Feel like we're going from.........

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
a 85/15 Pass/Run attack under Leach to a 40/60 Pass/Run under Arnette of which I'm fine with. I wasn't a big fan of the air raid, but I supported the Pirate and hoped his philosophy would work in the SEC. We'll still throw the ball a lot, but will run much more. Therefore, instead of going into next year with 8-12 WRs, we really only need 4-8 WRs. I like the ones we have provided they come back. Justin Robinson was just beginning to show what a big time talent he can be. Believe he will be our featured receiver. Hopefully, Walley stays. And I really like Kayden Pope....feel like he'll be a big time receiver. Tulu leaving hurts, but we are just not going to need the receiving numbers that the air raid required. We also have a lot of nice OL redshirting who I think we'll like over the next 2-3 years. I'm optimistic as long as Will stays put. He's a smart guy. He can adapt to a new offense.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I think it’s a mistake. We can’t stand toe to toe with SEC defenses full of 4 and 5 start talent and just pound the ball down the field. We’ve got to do something different to have any chance to be competitive.

Ahhh...but you see, there's a weird and wacky section of our fanbase who are wracking off to the idea that we will be running up the middle 3 plays in a row before punting only to do it all again ad nauseum.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
From what I can see this guy adapts to what he has. The Air Raid groupies are sounding like we are going back to the Wing T or the Notre Dame Box. Enough already. What we are actually probably going to do is run a modified Air Raid, just like nearly everyone else. Balance is good. One dimensional either way can be stopped. From what I have seen the last three years we were good at exploiting the width of the field, not so much the depth. The field is a hell of a lot deeper than it is wide.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Ahhh...but you see, there's a weird and wacky section of our fanbase who are wracking off to the idea that we will be running up the middle 3 plays in a row before punting only to do it all again ad nauseum.
Tell me you know nothing about this offense without telling me know nothing about this offense.

You know The air raid wasn't exactly burning it down the field either on good sec defenses. Looked like **** against Kentucky too. Oh and looked better when we did what against ole miss? Oh yeah ran the ball more.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
From what I can see this guy adapts to what he has. The Air Raid groupies are sounding like we are going back to the Wing T or the Notre Dame Box. Enough already. What we are actually probably going to do is run a modified Air Raid, just like nearly everyone else. Balance is good. One dimensional either way can be stopped. From what I have seen the last three years were were good at exploiting the width of the field, not so much the depth. The field is a hell of a lot deeper than it is wide.
It's a cult with that bunch

Reactions: patdog

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
From what I can see this guy adapts to what he has. The Air Raid groupies are sounding like we are going back to the Wing T or the Notre Dame Box. Enough already. What we are actually probably going to do is run a modified Air Raid, just like nearly everyone else. Balance is good. One dimensional either way can be stopped. From what I have seen the last three years we were good at exploiting the width of the field, not so much the depth. The field is a hell of a lot deeper than it is wide.
Ahh but you need a qb with an arm that can take advantage of the length of the field.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I think it’s a mistake. We can’t stand toe to toe with SEC defenses full of 4 and 5 start talent and just pound the ball down the field. We’ve got to do something different to have any chance to be competitive.
Ole Miss is able to do it. But I somewhat agree. But the air raid wasn’t the answer either. The offense stunk

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Tell me you know nothing about this offense without telling me know nothing about this offense.

You know The air raid wasn't exactly burning it down the field either on good sec defenses. Looked like **** against Kentucky too. Oh and looked better when we did what against ole miss? Oh yeah ran the ball more.
When a full seasons of air raid show you dink and dunk down the field, of course a game of running will surprise an opponent. Wow, you're short sighted.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Don't think there's anybody who thinks that. I can see us passing every down on some series and running every down on others. I prefer a balanced offense and one that will utilize some trickery to keep the opponents D off balance. Arnette is smart enough to do whatever keeps the opposing D guessing.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
a 85/15 Pass/Run attack under Leach to a 40/60 Pass/Run under Arnette of which I'm fine with. I wasn't a big fan of the air raid, but I supported the Pirate and hoped his philosophy would work in the SEC. We'll still throw the ball a lot, but will run much more. Therefore, instead of going into next year with 8-12 WRs, we really only need 4-8 WRs. I like the ones we have provided they come back. Justin Robinson was just beginning to show what a big time talent he can be. Believe he will be our featured receiver. Hopefully, Walley stays. And I really like Kayden Pope....feel like he'll be a big time receiver. Tulu leaving hurts, but we are just not going to need the receiving numbers that the air raid required. We also have a lot of nice OL redshirting who I think we'll like over the next 2-3 years. I'm optimistic as long as Will stays put. He's a smart guy. He can adapt to a new offense.
I can’t wait for a more heavy run scheme. The last few years were tough to watch offensively.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Leach had no choice but Will at QB who looked great against sub par D's but the better ones took advantage of Will's Limitations and stopped us. It's Sad Leach never got to get more of his players in to fix what needed fixing. Barbay's first game he coached at App State last year was agin NC where the run / pass ratio was 43-36 and scored 60 total points. There were indeed run heavy games that followed but overall for the year it was 474-359 or 57% to 43%. Agin Coastal Carolina they went 27-28. I'm thinking Barbay's gonna watch film and see what he has to work with in regards to where we go next and he's also an excellent play caller with fast tempo looking for weak spots to exploit via Run OR Pass. There's no way you look at his last 2 years and say this guy doesn't understand today's passing game considering the stellar pass game efficiency ratings his teams put up. Last year App State avg'd 201 on the ground and 251 thru the air.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
We improved with the Air Raid under Leach every year and won 9 games this year. Was looking forward to next year with a really experienced QB and some veterans returning. "Why are you in the Air Raid cult? We lost at Kentucky with the Air Raid." Yeah, but we won 9 games and it's not unusual for State under any coach to not win some away games. See State football history. I would like to see more runs, 5-10 more per game, but we just won 9 games including an Egg Bowl win and a Jan. 3 bowl game against a pretty good Illinois team. I hope Zach and the new OC don't have a typical first-year MSU coach year and we win 7-9 games. "The cult is strong with this one. Look, Air Raid groupie, the Big Ten sucks and our offense was bad with long spells of not doing much. You need an intervention." This is a great message board.

