Ferrie should have his scholly pulled and kicked out of school

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
For a high school kicker. I get your point but this is the SEC, a Power five school kicker. Regardless of the hash mark it’s a 29 yard field goal.
The distance isn’t the issue. Its the angle….goal post gap is smaller and you’re having to open up to send it to the right. Very easy to push it. Its arguably an easier kick from 35-40 yards from that left hash for a left footed kicker than it is at 29 yards.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Angry Do It GIF by Jamie O'Rourke

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
The distance isn’t the issue. It’s the angle….goal post gap is smaller and you’re having to open up to send it to the right. Very easy to push it. It’s arguably an easier kick from 35-40 yards from that left hash for a right footed kicker than it is at 29 yards.
Again, we’re talking about an SEC power five conference kicker. This isn’t Belhaven or Meridian High School. I don’t care what hash mark it’s on, it’s a 29 yard field goal. Forget all the kicker hashmark excuses, just go for the one yard with Mike Wright on a read option to win the game!

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
For a high school kicker. I get your point but this is the SEC, a Power five school kicker. Regardless of the hash mark it’s a 29 yard field goal.
Arnett should have taken a delay of game to move him back to lessen the severity of the angle. I was watching the game with my daughter and told her that was a hard angle for a left footed kicker and we'll take a delay of game to move him back. These are the learning curves we have to get through with an inexperienced coach.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Again, we’re talking about an SEC power five conference kicker. This isn’t Belhaven or Meridian High School. I don’t care what hash mark it’s on, it’s a 29 yard field goal. Forget all the kicker hashmark excuses, just go for the one yard with Mike Wright on a read option to win the game!
Any power 5 kicker will tell you that’s a tough kick to make.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
Arnett should have taken a delay of game to move him back to lessen the severity of the angle. I was watching the game with my daughter and told her that was a hard angle for a left footed kicker and we'll take a delay of game to move him back. These are the learning curves we have to get through with an inexperienced coach.
If that’s your take, fine. Football is not rocket science. These guys get paid millions of dollars to make simple decisions that kids make better playing Madden. So Arnett took two delay of game penalties to just punt the ball. How did that work out? Why even take them there, our punter probably would have faired better pinning them back closer to the goal line without them anyway. I just don’t like excuses. Especially for as high a level as we play in. At the end of the day it’s a 29 yard field goal.

• Sad

patdog

May 28, 2007
The distance isn’t the issue. Its the angle….goal post gap is smaller and you’re having to open up to send it to the right. Very easy to push it. Its arguably an easier kick from 35-40 yards from that left hash for a right footed kicker than it is at 29 yards.
True. But at this level, youve got to make that FG every time.

• Sad

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t disagree at all with going for it vs. kicking it. I think kicking was the wrong call for sure. I’ll also throw in that as a coach, you have to make the call on kicking vs. going for it on 3rd down. Again I don’t agree at all with kicking, but if that’s the move, you make sure it’s the best possible position on the field to make it….if you don’t pick up the first. You know you are calling a running play no matter what. Don’t call something towards the left boundary and make the FG harder than it has to be.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
True. But at this level, youve got to make that FG every time.
Its not going to be made every time, at any level. Hell, its about the same as the NFL extra point distance (which is from wherever they want to snap it based on kicker preference, but usually centered), and even pros miss those occasionally.

All of the above is why we should have gone for it and not even messed with the FG.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Reminded me of 2 years ago and nearly the identical set up. Same end zone?, about the same spot on the field, tough angle and was thinking surely not again. Shirley it was and same leg side push a foot outside.
Have to say I laughed as just fitting with the game and even our beloved St, Ferrie was getting caught up in the CF. (But still St, Ferrie to me.)

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
  • Kicking the field goal was the right call.
  • You don't base the 3rd down call on setting up for the field goal--the call should be made based on what the coordinator thinks will achieve a 1st down.
  • Bottom line--JUST MAKE THE KICK, BAD ANGLE OR NOT!!! I'm sure Ferrie would agree with this.
  • (Proposing "Ferrie should have his scholly pulled and kicked out of school" is ludicrous.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Will Rogers.sixpack

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012

If that’s your take, fine. Football is not rocket science. These guys get paid millions of dollars to make simple decisions that kids make better playing Madden. So Arnett took two delay of game penalties to just punt the ball. How did that work out? Why even take them there, our punter probably would have faired better pinning them back closer to the goal line without them anyway. I just don’t like excuses. Especially for as high a level as we play in. At the end of the day it’s a 29 yard field goal.
Are you really trying to compare a punt that you have the whole width of the field against a Fg??? Also, Arnett's salary is the bottom $ amount to even get a coach, if they thought he was going to be stolen away he would have been paid more. Sometimes you get what you pay for, and we paid for a learning curve. It's not rocket science.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login