FC: What is the missed block here? PSU vs OSU…

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I don’t agree this was the right call on 4th and 5 but see folks saying if ‘blocked’ properly it would have worked. Who missed a block here? I believe Chase Young ends up blowing by 71 but this seemed like it was going nowhere….OSU #9 derailed this play by shoving his guy a yard backwards.

Jesse Myers is a producer for Josh Pate.

Last edited:

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I don’t agree this was the right call on 4th and 5 but see folks saying if ‘blocked’ properly it would have worked. Who missed a block here? I believe Chase Young ends up blowing by 71 but this seemed like it was going nowhere….OSU #9 derailed this play by shoving his guy a yard backwards.

But the analytics........

Reactions: Midnighter

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
IIRC it was the Young's stunt that went differently than expected. Franklin had said they ran a similar look a couple of times prior and saw how tOSU played it, so on paper the play was a good one, only this time tOSU switched up how they attacked it.

#74 also missed his block but at that point it didn't matter. But if you freeze it at about 3 seconds you see a lane to the left of the center, 2 PSU OL set to block 2 tOSU defenders. Hat on a hat, should have gone for a first down if both of those blockers execute. But the Young stunt blew it up before it had a chance.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
IIRC it was the Young's stunt that went differently than expected. Franklin had said they ran a similar look a couple of times prior and saw how tOSU played it, so on paper the play was a good one, only this time tOSU switched up how they attacked it.

#74 also missed his block but at that point it didn't matter. But if you freeze it at about 3 seconds you see a lane to the left of the center, 2 PSU OL set to block 2 tOSU defenders. Hat on a hat, should have gone for a first down if both of those blockers execute. But the Young stunt blew it up before it had a chance.
See, analytics, toljaso......

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Twice they had mcsorely in these tight games vs osu and usc and twice they didn’t use him in an rpo where he had the ball and made options to run or pass. Straight handoff to Barkley and sanders instead of decoy. They both couldn’t get the short yardage gains when needed. Yes some of it was our offensive line. But one blocker on young?
Osu game ended when they intentionally, I say, knocked out and targeted hamler.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021

No OSU ran that D all night, they ran it the year before. Whenever Greggy was the coordinator they ran
. Whats so sad it’s like PSU never worked on it.
Purdue ran the same play ( the yr before iirc) for a 70 yd TD except they trapped it
If PSY blocks that play correctly they get the first down. The RG and RT both attach the 3 tech. When he loops out , don’t chase him but simply let him run himself out of the play. Now the RG and RT will both be on Chase young. The C takes the LBer. The TE should end up w the looping 3

in all of Franklins yrs ther get beat on this all the time. It’s like the first time they have ever seen a T| E stunt.
PSU knew that D was coming and wasn’t prepared to block it. That one is 100% on CJF, not the play call the blocking scheme

Ram20

Oct 25, 2021
I never hated this play call like everyone else did. Yes, it didn't work and blame a lot of things, but I thought it was a tendency buster on 4th and 5 when trace had been keeping it and killing them all night. OSU was ready with that stunt, credit to them, that's what good coaching does.....you have your team in the right positions at the most critical times of a game(something we lack). But what can not be overstated, just a really poor effort across our entire O-Line. Mistakes happen, everyone misses blocks from time to time, but this is the perfect representation of a lazy and soft Offensive line. Id be okay if this gets blown up with maximum effort, but none of these guys try to hold blocks and dominate their one on ones physically. If there is just one thing in the program that changes, and it is improving slowly, can we just have a tough O-line? So much just little pushing and then releasing off of blocks over the years.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
I never hated this play call like everyone else did. Yes, it didn't work and blame a lot of things, but I thought it was a tendency buster on 4th and 5 when trace had been keeping it and killing them all night. OSU was ready with that stunt, credit to them, that's what good coaching does.....you have your team in the right positions at the most critical times of a game(something we lack). But what can not be overstated, just a really poor effort across our entire O-Line. Mistakes happen, everyone misses blocks from time to time, but this is the perfect representation of a lazy and soft Offensive line. Id be okay if this gets blown up with maximum effort, but none of these guys try to hold blocks and dominate their one on ones physically. If there is just one thing in the program that changes, and it is improving slowly, can we just have a tough O-line? So much just little pushing and then releasing off of blocks over the years.
I totally disagree with this. and this can not be overstated, the staff put the OL in an impossible situation! Keith Dorney on his best day could not block Chase Young on that play. No one could. They needed a scheme to account for that stunt. A straight Zone scheme would have dont it. Have the C, RG, RT TE all working together to account for that stunt, and if they play it straight, no worries either. My God they had the TE turn out on the DB who had in M/M!! How dumb. The C, RG, step the right, the RT, TE step to the left and a big wall is built. The back hits it and first down. it shouldnt be that hard. and seeing how OSU ran that stunt the year before, and earlier that year, it should not have been a surprise. The staff should have had a scheme to block it without having to make impossible blocks. That play had nothing, 0 , to do with effort, laziness and being soft. the only people who were lazy and soft was the staff for not being prepared from the year before!!!