Reactions: Ibdancin

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
We improved with the Air Raid under Leach every year and won 9 games this year. Was looking forward to next year with a really experienced QB and some veterans returning. "Why are you in the Air Raid cult? We lost at Kentucky with the Air Raid." Yeah, but we won 9 games and it's not unusual for State under any coach to not win some away games. See State football history. I would like to see more runs, 5-10 more per game, but we just won 9 games including an Egg Bowl win and a Jan. 3 bowl game against a pretty good Illinois team. I hope Zach and the new OC don't have a typical first-year MSU coach year and we win 7-9 games. "The cult is strong with this one. Look, Air Raid groupie, the Big Ten sucks and our offense was bad with long spells of not doing much. You need an intervention." This is a great message board.
1) we did not improve every year in the Air Raid system. 2022 was a step back compared to 2021 offensively.
2) ‘we won 9 games’ argument for wanting to continue to see the air raid doesn’t make sense. We won 9 games despite our offense. 20.2 PPG (offense only) in SEC + Illinois games is bad. There’s no sugar coating it
3) there’s a reason why once Arnett took over he completely wiped out the air raid system. We can and will have a more successful offense next year

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I think we have a lot of Jackie Sherrill fans that loved the up the gut, wrestling style of offense. When he was our coach if the QB threw the ball it was "hold your breath". It was likely an interception so stick to the run. Leach and Mullen changed that by bringing in quality QBs but that didn't change the fan base. Any time we lost a game because the defense stuffed our running game they posted "we lost because we didn't run the ball enough". I've realized that their misunderstanding of offensive strategy has been boiled down to "just hand the ball off and we will be fine".

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

This has been beaten into the ground. We can’t run ANY offense against that level of talent unless we also have that level of talent. There is no magic formula. No way of doing it differently that will make it work. The narrative of the Air Raid was pumped up by those who both supported Leach and wanted him to fail as the magic bullet litmus test for a less talented team in the SEC. It was never that simple. With our talent level, success on offense for MSU in the SEC means finishing middle of the pack or slightly below (8th - 10th ish in the SEC) in scoring / yards and not beating yourself with turnovers. Mullen’s system offered that, as did Leach’s. To do any better, you have to have elite talent.

Spend the millions of dollars per year in NIL money and get the level of offensive talent we have absolutely never had in the history of our program. Or don’t and expect the same results as the last 15 years. It’s that simple.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
It was in the top half of the country in yards per game and scored over 30 ppg which was ranked 43.

that’s not bad. It isn’t great either.

It’s great comparatively to MSU standards though.
No, it was bad. We were dead last in the country in explosive plays. 20.2 PPG against SEC teams & Illinois.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
If we go to 60% run, we will be at the bottom of the SEC. Look at this:

Ark. Passed 357 to rushing it 605 and went 6-6.
Auburn: 308 to 488. 5-7
Ole Miss: 387 to 614 lost 5 of the last 6. That lone win was to TAMU and by 3.

I have hope that he realizes that and keeps us just the opposite. We needed more creative runs.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

The bottom teams in the SEC W were run heavy. Fact.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Jesus Christ people. App State had 3000 yards passing this season. We aren’t talking wishbone here.

why are MSU fans so damn scared of offense. We have people acting like it is an impossibility to adapt here. If that is the case then shut the **** down

So did Ark. They went 6-6.

TAMU was only 300 yards from it. Went 5-7.

And... APP ST had 3000 yards passing and went.... 6-6.

