"Fire Stans!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2007
I just haven't seen that kind of post lately.

Is it possible that the incredibly douchebag poor floor coach formerly bashed by so many may actually be the best coach in the history of MSU basketball? Just have his record to go on, and all.

I was in school at MSU when some guy named Babe McCarthy was coach. His 1963 team I enjoyed watching in the old gym now named for him, was honored at the Hump tonight. An awesome group.

Stans has done better than da Babe, as a coach. Different time, different game for sure.

RCD

Nov 11, 2007

Is it possible that the incredibly douchebag poor floor coach formerly bashed by so many may actually be the best coach in the history of MSU basketball? Just have his record to go on, and all.

I was in school at MSU when some guy named Babe McCarthy was coach. His 1963 team I enjoyed watching in the old gym now named for him, was honored at the Hump tonight. An awesome group.

Stans has done better than da Babe, as a coach. Different time, different game for sure.

RCD

Nov 11, 2007

RCD

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
RocketCityDawg wrote: _________________________________________________ <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">Stans has done better than da Babe, as a coach. Different time, different game for sure.</span>

1MSUDawgFan

Feb 23, 2008
All you have to do is look at the stats. And as RCD mentioned it's a different time and a different game. Much more compeititive now than it was then.

thedog

Mar 3, 2008
I don't care about different eras. When you are in a league with Adolph Rupp and beat him for the conference championship 4 of 5 years, that's hard to top.

D

Doggy60

but please dont take this the wrong way, in his 10 plus years with some very talented teams he has no idea what getting out of the 2nd round of the dance is like. He needs to have a run at some point in his career, then we can debate whos the best coaches.Maybe this will be the year

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Doggy60 said:
but please dont take this the wrong way, in his 10 plus years with some very talented teams he has no idea what getting out of the 2nd round of the dance is like. He needs to have a run at some point in his career, then we can debate whos the best coaches.Maybe this will be the year

It is funny that with all of those talented teams he doesnt have a single player in the NBA right now. I am not saying we havent had some good players but he has gone up against plenty of SEC teams that have had many NBA players and he has held his own
</p>

D

Doggy60

Just said we had teams that were 26-2 and lost in 2nd round of tourney.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Doggy60 said:
Just said we had teams that were 26-2 and lost in 2nd round of tourney.

Teams? I think we had a team that did that well and got knocked out in the second round. Way to stretch the truth a little bit to help your argument though
</p>

D

Doggy60

Its Obvious that you are one of these guys that love to start **** and you have know idea what the %%#% the argument is really even about. In Fact your that guy that goes to games wearing a blue or yellow shirt no state and thinks you know the answer to everything. SMART ***!!!!!!!!!!!

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Doggy60 said:
Its Obvious that you are one of these guys that love to start **** and you have know idea what the %%#% the argument is really even about. In Fact your that guy that goes to games wearing a blue or yellow shirt no state and thinks you know the answer to everything. SMART ***!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok then name the teams we have had during stansbury's tenure that were 26-2
</p>

D

Doggy60

Excuse Me They where 25-2 and outright SEC champions. Then they lost to Vandy in tourney and then Xavier

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
shot about 80% from 3 point range that game don't you? Kobe and the Lakers would've had a hard time winning that particular day.

cutbaitdawg

Feb 24, 2008
" We maned, we zoned, we triangle and 2 , we squared and 2 and we invented that one during the game. Nothing worked. We tried everything out there and nothing stopped them".

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Doggy60 said:
Excuse Me They where 25-2 and outright SEC champions. Then they lost to Vandy in tourney and then Xavier

Ok that is one team, you said that Stans has taken teams to th etourney with that record. Who was the other one? My point is you were acting like stans had taken multiple teams to the tourney with 2 losses and was knocked out early and that just wasnt the case
</p>

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
Doggy60 said:

Sweet.

What exactly does someone's clothing choice have to do with anything?

You exagerrated and got called on it.</p>

Nov 11, 2007
I was as big a fan of the McCarthy era as all students were at that time; loved watching Red Stroud, Leland Mitchell, Doug Hutton, Joe Dan Gold, et al, and screamed "Rupture Rupp!" as loud as anyone when we played UK, until I was hoarse. That's a defining period for me, when I became an MSU basketball fan for life.

But, as I noted in my original post, the game is SO different now. There wasn't a shot clock back then, and the "McCarthy Stall" became a cliche, as a defensive tactic, when the ball could be controlled for several minutes without having to take a shot. Worked well for him, in many games. We had good ball controllers.

That's just one difference; there have been other rule changes. The most obvious: games started with a "jump ball," where the ref tossed the ball up at midcourt, and two guys jumped and swatted for control. Tie-balls resulted in a jump-ball, not a possession arrow. Tall players usually won that possession.

Should I even mention that we weren't able to draw on the base of skilled black players coming out of HS in MS? Perhaps not, that might be considered racist, even in the contrarian sense.

RCD

edited to add: No 3-point shots, either.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
You can't. Heck, you didn't even get the record of that team right. You do know that losses in the SEC Tournament count towards the overall record?

