Fire Hutzler now.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Signing him to a guaranteed 4 year contract was stupid.
From a daily Journal article. It's supposed to be an institution of higher learning, so how could MSU be this STUPID regarding an unproven defensive coordinator? Looks like we're probably stuck for at least another year. Why would he retire losing 50% and who in the world is going to want to poach this guy to knock off 50-75% of that salary?

"If MSU fires Hutzler for convenience, he would still be owed all of his remaining salary, but if Hutzler resigns, retires or takes an assistant coach position elsewhere, MSU would owe him only 50 percent of his remaining salary — and if he takes an assistant coaching job at another SEC school, MSU would only owe him 25 percent. Should Hutzler become the head coach at another institution, MSU would still be obligated to pay the entire remainder of his salary."

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
From a daily Journal article. It's supposed to be an institution of higher learning, so how could MSU be this STUPID regarding an unproven defensive coordinator? Looks like we're probably stuck for at least another year.

"If MSU fires Hutzler for convenience, he would still be owed all of his remaining salary, but if Hutzler resigns, retires or takes an assistant coach position elsewhere, MSU would owe him only 50 percent of his remaining salary — and if he takes an assistant coaching job at another SEC school, MSU would only owe him 25 percent. Should Hutzler become the head coach at another institution, MSU would still be obligated to pay the entire remainder of his salary."

Jimmy Sexton negotiating with the MSU Athletic Department be like Carl Lewis running in the 100 yard dash in the para-olympics.

Of course it's not just us, Universities sing stupid coaching contracts all the time.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
From a daily Journal article. It's supposed to be an institution of higher learning, so how could MSU be this STUPID regarding an unproven defensive coordinator? Looks like we're probably stuck for at least another year. Why would he retire losing 50% and who in the world is going to want to poach this guy to knock off 50-75% of that salary?

That contract seems to be a head scratcher for me. Leave with without being dismissed, and still get paid. SMH.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Dude's smart for taking that deal. Can't you just demote him to outside linebackers not seeing the field coach or does the contract now allow for something like that?

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022

Let's hope he can learn and get better then. I think he's a terrible play caller, but he does have good qualities like intensity and motivation to build off of. Let's also admit that he has adapted his run defense. I understand that he focused on stopping the run against A&M, but he's also got to not play so soft in the secondary on 3rd downs and other passing downs. That's an easy learning curve, but also a change in thinking. He is putting is players in a bad position, which can lead to poor attitude and attrition. It's time he started adapting more.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Geez. Just delete Lebby/Hutzler and add Croom/McCorvey. The excuses are the exact same too. We never learn.

I thought this all was Leach’s fault? If so, why are we blaming Hutzler? I’m so confused.

• Haha
Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007

We are truly led by idiots.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Can you just hire some co-defensive coordinator, or some assistant head coach, and put him in charge of the defense? Lebby can tell the media repeatedly that it's because Hutzler turned out to be an awful hire, a huge mistake and someone he has no faith in but we have to pay anyway and we want to win games so we can't have him controlling the defense. I don't know how these things work. Sounds kind of awful to treat someone like that but this is big time college football so if you want to get rid of the guy and save money, make him miserable here. Or maybe he figures it out and gets better players.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
What's worse is the article said $1m per year though the 2028 season. How can that be?

2024 - 2025 - 2026 -2027 - 2028 is five seasons. State law is 4 years. Maybe if that is not accurate, maybe some of the other details are off.
Yeah, I don’t know about the years but paying a completely unproven assistant $1M/yr was a criminally terrible decision. OM has former head coaches on $75k analyst contracts right up the road, yet we’re giving away $1M 4-year deals to unqualified assistants just to meet a conference pay scale.

Reactions: patdog

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
If we don’t miss on every single DL worth a crap in the portal this past offseason then this team looks much different. I’d like to see Hutzler with some legit pass rushers. Hes getting better every week with scheme and play calls. Players are playing hard for him and actually making some big stops occasionally now

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
If we don’t miss on every single DL worth a crap in the portal this past offseason then this team looks much different. I’d like to see Hutzler with some legit pass rushers. Hes getting better every week with scheme and play calls. Players are playing hard for him and actually making some big stops occasionally now
If by “we” you mean Hutzler and his defensive staff, I agree, but unfortunately that’s half of the job and he failed miserably at that last offseason too

Bulldogbilly

Mar 19, 2020
What's worse is the article said $1m per year though the 2028 season. How can that be?

2024 - 2025 - 2026 -2027 - 2028 is five seasons. State law is 4 years. Maybe if that is not accurate, maybe some of the other details are off.
Maybe they are referring to fiscal years? MSU’s 2028 fiscal year ends June 30, 2028, four years from now. Whatever, four year contract for a first time coordinator is kind of dumb.

Reactions: Ozarkdawg

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
If by “we” you mean Hutzler and his defensive staff, I agree, but unfortunately that’s half of the job and he failed miserably at that last offseason too
If I recall correctly Hutzler stayed with Bama for a while after we were forced to hire him because nobody wanted to coach a bare cupboard. He should have high tailed it over and started crootin'.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Yeah, I don’t know about the years but paying a completely unproven assistant $1M/yr was a criminally terrible decision. OM has former head coaches on $75k analyst contracts right up the road, yet we’re giving away $1M 4-year deals to unqualified assistants just to meet a conference pay scale.
I agree the paying to stay in the scale is crazy for unproven talent - ability.

I think the reason UM gets to underpay for their annalists is because many are drawing a lot higher severance for not making the grade at their previous stops. But because they failed at a higher grade job doesn't mean they won't make great annalists and this may be their best way to get back in the game.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Toledo was the lowest we can go. We are playing better since then. Our third down performance was very poor, yesterday…still. Hutzler has a four year contract that cost us money no matter how you go. How did a proud defensive college tradition sink this low?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login