturday games basically from mid September or early October depending on where you are, although that at least leaves the later games as an option.
Just a lot more things pulling on people’s time than in the past and pulling harder, while the tv experience has gotten better.
I miss tailgating and miss coming to campus and if money were no object, I’d love to come every home game.

But looking at spending $1,000 -$1200 for a weekend and all the sudden that competes with a lot of three day weekend trips we can take. the biggest thing to me is that compared to all the other trips, football weekends are work. Spending $1200 on other trips means other than the drive, we basically just pay for stuff and it’s enjoyable. We don’t have to plan for a tailgate or worry about packing things in and out and walking or dealing with tricky parking or lack of Uber or anything.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Sounds like we should stop giving them cheaper tickets to sell. They can pay the same fees as the rest of us if they're going to sell them. And move their asses to the upper deck
That's one solution. "We" have no power to change that system.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The wife and I may retire to Starkville but we're also likely to move to where out kids end up (one is considering State for graduate school, fingers crossed). If that's the case, I'm going to games.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
It really comes down to supply and demand. I guess we make less from ticket sales than TV/SEC contracts. If we really want to fill the stadium start cutting ticket prices. Perhaps the AD department prefers to have less fans and a higher ROI. Either that or increase demand by fielding a top 10 team (see Colorado). Depends on where we want to be.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
It really comes down to supply and demand. I guess we make less from ticket sales than TV/SEC contracts. If we really want to fill the stadium start cutting ticket prices. Perhaps the AD department prefers to have less fans and a higher ROI. Either that or increase demand by fielding a top 10 team (see Colorado). Depends on where we want to be.
Well the AD strategy for decades has been 17 the fans, if they don't come someone else will. And many have now called that bet.

Let's separate individual games from season tickets. For season tickets, don't have 6 of 7 games at the worst possible kickoff times, and you'll sell more. Plus, with Stubhub and such a family can now just pick a convenient game for the experience, and save thousands. Season ticket holders should get a discount, not a markup.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Another thing that makes all of college sports suck now are the free transfer waivers….combined with being out bid for our best players.

It happened with our best receiver this year…along with our starting RB…they just about nabbed our other two WR’s…. it almost happened to our best baseball player…..

At some point, the donations will cease, especially if we are just considered a farm system for richer universities.

If this keeps up in the direction it’s headed, we will continue to sink. Not sure what saves it but like I’ve said in previous post……I’d rather compete in a league which we can actually have a chance of winning a trophy. The SEC money, to me, isn’t worth the suck we will continue to endure playing against opponents who can buy what they want.

Money is the game. High volume drives the over the top budgets….we can’t compete here.
I’m ready for the powers to break away and I hope we join other universities in our similar predicament and bring back amateur athletics.
People will get sick of this shhit sooner than later.

Y’all ever seen the movie Field of Dreams? People will come, Ray. Oh they will come.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"Well is the AD strategy for decades has been 17 the fans, if they don't come someone else will. And many have now called that bet."

And this the very reason I started losing interest long before we ever heard of Covid, NIL and all that other bullschit. The relentless commercialization of the game from the schools on up has just been sickening to watch for me and the NIL was just the icing on the cake. I admit I'm a dinosaur but it just ain't as much fun as it used to be IMO.

Reactions: dorndawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
"Well is the AD strategy for decades has been 17 the fans, if they don't come someone else will. And many have now called that bet."

And this the very reason I started losing interest long before we ever heard of Covid, NIL and all that other bullschit. The relentless commercialization of the game from the schools on up has just been sickening to watch for me and the NIL was just the icing on the cake. I admit I'm a dinosaur but it just ain't as much fun as it used to be IMO.
Pipe down, commie. Unfettered capitalism is always better!******

Reactions: thatsbaseball

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Another thing that makes all of college sports suck now are the free transfer waivers….combined with being out bid for our best players.

It happened with our best receiver this year…along with our starting RB…they just about nabbed our other two WR’s…. it almost happened to our best baseball player…..

At some point, the donations will cease, especially if we are just considered a farm system for richer universities.

If this keeps up in the direction it’s headed, we will continue to sink. Not sure what saves it but like I’ve said in previous post……I’d rather compete in a league which we can actually have a chance of winning a trophy. The SEC money, to me, isn’t worth the suck we will continue to endure playing against opponents who can buy what they want.