The point is Stansbury has had 1 team with a great record, and that team ran into a buzzsaw named Xavier. It's hard to get upset about our exits in 2002, 2004, and 2005. 2003, well we probably should have won that game and definantly shouldn't have allowed Butler to dictate the pace. Still, that team went on to beat the great Rick Patino in the second round so they weren't exactly chopped liver.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We'll never know. McCarthy had a better winning percentage. But he also coached in an era when coaches at other schools were being promoted from head basketball coach to assistant football coach. The SEC when McCarthy coached was Kentucky and the 11 dwarfs.

D

Doggy60

In the regular season they were 25-2.....................................IN 2004........ FACT...........out right sec champs and choked choked choked!!!! end of argument!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frances Drebin

Nov 16, 2005
It is funny that with all of those talented teams he doesnt have a single player in the NBA right now.

</p>

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
How did they choke? They lost to a team that hit a shot from around halfcourt at halftime, just to give you an indication of how hot they were. What else could they have possibly done to stop Xavier other than knifing their guards? I'm curious.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
Doggy60

You can't argue with Shitstorm and Shitfieldms.
They are always right and according to them, Stans is the second coming of Dean Smith.

The fact is Stans is 3-4 in the NCAA tourney.
He has not made the sweet 16 yet.
I think if this team gets a good draw in the tourney, Stans has no excuse to not make it this year.
Time will tell.

The facts are Stans is a great recruiter and an average floor coach.
He does not like to practice free-throws, call timeouts and run offensive plays.
He also has horrible substitution patterns.
But the truth is, we should be glad to have him b/c no way in hell we could get anyone better in Starkville.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
They obviously choked because Doggy said so AND he used a lot of exclamation points. What more could you possibly ask for?

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
How ironic that I was just thinking, "This guy is as bad as fishwater," and here you come to defend him.

You idiots who are always wrong love to exagerrate to make your points. No one has ever compared Stans to Dean Smith.

You say he is a great recruiter. Why?
He hasn't had that many marquee recruits. He has a reputation as a great recruiter because of players that he almost got to State but went to the NBA instead. While those instances do prove that Stans can do a good job of getting big time talent to consider Starkville, they sure didn't help us win any games. What the "great recruiter" tag does do is allow people like you to write off any success we have in basketball to our talent and not to our coach.

"He does not like to practice free throws" Well, LSU is first in the conference in free throw shooting. How's that working out for them? There are more important things to work on during limited practice time. It is up to the players to practice free throws on their own time.

"He does not like to run offensive plays." No, he chooses to use a motion offense. Guess what? With our terrible offense we are second in the league in FG percentage. This is more telling than scoring offense because tempo determines how many points a team scores just a much as a good offense. Let me repeat: we are behind only Florida in FG%.

"He has horrible substitution patterns." He knows who he's going to sub for and when before the game even starts. He doesn't let the momentum of the game affect this. I realize some people don't like this, and it drives me crazy sometimes. However, you can't argue with the results. This year Stans has used that to keep our best players fresh and as a result, we have our best lineup on the floor for nearly the entire second half. His strategy has its advantages, but you choose to ignore them.

Edited to add: stats used are for SEC games only.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
fishwater99 said:
Doggy60

You can't argue with Shitstorm and Shitfieldms.
They are always right and according to them, Stans is the second coming of Dean Smith.

First of all, I see you are following the Peaches rule of discussion. If you can't win an argument just throw out idiotic nicknames for them.

Secondly, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never have I said Stans was the second coming of Dean Smith. Why do all of those that like to bash on Stansbury go to extremes? Could it be because your arguments are weak while those you are arguing against use sound reasoning? I have time and again said that Stansbury is a good recruiter and a good coach, not great. I have said those things countless times on this board. He isn't a great coach, but he is a good one. He isn't a great recruiter but he is a good one. That's my view on things and I think that is backed up by his record at a school that sucked in this sport for the vast majority of its history and one that is located in the middle of nowhere. Now, if you wish to make a sound argument go right ahead. But, if I've learned anything about you it's that you are unable to do this.</p>

MaroonedinPA

Jul 22, 2007
Some of the posters in this thread sound like my 11 year old grandson and his friends when they argue about video games.

D

Doggy60

Stormrider81 said:
How did they choke? They lost to a team that hit a shot from around halfcourt at halftime, just to give you an indication of how hot they were. What else could they have possibly done to stop Xavier other than knifing their guards? I'm curious.

</p>A 2 seed in the tourney and losing to a much lower seed is called chokeing. I feel like Im arguing with 3rd graders!

D

Doggy60

VegasDawg13 said:
They obviously choked because Doggy said so AND he used a lot of exclamation points. What more could you possibly ask for?

To get out of the 2nd round of F UC KIN Tourney you MORON!</p>

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
even though they made pretty much everything they threw up, we still should have beaten them. They were the hottest team in the country, beating undefeated St. Joe's a week earlier in the A-10 Tournament. They were white hot in that game. Yet you say we choked, meaning we should have won, and you call me the 3rd grader.</p>

D

Doggy60

Brian anybody that has a picture of a gay cartoon dog should not be included in sports conversations.

D

Doggy60

Stormrider get off this board your missing one hell of a game of Metal Gear 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login