Feel like we're going from.........

patdog

May 28, 2007
Proponents of the AR were not wanting to stay in the 'Leach' version. We wanted more running and a TE or two added to the system. That along with a mobile qb to extend plays would have worked fine. We wanted to adapt through the existing offense. But it doesn't matter at this point. We got what we got.
What we've got is a lot more like what you say you want than what we had last year was.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Our offense was good enough for us to win nine games last season, which doesn’t happen very often at MSU. Will next year’s offense be good enough for us to win nine games? Idk, but I bet there won’t be nearly as much bitching if we don’t because the offense will be something more traditional and something our fans are more used to and comfortable with.

Reactions: BA Dog

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
So what do you want then, idiot? My point was the dude said we wouldn’t be able to keep receivers. If a wr doesn’t want to play in an offense that has 3000 passing yards then where the 17 do they wanna play?

y’all fools are so neurotic.
Awe look at the big bad poster with the name calling. You so grown. LOL!

What I want is a proven offense that attracts skill players so that we can be known as a place to go and not change styles every 2 to 3 years. Notice the QB Room and WR room was better than it has ever been.

What I want is to not return to a run heavy offense that will no longer attract QBs that can throw the ball to sub par WRs.

The question is, "what will we have?" That's not known because there is no track record of this system or OC to speak of. When you tell people who our OC is they will say "Who?" You think that's magically going to change? Recruiting is hard enough as it is.

But at this point, it doesn't matter what I want nor what you want. We are going to get what we are going to get. So I will pay my dues/fees/etc and support the new staff and remind everybody that wanted this style to give them the right amount of time to recruit the needs and see the results. I see no less than 3 years unless we really tank.

Reactions: wrapit and mo7888

patdog

May 28, 2007
Our offense was good enough for us to win nine games last season, which doesn’t happen very often at MSU. Will next year’s offense be good enough for us to win nine games? Idk, but I bet there won’t be nearly as much bitching if we don’t because the offense will be something more traditional and something our fans are more used to and comfortable with.
So tired of this argument. Heck, Iowas offense was good enough to win 8 games & they only averaged a Croom-like 251 yards per game. We didn’t win 9 games because of the offense.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Still waiting for Ibdancin to explain how a guy that averaged 10 yards per reception was our “deep threat”.
Still waiting on you to respond to the fact that run heavy offenses in the SEC west finished in the bottom of the SEC W.

Averaging 10 per does not mean he was not a deep threat. All that means is that we do throw bubbles, screens...etc too.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
So tired of this argument. Heck, Iowas offense was good enough to win 8 games & they only averaged a Croom-like 251 yards per game. We didn’t win 9 games because of the offense.
Yes we did. Name the games that we won without any offensive scores.

We already went throw the Ole Miss game. Up by 8 at the end of the game. Pinned them on their 1. Was it the offense that allowed them to drive the 99 yards for a TD?

This is a team sport that requires STs, Offense, and Defense. And all of them are required to be on the field.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
1) we did not improve every year in the Air Raid system. 2022 was a step back compared to 2021 offensively.
2) ‘we won 9 games’ argument for wanting to continue to see the air raid doesn’t make sense. We won 9 games despite our offense. 20.2 PPG (offense only) in SEC + Illinois games is bad. There’s no sugar coating it
3) there’s a reason why once Arnett took over he completely wiped out the air raid system. We can and will have a more successful offense next year
We improved. We won more games each year. That's improvement. I don't look back on previous 9-win seasons and say "yeah but the offense was better when we lost more games including the Egg Bowl so that's not really improving." You don't get selected to a January 6 bowl game by having a better offense than the previous year. And the previous year we lost the Egg Bowl. Wins to me matter more than offensive rankings.

"We won 9 games despite our offense."
We won 9 games with our offense, and defense and special teams.

"20.2 PPG (offense only) in SEC + Illinois games is bad. There’s no sugar coating it"

9 games with an Egg Bowl and January Bowl win. I have an SEC family and friends and cousins who graduated from other SEC schools, including Ole Miss. None of them say "yeah, you may have won 9 games but dude, that offense was ranked lower than last year when you won fewer games, lost the Egg Bowl and lost the bowl game. Thus, don't say State improved. State just won more games. That's not improving"

"we won 9 games’ argument for wanting to continue to see the air raid doesn’t make sense."