Reactions: mo7888

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
1) we did not improve every year in the Air Raid system. 2022 was a step back compared to 2021 offensively.
2) ‘we won 9 games’ argument for wanting to continue to see the air raid doesn’t make sense. We won 9 games despite our offense. 20.2 PPG (offense only) in SEC + Illinois games is bad. There’s no sugar coating it
3) there’s a reason why once Arnett took over he completely wiped out the air raid system. We can and will have a more successful offense next year
I love posts like these. Makes me laugh.

1- We did improve. Offensive numbers were down a bit due to the lack of deep threat after Polk. Nobody really stepped up to that roll. That's a WR problem. But we did improve in finishing and therefore more wins! WINS is improving.

2- No, you did not. Win those games without the offense. What you are saying is that our defense did their job and our offense did theirs or we would not have won! Remember, Ole Miss was done. We pinned them at their 1 up by 8. All the defense had to do was make a stop and it was over. Instead, the defense allowed them to march 99 yards at the end of the game for an chance to tie it.

3- Arnett is a first time ever HC who has 3 years experience in big boy football. His legacy begins now and that's all we know.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
So did Ark. They went 6-6.

TAMU was only 300 yards from it. Went 5-7.

And... APP ST had 3000 yards passing and went.... 6-6.
So what do you want then, idiot? My point was the dude said we wouldn’t be able to keep receivers. If a wr doesn’t want to play in an offense that has 3000 passing yards then where the 17 do they wanna play?

y’all fools are so neurotic.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I love posts like these. Makes me laugh.

1- We did improve. Offensive numbers were down a bit due to the lack of deep threat after Polk. Nobody really stepped up to that roll. That's a WR problem. But we did improve in finishing and therefore more wins! WINS is improving.

2- No, you did not. Win those games without the offense. What you are saying is that our defense did their job and our offense did theirs or we would not have won! Remember, Ole Miss was done. We pinned them at their 1 up by 8. All the defense had to do was make a stop and it was over. Instead, the defense allowed them to march 99 yards at the end of the game for an chance to tie it.

3- Arnett is a first time ever HC who has 3 years experience in big boy football. His legacy begins now and that's all we know.
Polk was a deep threat? Lololololololol. You show your idiocy right there.

Reactions: 77Dog

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Jesus Christ people. App State had 3000 yards passing this season. We aren’t talking wishbone here.

why are MSU fans so damn scared of offense. We have people acting like it is an impossibility to adapt here. If that is the case then shut the **** down
Proponents of the AR were not wanting to stay in the 'Leach' version. We wanted more running and a TE or two added to the system. That along with a mobile qb to extend plays would have worked fine. We wanted to adapt through the existing offense. But it doesn't matter at this point. We got what we got.

LimaoCabeca

Nov 17, 2022
I think of offenses like I do of women—there’s pretty ones of every type. Just hope ours won’t take more than a few bourbons to look at.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
After reading this board coming up with theories about our future offense and football team I feel like I'm watching Ancient Aliens or an Oliver Stone JFK Assasination special. There are as many absolutely certain theories posted as there are Joey Fishwater trolling tweets.

My favorite theory so far is just how alarming it is that we hired so many young guns in our sports department. You would think our new coaches and AD just graduated college and have zero experience. What is the facination with hiring some retread coach?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
This has been beaten into the ground. We can’t run ANY offense against that level of talent unless we also have that level of talent. There is no magic formula. No way of doing it differently that will make it work. The narrative of the Air Raid was pumped up by those who both supported Leach and wanted him to fail as the magic bullet litmus test for a less talented team in the SEC. It was never that simple. With our talent level, success on offense for MSU in the SEC means finishing middle of the pack or slightly below (8th - 10th ish in the SEC) in scoring / yards and not beating yourself with turnovers. Mullen’s system offered that, as did Leach’s. To do any better, you have to have elite talent.

Spend the millions of dollars per year in NIL money and get the level of offensive talent we have absolutely never had in the history of our program. Or don’t and expect the same results as the last 15 years. It’s that simple.
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
One way or another I think the team will take a step back, maybe a significant one. It looks to be falling apart but hopefully Arnette will build something better. We can’t afford to fall very far in recruiting. Even under the circumstances I think we should be looking for seven wins. They need to beat somebody good and make a statement.

A defensive head coach is a pretty big deviation from our recent history but that could be good. Toughness and defense has been State’s calling card and best recruiting wins. Arnette fits the toughness and attitude bill, hopefully he can build recruiting momentum and snag some stars.

Reactions: BoDawg.sixpack

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
It was in the top half of the country in yards per game and scored over 30 ppg which was ranked 43.

that’s not bad. It isn’t great either.

It’s great comparatively to MSU standards though.
It was too much of a roller coaster though. Outside A&M and Pig, SEC D's Stagnated us.

Reactions: BigDawg0074
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login