Fletcher Cox, Yazoo, and the Super Bowl...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That's great that he gave back to Yazoo City. I do wonder, however, when he might also give back to Mississippi State.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I had a customer a few years back from Philly, PA whose side hobby was cars and got to meet Fletch and talk to him several times at those car show deals. Says Fletch was real nice and very knowledgeable about cars and stuff. He also said "He's the biggest human being I ever met" .. LOL.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Rick, thanks for the great story from my neck of the woods. It is truly amazing how many great athletes come from small Mississippi towns like Yazoo City. Zach Arnett and staff understands this.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Great article. Lots of famous people from Yazoo. You didn’t mention the witch, but I don’t imagine she’s sports related.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
That's great that he gave back to Yazoo City. I do wonder, however, when he might also give back to Mississippi State.

It would be cool if he did, but he certainly doesn’t owe MSU anything. MSU already benefitted a hell of a lot from him coming for 3 years. He could have gone almost anywhere he wanted, and would have been the same elite specimen 1st round draft pick regardless.

Reactions: kired and aTotal360

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Last edited:

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Tell me more…truly interested.

Google it. Cliff notes version is Yazoo City had a woman that lured fisherman in to her lair and killed them. Sheriff finally caught up to her and chased in the swamps, but sank in quick sand. Her last words were she was coming back to burn the town down. In 1904 Yazoo had a terrible fire, 20 years to the day of the witch’s proclamation.

Last edited:
Reactions: RivaDawg

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
I do not know anything and prove it every day by not telling anybody anything I don’t know.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Google it. Cliff notes version is Yazoo City had a woman that lured fisherman in to her lair and killed them. Sheriff finally caught up to her and chased in the swamps, but sank in quick sand. Her last words were she was coming back to burn the town down. In 1904 Yazoo had a terrible fire, 100 years to the day of the witch’s proclamation.
Good synopsis.

Here's a little more of anyone's interested.

Reactions: RivaDawg
Sep 7, 2012
Good synopsis.

Here's a little more of anyone's interested.

Fact: Willie Morris's grave is 13 steps from the Witch of Yazoo's grave.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Google it. Cliff notes version is Yazoo City had a woman that lured fisherman in to her lair and killed them. Sheriff finally caught up to her and chased in the swamps, but sank in quick sand. Her last words were she was coming back to burn the town down. In 1904 Yazoo had a terrible fire, 100 years to the day of the witch’s proclamation.

What kind of a lair are we talking here? Cave? Underground burrow? Rickety treehouse? I never knew witches had lairs. Thought their normal protocol was just building a creepy cabin in the woods.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
What kind of a lair are we talking here? Cave? Underground burrow? Rickety treehouse? I never knew witches had lairs. Thought their normal protocol was just building a creepy cabin in the woods.
Yeah, probably creepy cabin in the woods, but could be a hollow log like Bobby Bare song Marie Leveau.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login