I'm more than happy with not making sense by suggesting that we improved every year under Leach because we won more football games each year and lost fewer games each, and Leach recruited for an Air Raid system so maybe we might want to continue with some version of it which includes more rushing attempts. I'm also fine if Arnett's offense gets us 9 wins next year. I'm also fine with nuanced arguments, even on message boards. A quick look at State's football history shows that we need some of the big schools to have down years to get to 9 wins.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The bottom teams in the SEC W were run heavy. Fact.
Actually not fact for the sec at all. Nobody is saying we are going to run 70 percent. We were the highest percentage passing team in the country. Georgia is 76th at 46.4 percent passing plays. Tennessee 81 46.22. Lsu 50 at 50.46. Alabama 46 at 50.83. So the best teams are balanced and are actually slightly more run heavy. App state was 95 at 44% that's right behind Tennessee and Georgia in pass play percentage. Central Michigan was 48% the year before when Barbay was there. So he is pretty balanced and balanced teams win big and have the best scoring offenses.

Your stance is not based on facts at all. Arkansas and ole miss who were even more run heavy this year still had higher scoring offenses than us too.

College Football Stats - College FB Team Passing Play Percentage | TeamRankings.com
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/passing-play-pct?date=2023-01-10

To add to this. In 2010 we had same record as this air raid squad. We passed 32%. We won't be anywhere close to that 32% again but we still won 9 games. 2014 we passed 43 percent. Best season we had outside of 98. So seems to be we are at our best the more close to balanced we are.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The bottom teams in the SEC W were run heavy. Fact.
Just pure fallacy. Our coach we hired is right there with Georgia Tennessee bama in passing play percentage. Y'all think we are going to come out and run 70 percent when it will probably be around 50-60 which is right there with the top offense in the country so just stop spewing this fake ******** to fit you whiny narrative

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We improved. We won more games each year. That's improvement. I don't look back on previous 9-win seasons and say "yeah but the offense was better when we lost more games including the Egg Bowl so that's not really improving." You don't get selected to a January 6 bowl game by having a better offense than the previous year. And the previous year we lost the Egg Bowl. Wins to me matter more than offensive rankings.

"We won 9 games despite our offense."
We won 9 games with our offense, and defense and special teams.

"20.2 PPG (offense only) in SEC + Illinois games is bad. There’s no sugar coating it"

9 games with an Egg Bowl and January Bowl win. I have an SEC family and friends and cousins who graduated from other SEC schools, including Ole Miss. None of them say "yeah, you may have won 9 games but dude, that offense was ranked lower than last year when you won fewer games, lost the Egg Bowl and lost the bowl game. Thus, don't say State improved. State just won more games. That's not improving"

"we won 9 games’ argument for wanting to continue to see the air raid doesn’t make sense."

I'm more than happy with not making sense by suggesting that we improved every year under Leach because we won more football games each year and lost fewer games each, and Leach recruited for an Air Raid system so maybe we might want to continue with some version of it which includes more rushing attempts. I'm also fine if Arnett's offense gets us 9 wins next year. I'm also fine with nuanced arguments, even on message boards. A quick look at State's football history shows that we need some of the big schools to have down years to get to 9 wins.
People are bitching about the offensive change that's what people are pointing out. People that want air raid are using the record to say it was working. We won 9 with a run heavy spread to. Much more so run heavy than what Barbay is bringing. Balance. Not the highest pass percentage in the damn country. The best teams in sec were balanced and actually slightly more run which based on his past two seasons is where our OC will be

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
To add to this. Each year our percent of pass plays got less. Last year we were at 73 percent compared to 68 percent this year and we won more games. We won more games this year when we ran the ball more. Nobody is saying turn into navy or Air Force. But we are saying be more like Georgia Tennessee Alabama lsu and be more balanced. Texas am was the closest sec team to us in pass play percentage at 53%. A good 15% below and they were terrible on offense.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
We are rarely one of the best teams in the SEC and hardly ever mentioned as one of the teams in the SEC by non-State fans.

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
Tell me you know nothing about this offense without telling me know nothing about this offense.

