FC/OT: Mindboggling baseball stats/records.....

1995PSUGrad

Oct 30, 2021
I did that in my early 20s. I got the 88th (I think) beer. I fell out because I had to urinate so long that I missed the next shot of beer.
I did that in my early 20s. I got the 88th (I think) beer. I fell out because I had to urinate so long that I missed the next shot of beer.
We did that at PSU one time (at least we tried). It was the night that Penn State played Pitt in the NIT back in the early 90's. We were somewhere around 50 and I had to leave because I had front row seats to the game. I puked just before I got to Rec Hall. Enjoyed the game but never had the opportunity to try the 100 shots thing again.

Reactions: Connorpozlee

1995PSUGrad

Oct 30, 2021
Another non-baseball stat, One of the most amazing stats that I have ever heard is the fact that Wayne Gretzky, who is the all time leading goal scorer in NHL history, would still be the all time NHL points leader if he never scored a goal. That's just about being so much better than everyone else.

GulfCoastLion

Oct 14, 2021
Roberto Clemente is the only player in MLB history to hit a ‘walk-off-inside-the-park’ grand slam home run, doing so on July 25, 1956, at 21 years old. Just one of many amazing achievements in this amazing man's all too short heroic life.

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
Roberto Clemente is the only player in MLB history to hit a ‘walk-off-inside-the-park’ grand slam home run, doing so on July 25, 1956, at 21 years old. Just one of many amazing achievements in this amazing man's all too short heroic life.
Riley Greene for the Tigers just did this yesterday...though it was in the 5th inning.

Bob Uecker hit 14 career HRs, 3 of them off of HOF pitchers -- Gaylord Perry, Sandy Koufax (in the same year, the only 2 HRs he hit in '65), Ferguson Jenkins.

PSUFBFAN

Oct 7, 2021
I used to listen to him doing Reds games on the radio with Marty Brenneman. Nuxhall’s closing line was, “This is the old left hander rounding third and heading for home.” They were on 700 WLW, the Big One! I would listen through static from Jersey. The games would come in clearer as the night went on. Loved when they were on west coast so I could hear a whole game.
Jack Billingham
Johnny Bench
Tony Perez
Joe Morgan
Pete Rose
Davey Concepcion
George Foster
Caesar Geronimo
Ken Griffey, Sr

"... And this one belongs to the Reds!!"

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
Jack Billingham
Johnny Bench
Tony Perez
Joe Morgan
Pete Rose
Davey Concepcion
George Foster
Caesar Geronimo
Ken Griffey, Sr

"... And this one belongs to the Reds!!"
During my teen years it was more about Eric Davis, Kal Daniels, Paul O’Neil, Tom Browning, Jose Rijo, Danny Jackson, and the nasty boys.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUFBFAN

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
The two longest home runs in MLB history were both hit by Yankees- and neither of them was Aaron Judge.

GulfCoastLion

Oct 14, 2021
* Pistol Pete Maravich averaged 44.2 points per game for LSU over 3 year, before the 3-point line. Someone actually calculated by looking at a combo of game shooting stats/film, that had there been a 3-point line, he would have averaged almost 59 PPG!

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
* Pistol Pete Maravich averaged 44.2 points per game for LSU over 3 year, before the 3-point line. Someone actually calculated by looking at a combo of game shooting stats/film, that had there been a 3-point line, he would have averaged almost 59 PPG!
Whenever I see this cited I always wonder how differently he would have been guarded if there was a 3 point shot …

Reactions: GulfCoastLion

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Whenever I see this cited I always wonder how differently he would have been guarded if there was a 3 point shot …
...or how many more 3 pointers he would have attempted (and made) had he grown up w/ the 3 point shot. If they came out on him, he would just go around them to the hoop.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Brother and I have been going down a rabbit hole on amazing major league baseball stats/records lately. Tony Gwynn looms large in a lot of them. But, a favorite I read was this - Hank Aaron hit 755 home runs in his career; if you take all of them away, he still has over 3,000 hits.

More fun ones:

- Stan Musial retired with 3,630 hits; he hit 1,815 at home, and 1,815 away.
- Rickey Henderson spent more of his career as all time steals leader than not; in fact, half of his steal total (703) is good enough for top ten all time.
- Don Mattingly set a single season record for grand slams in 1987 with six. Those are the only grand slams he hit in his career.
- Tom Brady was the last professional athlete drafted by the Montreal Expos.
- Nolan Ryan pitched 7 no-hitters but also pitched 12 1-hitters...(and never won a Cy Young award).
- Tony Gwynn struck out 434 times in a 20 year career. For comparison, Aaron Judge struck out 208 times when he won Rookie of the Year in 2017.
- One more Gwynn nugget - he had more 4-hit games than multi-strikeout games.
- Okay, last Gwynn one - he could have went 0 for his last ~1,100 at bats and still would have finished his career a .300 hitter.
- Wait, one more for Gwynn - he struck out a total of three times in 314 at bats against Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, and Pedro Martinez.
- Tony Gwynn and Ty Cobb never had a season where they hit below .300 save their rookie years.
- Sammy Sosa is the only player to hit 60 more more HRs in a season three times. And, he did not lead the league in HRs in any of those three seasons.
- The Mets are still paying Bobby Bonilla.