this is from 2017 it is the same D they just ran (2018) but in 2017 he hit a TD pass on it.

let it run to third and goal
SOB they ran it again (not as well) but it is the same D, twice in the first qtr on the 2017, and PSU wasnt prepared for this in 2018??

Last edited:

Ram20

Oct 25, 2021
I totally disagree with this. and this can not be overstated, the staff put the OL in an impossible situation! Keith Dorney on his best day could not block Chase Young on that play. No one could. They needed a scheme to account for that stunt. A straight Zone scheme would have dont it. Have the C, RG, RT TE all working together to account for that stunt, and if they play it straight, no worries either. My God they had the TE turn out on the DB who had in M/M!! How dumb. The C, RG, step the right, the RT, TE step to the left and a big wall is built. The back hits it and first down. it shouldnt be that hard. and seeing how OSU ran that stunt the year before, and earlier that year, it should not have been a surprise. The staff should have had a scheme to block it without having to make impossible blocks. That play had nothing, 0 , to do with effort, laziness and being soft. the only people who were lazy and soft was the staff for not being prepared from the year before!!!

this is from 2017 it is the same D they just ran (2018) but in 2017 he hit a TD pass on it.

let it run to third and goal
SOB they ran it again (not as well) but it is the same D, twice in the first qtr on the 2017, and PSU wasnt prepared for this in 2018??

Fair enough, but I irrespective of play design and preparation, I just don't see any real effort to get to blocks and push guys back.

Reactions: LB99

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Xs and Os, Jimmies and Joe's.

Do you run a play at one of the best players in CFB with the game on the line?

No, you do not.
that is really irrelevant. by alignment, he should have not even been in the play , if we block it correctly. That said, I will say I thought that play would have been a better call on third down, then 4th. The reality is, PSU was not prepared for that stunt, yet they should have been!! OSU showed that stunt for 2 yrs!! You have 2 yrs to prepare for something and dont bet the job done, that is all on CJF. .

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
that is really irrelevant. by alignment, he should have not even been in the play , if we block it correctly. That said, I will say I thought that play would have been a better call on third down, then 4th. The reality is, PSU was not prepared for that stunt, yet they should have been!! OSU showed that stunt for 2 yrs!! You have 2 yrs to prepare for something and dont bet the job done, that is all on CJF. .
The guy that makes the tackle is irrelevant? Um, OK I guess.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
The guy that makes the tackle is irrelevant? Um, OK I guess.
You said you don’t run at the best player. He only makes the tackle because PSU was totally unprepared for a defense OSU ran many times not only 2018 but in 2017 as well. They ran that defense w the T/E stunt at least 4 times ( I got tired of counting) in first half of the 17 game alone. On Sunday of OSU week you have to gather your guys and start working on how to block that. PSU did not looked prepared, and there’s no excuse for that. All on CJF

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
PSU OL wasn’t prepared for a stunt for about 5-6 years straight. It has gotten better but still needs work. You are correct, if the OL blocks properly, that play goes for a big gain. I don’t hate the call after I saw it. It was lack of execution.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
PSU OL wasn’t prepared for a stunt for about 5-6 years straight. It has gotten better but still needs work. You are correct, if the OL blocks properly, that play goes for a big gain. I don’t hate the call after I saw it. It was lack of execution.
Yup!!