You know The air raid wasn't exactly burning it down the field either on good sec defenses. Looked like **** against Kentucky too. Oh and looked better when we did what against ole miss? Oh yeah ran the ball more.
this this this this

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
To add to this. Each year our percent of pass plays got less. Last year we were at 73 percent compared to 68 percent this year and we won more games. We won more games this year when we ran the ball more. Nobody is saying turn into navy or Air Force. But we are saying be more like Georgia Tennessee Alabama lsu and be more balanced. Texas am was the closest sec team to us in pass play percentage at 53%. A good 15% below and they were terrible on offense.
Where did we rank on time of possession and how do we compare to S. Carolina and Missouri? I actually don't care about that stat.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Where did we rank on time of possession and how do we compare to S. Carolina and Missouri? I actually don't care about that stat.
Stat you should care about. 22 season 26th app State scoring offense. Mississippi State 47. 21 season cmu 36 msu 68. Pair that with a pretty good defense and good recruiting and we will be fine

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

37th in FEI offense (advanced metrics). So we weren’t great, but far from bad. With very average talent.

The Air Raid was fine. As good as any other offense we’ve had. But we can improve.

We also have to throw the ball in the modern game. The rules just make it too easy not to, and you’re giving up an advantage.

You also need to run it when it’s obvious. But those obvious runs this year were also set up because of our continuous threat to pass with WRs all over the field.

All of these things can be factual. A lot of it depends on the QB you have. With Rogers, we need more WRs. With a more mobile guy we may get away with a TE. I personally think we need to stay on the pass heavy side of things in the short term.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I'm cool if the new OC improves our offense. If improvement comes with fewer wins and an Egg Bowl loss, I might thing otherwise.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I'm cool if the new OC improves our offense. If improvement comes with fewer wins and an Egg Bowl loss, I might thing otherwise.
I think we will be okay. We are moving to a balanced offense that will help our defense. Our defenses have been decent under arnett. Before we came to msu he was apart of a top 4 defense staff. Lot of reasons why his defense could have dropped off. Competition difference etc but it could be because we didn't emphasize defensive recruiting last three years and our offense wasn't exactly complimentary for our defense snd going for it so much on 4th and not play field position didn't help either. We have picked up some nice defensive pieces this off season that I don't remember us doing the last three years.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Leach did the best he could with the only QB option he had despite Will's limitations.

LSU: 109-34 for a net 75 yds rushing (3 sacks for 12) along with 24-42-1 for 214 yds passing an a grand total of 16 points. 2nd half offensive collapse with only 3 points, giving LSU scoring opportunities from a worn out D.

KY: O scored 10. 22 yds net rushing with 203 passing. Offense cost us a SEC Road Win.

Bamer: 93-31 for 62 yds net rushing (2-15 sack losses) 30 for 61 231 yds passing and only scored at the very end of the game.

AU: Up 24-6 at half but a complete offensive melt in the 2nd caused what should have been a blow out went into OT. 3rd - 4th QTR: Downs, INT, punt, punt, punt , punt then a TD to take it into OT thankfully. Offensive ineptitude and stagnation giving AU scoring opportunities.

UGA--- 54-7 (1 Will Sack) for 47 net rushing yards combined with 29-52 -0 in passing for low yardage and 18 total points scored.

Tsun: 166-69 for 97 yds net rushing (Will 2-21 sack yds lost) ... 27-41-1 passing for 239 yards.

Too many offenses did so much better against the D's mentioned above. I just think the stagnation against the better D's was primarily due to having a QB who can't run a lick or hang on to the ball after contact. His inability to stretch the field with his arm also allows D's to zero in more conveniently. I look forward to play actions and draw plays that actually WORK due to lack of predictability. Up Tempo and less predictable taking away the advantages the better D's had against us last year.

Aug 22, 2012
It’s more like 45/55 but the production is more like 57/43.

I’ll take that production if he hits those numbers here.

People are emotional. Our offense in 2022 wasn’t bad. It also wasn’t great.
Exactly, App St had a good bit more passing yards than rushing. They were also a lot higher in offense in the national rankings than we were.

I hoped that the air raid would work but seeing 8 less passes for a 1 yard gain won't hurt my feelings. People act like we scored more than one TD in the last 3 years against Bama. Also Bama's defense the last three years are the worst defenses they have had in a while.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Still waiting on you to respond to the fact that run heavy offenses in the SEC west finished in the bottom of the SEC W.