Okay, who else has some crazy baseball stats?
Willard White holds the record for most complete games in a season with 75. Last year Jordan Lyles led with 3 complete games.

• Love
Reactions: Midnighter

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I call total BS on it...that would mean he's gaining an extra ~15 points/game from 3 point shots. Even if he gained an extra point/game from getting fouled shooting a 3, that would mean he'd need to make 14 three pointers each game. In his career, he made 16.7 field goals/game. Are we really supposed to believe that over 83% of his makes were from behind the arc? It's a good urban legend, but zero chance that it's true.

GulfCoastLion

Oct 14, 2021
* Pistol Pete Maravich averaged 44.2 points per game for LSU over 3 year, before the 3-point line. Someone actually calculated by looking at a combo of game shooting stats/film, that had there been a 3-point line, he would have averaged 59 PPG!
I call total BS on it...that would mean he's gaining an extra ~15 points/game from 3 point shots. Even if he gained an extra point/game from getting fouled shooting a 3, that would mean he'd need to make 14 three pointers each game. In his career, he made 16.7 field goals/game. Are we really supposed to believe that over 83% of his makes were from behind the arc? It's a good urban legend, but zero chance that it's true.
Additional research, FWIW:

"Dale Brown, who coached at LSU after Press and Pete were there - Dale Brown went back and charted all the games with the running score. Maravich, free throw. Maravich, 22 foot jumper. Maravich, layup. And he calculated that with the current college three-point rule at 19.9 [feet], Pete Maravich would have averaged 13 three-point makes per game which would have given him a career average of 57 points per game under today's rules. That guy is unbelievable."

Reactions: Bison13

IrishHerb

Oct 13, 2021
Cy Young started 815 games and completed 749.
AND...Although he won 511.....he never won the Cy Young Award! ;)
Of course not. Just like a Vince Lombardi coached team never won the Lombardi Trophy (though they won the first 2 Super Bowls).

IrishHerb

Oct 13, 2021
Joe Nuxhall was the youngest player to ever play in a Major League Game at age 15. On June 10, 1944, in relief, he pitched 2/3 of an inning, surrendered five runs (and five walks) before he was yanked, leaving him with a single-game (and single-season) ERA of 67.50. He was sent to the minors and didn't return to the Bigs until 1952, eight years later. He went on to win 135 games and was a 2 time All Star.

Not exactly a baseball stat, but I believe @LionJim taught a student who was related to a guy who played in Cincinnati with Joe Nuxhall.

Reactions: fairgambit

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
* Pistol Pete Maravich averaged 44.2 points per game for LSU over 3 year, before the 3-point line. Someone actually calculated by looking at a combo of game shooting stats/film, that had there been a 3-point line, he would have averaged 59 PPG!

Additional research, FWIW:

"Dale Brown, who coached at LSU after Press and Pete were there - Dale Brown went back and charted all the games with the running score. Maravich, free throw. Maravich, 22 foot jumper. Maravich, layup. And he calculated that with the current college three-point rule at 19.9 [feet], Pete Maravich would have averaged 13 three-point makes per game which would have given him a career average of 57 points per game under today's rules. That guy is unbelievable."

Helps when you take 40 shots a game.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Not exactly a baseball stat, but I believe @LionJim taught a student who was related to a guy who played in Cincinnati with Joe Nuxhall.
Yeah, two students, grandchildren of Dick Sipek. Sipek was deaf, from Jacksonville, IL, my wife’s hometown, had his time in the show during World War II. Boy, his grandchildren were fine people, good students.

One time early in my career I taught this middle-aged man during a summer program for mathematics teachers of deaf high school students and thirty years later I taught his grandson. Wow, a really high character young man, still is, a math major. That was my job, work with these superb young people for four years, and help them grow, rinse and repeat. I loved my job.

Reactions: IrishHerb

IrishHerb

Oct 13, 2021
Yeah, two students, grandchildren of Dick Sipek. Sipek was deaf, from Jacksonville, IL, my wife’s hometown, had his time in the show during World War II. Boy, his grandchildren were fine people, good students.

One time early in my career I taught this middle-aged man during a summer program for mathematics teachers of deaf high school students and thirty years later I taught his grandson. Wow, a really high character young man, still is, a math major. That was my job, work with these superb young people for four years, and help them grow, rinse and repeat. I loved my job.
Dick Sipek was a golf buddy of mine. Even though he only played in the majors for one year, he remained connected with the Reds for the remainder of his life. More than once when we were in golf tournaments in or near a town that had a MLB team, while we were resting in our hotel in the evenings a couple of the coaches from either the local or visiting team showed up looking for Dick.

When Sipek was a student at the Illinois School for the Deaf, I believe his baseball coach was Luther Haden "Dummy" Taylor who won around 100 games as a pitcher for the Giants.

Last edited:

IrishHerb

Oct 13, 2021
Not a baseball record, but one of the many Yogiisms.

Reactions: BobPSU92

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
I used to listen to him doing Reds games on the radio with Marty Brenneman. Nuxhall’s closing line was, “This is the old left hander rounding third and heading for home.” They were on 700 WLW, the Big One! I would listen through static from Jersey. The games would come in clearer as the night went on. Loved when they were on west coast so I could hear a whole game.
"Rounding third and heading for home" is on the side of Great American Ballpark.....

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login