Flo Top 100

412Mike

Oct 12, 2021
Zain coming in at 98 in Flo’s top 100 wrestlers of all time. As a younger guy who’s not familiar with too many guys from earlier than the 90’s, this hurts my brain to fathom!

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Depends on the criteria and weighing. If it's purely international results, then it makes sense. But if it's even 50% college results, that's a farce.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

412Mike

Oct 12, 2021
Depends on the criteria and weighing. If it's purely international results, then it makes sense. But if it's even 50% college results, that's a farce.
Seems like they are including all accolades starting from college. Zains Failure to find success at the senior level is what is holding him back. I can’t see at Ruth being ranked any better.

Oh and they have women included in this as well….Zain already got beat out by 2 women and they only posted 100-91

Oct 7, 2021
If Zain is this low, no way Spencer is making the list. And to answer someone else's question, yeah...I think DT is only other PSU guy to make the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cali_Nittany

412Mike

Oct 12, 2021
If Zain is this low, no way Spencer is making the list. And to answer someone else's question, yeah...I think DT is only other PSU guy to make the list.
Flo teased an Instagram post the other day with pictures of Spencer, Zain, Bo, and Jordan Oliver, with a caption of “Only one of these 4 made the top 100.” So I don’t think anyone currently in college is making the list with the exception of Gable possibly. The OLY gold might get him in.

McPat

Oct 31, 2021
I won't be surprised to see Hall, Nolf, Nickal, Ruth and/or Kolat in addition to DT.

Zain won 3.. and AA'd as a true Freshman... and won two Hodges... But Nolf and Nickal were 4x finalists, Hall won as a true Freshman and made every final he could, Ruth also won 3 and was an injury default away from ??? (and still 3rd that year) and if the list considers pre and/or post college success too, Kolat could easily make it.

It may be surprising to some that Nolf, Nickal and Ruth all had a higher career bonus % than Zain. A lot of that may be because Zain wrestled as a true freshman when the others didn't, but would you argue if any of them showed up slightly ahead of Zain?

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
I won't be surprised to see Hall, Nolf, Nickal, Ruth and/or Kolat in addition to DT.

Zain won 3.. and AA'd as a true Freshman... and won two Hodges... But Nolf and Nickal were 4x finalists, Hall won as a true Freshman and made every final he could, Ruth also won 3 and was an injury default away from ??? (and still 3rd that year) and if the list considers pre and/or post college success too, Kolat could easily make it.

It may be surprising to some that Nolf, Nickal and Ruth all had a higher career bonus % than Zain. A lot of that may be because Zain wrestled as a true freshman when the others didn't, but would you argue if any of them showed up slightly ahead of Zain?
I'd be shocked to see Nickal, given Flo's tweet that only one of Zain/Bo/Oliver/Lee made the list.

With Zain at #98 and Bo not making the list, hard to see Hall or Ruth making it. The list is obviously heavy on senior-level international success.

Kolat -- yes. He'll be there.

Folkstylefan

Oct 13, 2021
Flo is all about frestyle since they put out so much to lock down rights for tournaments. They can’t really take free results in they’re rankings for college so they do this lol. Freestyle is different from folk and results and scoring differences prove that, no matter how much all you freestyle lovers want to so its the mostly the same.

412Mike

Oct 12, 2021

With Flo already saying Bo didn’t, make the list, and Hall only having one NCAA title and zero senior level dominance, he might now even crack a top 200 list. Then you have to use Zain as a litmus test for other hammers like Nolf and Ruth. Were they that THAT much better? Did they have more senior level success! They did not. Other than DT, the only other guy I can think of is Molinaro, and again, he does not pass the Zain test. DT will be the only other Lion on the list unless they greatly undervalued Zain or there is some old timer I didn’t know existed.

APSPSUwrestlingfan

Oct 30, 2021
With Flo already saying Bo didn’t, make the list, and Hall only having one NCAA title and zero senior level dominance, he might now even crack a top 200 list. Then you have to use Zain as a litmus test for other hammers like Nolf and Ruth. Were they that THAT much better? Did they have more senior level success! They did not. Other than DT, the only other guy I can think of is Molinaro, and again, he does not pass the Zain test. DT will be the only other Lion on the list unless they greatly undervalued Zain or there is some old timer I didn’t know existed.
That's what flo does. They make lists, not sense.

Reactions: El_Jefe

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
James Green is 91. He twice finished 3rd at NCAAs, never reached the finals.

That pretty much gives away the game -- the list is heavily weighted toward international careers.

In which case, Taylor and Kolat are the only other PSU wrestlers who definitely will make the list. Molinaro might make the list but seems like an outside chance (better folk career, less freestyle success than Green). Similar odds, maybe a little less for Sunny Abe. Microscopic chance of Chertow. Hard to think of anyone else with much of a chance of making the list.

nerfstate

Oct 11, 2021
James Green is 91. He twice finished 3rd at NCAAs, never reached the finals.

That pretty much gives away the game -- the list is heavily weighted toward international careers.

In which case, Taylor and Kolat are the only other PSU wrestlers who definitely will make the list. Molinaro might make the list but seems like an outside chance (better folk career, less freestyle success than Green). Similar odds, maybe a little less for Sunny Abe. Microscopic chance of Chertow. Hard to think of anyone else with much of a chance of making the list.
McCoy might have a shot. Whatever. I’m not going to waste neurons on this list…

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
McCoy might have a shot. Whatever. I’m not going to waste neurons on this list…
Good catch with Kerry, yeah he'll make it.

And, yes, we've both wasted too much brainpower on this list.