Averaging 10 per does not mean he was not a deep threat. All that means is that we do throw bubbles, screens...etc too.

You are the only dumbass claiming that we are going to be a run heavy team. Just because we, for once in 3 years, will actually CALL a run play, doesn’t mean we will be a run dominant team.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
You are the only dumbass claiming that we are going to be a run heavy team. Just because we, for once in 3 years, will actually CALL a run play, doesn’t mean we will be a run dominant team.
He's just mad we won't be leading the league in pass attempts. When the closest team to us in the sec including air raid tree Tennessee had 15 less pass attempts per game. Tennessee had 17 less pass attempts per game than us. They called 22% less pass plays than we did. Nobody called offense like leach. Even some of his biggest disciples. Georgia southern was close but they weren't as high as app State in scoring offense either.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Actually not fact for the sec at all. Nobody is saying we are going to run 70 percent. We were the highest percentage passing team in the country. Georgia is 76th at 46.4 percent passing plays. Tennessee 81 46.22. Lsu 50 at 50.46. Alabama 46 at 50.83. So the best teams are balanced and are actually slightly more run heavy. App state was 95 at 44% that's right behind Tennessee and Georgia in pass play percentage. Central Michigan was 48% the year before when Barbay was there. So he is pretty balanced and balanced teams win big and have the best scoring offenses.

Your stance is not based on facts at all. Arkansas and ole miss who were even more run heavy this year still had higher scoring offenses than us too.

College Football Stats - College FB Team Passing Play Percentage | TeamRankings.com
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/passing-play-pct?date=2023-01-10

To add to this. In 2010 we had same record as this air raid squad. We passed 32%. We won't be anywhere close to that 32% again but we still won 9 games. 2014 we passed 43 percent. Best season we had outside of 98. So seems to be we are at our best the more close to balanced we are.
It is a fact.

- I said in the SEC west
- I said run heavy, not balanced.

The OP stated a 40/60. My response was to that. My stats PROVE that per your own link. You issue still remains arguing something that nobody is arguing against!

124Arkansas38.49%

Were they at the bottom of the SEC west? YES!

115Auburn41.49%

Were they ranked lower than us? Yes. Had they not played the cup cake schedule they would have been even lower.

122Mississippi39.05%

Had Ole Miss not played an easy schedule they would have been way lower.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
LOL!! Little man, get your facts straight. Stop lying, or learn to read.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
I think we have a lot of Jackie Sherrill fans that loved the up the gut, wrestling style of offense. When he was our coach if the QB threw the ball it was "hold your breath". It was likely an interception so stick to the run. Leach and Mullen changed that by bringing in quality QBs but that didn't change the fan base. Any time we lost a game because the defense stuffed our running game they posted "we lost because we didn't run the ball enough". I've realized that their misunderstanding of offensive strategy has been boiled down to "just hand the ball off and we will be fine".
I absolutely hated the offense in the Sherrill years. If we had a real passing threat in 99 especially, we win all of our regular season games.
I would like to see, however, us running a freaking toss sweep out of a pro set with a FB up every once in a while. I can't remember the last time I saw it ran in college or pro.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I absolutely hated the offense in the Sherrill years. If we had a real passing threat in 99 especially, we win all of our regular season games.
I would like to see, however, us running a freaking toss sweep out of a pro set with a FB up every once in a while. I can't remember the last time I saw it ran in college or pro.
Yep. I've also never understood the lack of incorporating more from the half back pass . If you have the right players, I think it could work well in the short-intermediate passing game instead of the Hail Mary's they are typically designed for. Would like to see 2-3 of these every game cuz even if unsuccessful, they mess with defensive minds. Opening up other schit and stuff.

Last edited:

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Since hardly anybody in college or pro football even carries a FB anymore that would be difficult to do.

Reactions: drumrcraig

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
In theory, I suppose you could increase tempo significantly and decrease scoring efficiency slightly. By virtue of a greater number of possessions, you could score more points but also give your opponents more possessions. Assuming their scoring efficiency doesn’t change, that necessarily leads to them scoring more points.
(This has basically nothing to do with the argument at hand)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login