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018

Penn State 4th down.jpg
The hole was there Midnighter. Oh it was definitely there. Right call, poor execution.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
No OSU ran that D all night, they ran it the year before. Whenever Greggy was the coordinator they ran
. Whats so sad it’s like PSU never worked on it.
Purdue ran the same play ( the yr before iirc) for a 70 yd TD except they trapped it
If PSY blocks that play correctly they get the first down. The RG and RT both attach the 3 tech. When he loops out , don’t chase him but simply let him run himself out of the play. Now the RG and RT will both be on Chase young. The C takes the LBer. The TE should end up w the looping 3

in all of Franklins yrs ther get beat on this all the time. It’s like the first time they have ever seen a T| E stunt.
PSU knew that D was coming and wasn’t prepared to block it. That one is 100% on CJF, not the play call the blocking scheme
And you know that Franklin made that call how? I was at the game and told my buddy with whom I have shared season tickets since 1978 until my wife’s recent health issues that there are 8 minutes left in the game and all Penn State had to do was prevent OSU from scoring two TDs and they win the game. Well we all know that didn’t happen. OSU scored their first TD on a simple screen pass which went for a long TD. The “vaunted” defense looked like they had never seen that type of play before. I personally wasn’t enamored with the 4th and 5 call either but that’s not why the game was lost. The constant haranguing about this is ridiculous.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
And you know that Franklin made that call how? I was at the game and told my buddy with whom I have shared season tickets since 1978 until my wife’s recent health issues that there are 8 minutes left in the game and all Penn State had to do was prevent OSU from scoring two TDs and they win the game. Well we all know that didn’t happen. OSU scored their first TD on a simple screen pass which went for a long TD. The “vaunted” defense looked like they had never seen that type of play before. I personally wasn’t enamored with the 4th and 5 call either but that’s not why the game was lost. The constant haranguing about this is ridiculous.
After watching the 2017 game in the off season, CJF should have gotten w his O staff and asked ‘ how are we going to handle this?’
So if that’s their answer they failed, he failed despite what u think that’s part of the HC job
The call didn’t bother me the execution showed they were ill prepared

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
You said you don’t run at the best player. He only makes the tackle because PSU was totally unprepared for a defense OSU ran many times not only 2018 but in 2017 as well. They ran that defense w the T/E stunt at least 4 times ( I got tired of counting) in first half of the 17 game alone. On Sunday of OSU week you have to gather your guys and start working on how to block that. PSU did not looked prepared, and there’s no excuse for that. All on CJF
Or Limegrover maybe or Rahne maybe? I'm not sure. But I would put it on them before Franklin. JMO.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Or Limegrover maybe or Rahne maybe? I'm not sure. But I would put it on them before Franklin. JMO.
the HC is responsible for the solution. He has sit down with those guys and ask, how are we going to handle this. Then they should present a solution, that CJF will either accept or reject, if he rejects it, and it is his right to do so, they need to go back and come up with a different solution. But they needed to figure that out. The HC is responsible for the big picture, and that is a big picture issue.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
College coaches are pretty well paid. I can't figure out why you guys aren't going for coaching gigs when you know what plays to call- right down to the blocking schemes- to beat the Ohio States of the world.

Reactions: MaconNitt

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
College coaches are pretty well paid. I can't figure out why you guys aren't going for coaching gigs when you know what plays to call- right down to the blocking schemes- to beat the Ohio States of the
Amazing isn’t it??? Maybe we are way over paying these guys?? We pay an OL coach like a brain surgeon and he can’t get his guys to block a T/E stunt Smh. Maybe most guys would rather be home w their families then working 18 hrs per day. And getting on their knees for 18 yo kids who will now make more than them.

olelion

Oct 31, 2021

Trace Mcsorley was unstoppable the entire night. Taking him out of the key play in the game was just plain stupid. One of those where the OC thinks "...watch this, I'll fool them"