Money is the game. High volume drives the over the top budgets….we can’t compete here.
I’m ready for the powers to break away and I hope we join other universities in our similar predicament and bring back amateur athletics.
People will get sick of this shhit sooner than later.

Y’all ever seen the movie Field of Dreams? People will come, Ray. Oh they will come.
I don't think this is the problem you think it is. Parity seems to be gaining steam. A lot of teams now have pretty serviceable players, where many of those guys were on the bench for the blue bloods last year. State ourselves have benefitted greatly. I will trade RaRa for a Spivey (had he done it right), Brown, Jones, Wright, Albert, Rogers (Khamauri), Keys, all the kickers, and Goede. That's one heck of a return on a trade, and don't get me wrong, we likely don't see all the return for a year or so. However, we are seeing the return on Davis, Robinson, Smith and countless others now.

NIL is what truly sucks and is doing the damage for us. We simply cannot afford that crap so we need to conserve that for in-state 5-star level guys (which we've always paid for) and our homegrown stars (like a Tulu for example).

Last edited:
Reactions: mcdawg22

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Because MS is a baseball state, and people want to be a winner? And thus far it's the only sport where State can truly say we were the best at something?

You're wrong on why people go to State baseball games. They go because we're good, they like seeing a winner and they love the program. Over time, does that develop some social aspects? Of course, and that's a good thing.

Don't be a dipshit.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Seems to me the rich have just gotten richer.
I don’t see a lot of parity at all. Seems like the same top 15 since 2001.

You’d think Tx Tech and Baylor and Kstate and Vtech and Gtech and Nebraska and UCLA and Houston UAB or Memphis….Tulane…Indiana….would have been able to substantially improve and continue upward projections….truth is, they can’t, they havnt and like MSU in 2014, all have been flash in the pans over the last 25 years….minus Nebraska in the 90’s…which makes this all more baffling.

If we don’t change back to pre BCS era rules and the NCAA continues its “slapping of the wrist” it won’t matter if we have a 36 team playoff….eventually, the 36 wealthiest football budgets, year after year, will be in the playoff. Do this long enough and it will happen, I promise.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Hampton Inn is $1,700 for two night this weekend.

No thanks.
Well last week I booked the Marriott for $1,050 for 2 nights after tax.

certainly not cheap but way more reasonable than the Hampton price.

that number may be higher now.

Buf If prices are that high, people are booking the rooms.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Well last week I booked the Marriott for $1,050 for 2 nights after tax.

certainly not cheap but way more reasonable than the Hampton price.

that number may be higher now.

Buf If prices are that high, people are booking the rooms.
There's more rooms than there used to be and people are booking them. Same for Airbnb etc. So it's not that. It has to be day trippers and locals.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I live in a dilapidated trailer in Crackers Neck. I'd rather buy a $20K side by side and jack that sumbeach up and throw on big tires and nice rims so I can blow it up swamping. Then pull it home with my $90K F250 that I also jacked up and put nice rims on. Oh, and Hail State!
That's the rural MS way of life.
Because MS is a baseball state, and people want to be a winner? And thus far it's the only sport where State can truly say we were the best at something?

You're wrong on why people go to State baseball games. They go because we're good, they like seeing a winner and they love the program. Over time, does that develop some social aspects? Of course, and that's a good thing.

Don't be a dipshit.
No state is a baseball state. Not a single one. It's barely a regional sport. It's barely ahead of womens basketball. It's fine to support it. But no school should be selling it as THE SPORT. It costs the schools money. Football pays the bills and should be the priority. John Cohen was and is an idiot.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
There's more rooms than there used to be and people are booking them. Same for Airbnb etc. So it's not that. It has to be day trippers and locals.
Genuinely confused.

You are saying the rooms are getting booked right?

So you are saying it’s less day trippers coming to games? I can but that.

But I often see people saying the reason attendance is down is due to the high cost of rooms.

My dad has driven 4 hrs one way and back for almost 55 years from southwest Ms.

Not cheap but certainly not super expensive if you wanna do a day trip.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
The last reseating didn't help either. A lot of folks that were smaller givers yearly got moved because of fair weather folks giving big donations for 1 year. Short sighted.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login